Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 19:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/286/165 Female 66 inches
BF:46%/46%/22.5 or <
Progress: 0%
Question How did you choose your goal weight?

I was curious as to how everyone settled on their particular goal weight. Yesterday, I made the decision to up mine. I realize that a lot of us are thinking more about our health and a particular size than we are about what the scale says. Having been overweight my entire life (I weighed 165 when I was 12 and 5'4"), I really don't know realistically how low I can go. I believe that I will undoubtedly have an excess of skin (stretch marks since early 20's and 3 deliveries in mid-30's). I believe how low one can go must be related to how long they have been overweight. What do you all think? Thanks for your imput!

Shari
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 19:51

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

In my case it just seemd like a good number to settle on. I figure until I get within 20 lbs or so of my "goal" weight I won't really know if it's a good one for my body or not. I have been fat so long, I am just playing it by ear!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 20:27
Registered Member

Stats: 320/280/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I picked 150 because that's the lowest I have been since I was 11 years old. I wasn't too overweight then and since I am a couple inches taller now I think it would be an ideal weight. Realistically I see nothing wrong with that goal. I am young and my skin is pretty elastic still so maybe i won't end up with that much excess skin (i hope).
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 20:44

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I chose a weight that I remember being comfortable at...

...and where I looked good. I've always been a beefy boy, so I don't really even want to be as small as many charts suggest I should be.

But when I reach goal, we'll see. I may have to dip down another 25 lbs.

Good luck everyone!

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 00:04

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 320/273.8/270 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

I picked my target because at that weight I looked AND felt good. I was also pretty athletic at that age (much more so than now!) and was carrying a good bit of muscle in that 160lbs.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 05:36

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

It was the weight I was in high school. . .when I thought I was fat! DUH! At 5'6" I feel for me this is a good weight. . .Plus my 11 yr old daughter and I can share clothes! hehehe redawn
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 07:03

Stats: 278/204/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Normal BMI

I'm not sure where I will end up, but I picked my weight because it gives me a normal BMI. I may lower it when I get close to it.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 09:23
Registered Member

Stats: 306/275/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 21%

I started H.S. at 153 lbs and thought I was fat. I was, sort of. I was also 5 inches shorter than I am now.

I really don't know what made me choose it-I think I was looking at a chart or something.

Realistically, it may have to change because with low carb, you can be much smaller at a heavier weight than before. I guess I should say I want to be a size 10 or 12.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 10:24
Registered Member

Stats: 190/150/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 133%

Well, they say you should weigh 100 pounds for being 5 feet, and then 5 pounds for every inch you are over that. So at 5'10" my ideal weight is 150 pounds. I thought maybe 160 is more realistic, so that is what I chose.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 11:04

Stats: 294/255/155 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi,

I chose mine cuz about 8 years ago I weighed 150 and thot my legs were still fat, so thot I'd go down another 5 lbs. We'll have to see how I feel when I get to 155 or so.

Echo
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 11:21

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I used to weigh 150 lbs. at 5'10'' until I was 19 years old and my doctor would tell me that I needed to lose 5 lbs. Go figure. She would probably croak if she could see me today.

Anyway, I figure since I am older now that I would try for 160. When I get there I will reevaluate. Maybe I will go for 150 again. It was a good weight for me before.

I know that even at 160 lbs., I will be much healthier and better off than weighing what I do now.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 11:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 487/449/199
BF:100%...LOL
Progress: 13%

I picked mine because I would just love to see myself on a scale and it be under 200lbs!!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 19:03
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Through-out most of my early to mid 20s (until I got pregnant with my first child) I weighed about 180 and I liked the way I looked and felt. I figure I probably have a little more flab and a little less muscle now (since I'm 45 years old), so I chose a slightly lower goal weight. However, frankly I would be very happy with anything under 200 as long as I could easily maintain it without yo-yoing up and down. I'd like to get to the point where I no longer need plus sizes and I'd like to get to a weight I can maintain. Maintaining a reasonable weight is more important to me than getting to any particular number on the scale. If that weight turns out to be 190, I can live with that.