Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-01, 18:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/248/130
BF:
Progress: 31%
Question Eating too few carbs?

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have a question that I haven't seen asked yet. Is it possible to eat too few carbs? (I never thought I would be someone who asked that question, lol)

I'm starting induction tomorrow, and I've prepared lots of low-carb goodies for myself, and I know I need to stay at 20g of carbs or below each day. But the foods I've prepared are extremely low-carb, and I find myself wondering if I'll even hit 20g a day!

What would happen if I routinely only ate 10g of carbs a day? Or less? Could that harm me in any way? Any input and advice would be so appreciated! (I do have the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet and Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution books, but haven't finished reading them all the way through yet, so maybe the question is answered in there, I don't know.)

Also, I have some Centrum vitamins with iron that I plan to take, along with calcium supplements, but I thought I read somewhere that vitamins with iron are no good on a LC eating plan.

Thanks!

Wendy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-01, 23:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome the the from wenderwomn!

I don't think it's possible to eat too few carbs in induction. Induction is like an intervention. THe quick lowering of carbs completely shakes up your body and mind.

It's very easy to reach 20 grams a day, just ask anyone whose been on induction! A few salads and vegetables, eggs, dairy products, (no Dr. Atkins. Cheese is not a free food!) coffee (if you drink it) and seafood will bring you up to 20 grams in short order. After induction, you increase your carb intake to a level where you are still losing weight. Low carb teaches you how to eat properly. There may be some people who are fine with an all protein diet, but most people will get quickly bored by the lack of variety. Therefore, too few carbs for the long run is not a good idea.

Some people think iron is bad, some think it's OK. I do not take iron in a supplement, especially after reading The Protein Power Life Plan. Get a combo of calcium/magnesium/potassium. Some find they need to supplement potassium on this way of eating.

More advice? Take your measurements before you begin and drink lots, I mean lots of water. Avoid low carb bars and anything artificially sweetend. There is a Journal section where people keep their food diary and thoughts. You may want to do the same because it's very useful to be able to look back a your low carb history.

Good luck with your first day and keep posting!

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Mon, Jul-09-01 at 00:32.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-01, 23:45

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%

It is only as you do the plan you discover how easy it is to eat extra carbs without realising it. My first month I got fed up with where and how carbs crept in where I didn't think there were any carbs. Even salad dressings have carbs in them if you buy them!

You might feel a little yukky after the 2nd day as your body starts screaming for its usual carb-load. Ignore it. Like a screaming toddler it soon quiets down when it doesn't get any attention! I found my diary was an inspiration to me.

Good Luck. Take care. Keep us posted.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-01, 06:06

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I have a co worker who is on the diet, and his wife joined him on it. Her sisters decided to do the diet as well but said if low carbs can make you lose weight NO CARBS is even better!

ahem. They started about 2 weeks after I did and so far have lost a whopping 8 pounds to my 30 pounds and to my co workers 25 pounds loss and his wife's 10 pound loss. (she was taking hormone shots that slowed her down)

It's not a zero carb diet. There are some days I may consume around 15 or less carbs a day, others I go as high as 30 carbs, but it evens out. I believe your body NEEDS some carbs regardless of how few to help in the energy conversion, but I could be wrong. It just seems strange that when you totally cut the carbs out on a day to day basis you completely stall out.

Anyone else experience this or have friends that don't follow the book by thinking "they can improve upon 20 plus years of research"?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-01, 08:42

BF:
Smile thanks!

Thanks so much for the info you guys, it's a big help! (and just as a sidenote, I didn't mean that I was going to try to eat far below 20g a day...I just meant if I happened to fall below, would it hurt?) So thanks very much for that info! It seems obvious that NO carbs is not the way to go, huh? (not that I could do that anyway, LOL)

Thanks also for the info on the vitamins Doreen, I'll have to look more into that!

I've been "devouring" the messages in this forum like I used to devour carbs, so I'm learning alot! Today is my first day, and so far I'm feeling wonderful, no big cravings yet. I think if anything, the worst cravings I'll have are for sugar. But I'll just guzzle more water until they go away!

Thanks again!
Wendy
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-01, 08:49

BF:
Red face Ooops!

I mean KAREN, thank you for the info on the vitamins! Sheesh....I told you I've been reading alot of messages here, I must have had Doreen on the brain....LOL. Sorry Karen!

Wendy
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-01, 09:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Just reading through all the responses here, and I'm going Yup, yessir, that's right, mmm-hmmm ... don't have too much to add except my best wishes for success to you.

One thing, you mentioned that you "think" the carbs may be too low, so I'm curious whether or not you have a reliable and accurate carb counter. Dr. Atkins book has a general list in the appendix, but truthfully, it is NOT accurate -- has cream, eggs and cheese as zero foods, which they are not. There was a day not too long ago, where I didn't eat any obvious carbs ... but had some sausage, cream in my coffee, cheese, seasonings on the meat ... etc ... and it added up to 18 gm for the day!!!

Corrine Netzer's "Complete Book of Food Counts" is an excellent and handy guide -- and you don't need to be on the computer to use it. Online, you can always refer to the USDA nutrient database ... check it out here

You may find some surprises. Coffee, if you drink it, even decaf ... has carbs, more than you many think!!

All the best ..

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-01, 16:18

BF:
Smile Hmm....

Thanks Doreen! I bought Corrine Netzer's Carbohydrate Counter, not the complete one you mentioned. And it seems awfully vague! For example, for lunch I had a scoop of tuna w/mayo, on a bed of iceberg lettuce. (about 1 cup) When I looked up lettuce in the carb counter, all she listed was Dole iceberg lettuce, and she didn't mention by the cup, but by the leaf. Unfortunately, I didn't count how many leaves I used, I just ripped a small chunk off the head and ripped it up, LOL.

Then later I had two ounces of cheddar cheese, and in her book it only listed brand names like cracker barrel (mine was just generic, grocery store cheddar). Plus her carb counts for cheddar were much higher than what the label said! On the label it said less than one gram per oz., but her book said, (in some cases) as high as 3-3.5 g per oz! So which is it? I'm really frustrated, and trying to wing it as best I can.

For dinner I'm having turkey meat and two cups of mixed veggies sauteed in olive oil (green & yellow summer squash, eggplant and a bit of onion). I have no idea how many carbs are in that!

I'm following the Atkins Induction list, and if a food isn't on there, I'm not eating it. I gave up coffee, since I don't like it without sugar, ditto for tea. *sigh* All I've had to drink today is 110 oz. of water so far. And I have no clue *exactly* how many carbs I've eaten today...lol. But I don't think it's much. I just wish there was an easier way to count them!

Is her other book better? Maybe I'll get that one instead!

Wendy
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-01, 17:20
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
......I bought Corrine Netzer's Carbohydrate Counter, not the complete one you mentioned. And it seems awfully vague!.......Is her other book better? Maybe I'll get that one instead!
Wendy, do that..... it's excellent and complete. I'm sorry I've never really looked at the carb counter book, but I can tell you that the Complete Book is just that, complete. It has over 10,000 food listings, including brand names and fast foods. The Complete book also has counts for calories, fat, protein, fiber, and other factors as well. The 5th edition, published in 2000 is $7.50 US / $9.99 Cdn. I t really is the most comprehensive listing available in paperback format. The USDA web-site I suggested is also very comprehensive, and you might find it useful because it allows you to specify quantity by weight as well as by volume, ie. ounces and cups.
Quote:
I'm following the Atkins Induction list, and if a food isn't on there, I'm not eating it.
BINGO!! Right on! You will have maximum success if you follow the program EXACTLY as outlined in the book. Decades of success can't do you wrong.
Quote:
I believe in me!
I believe in you too .. .. You're going to do great! I can't wait to read your posts of your success. In fact, why not start up a journal in our Journal/Bootcamp forum??? Some of us are finding it really helpful, and you'll get lots of encouragement and support.

All the best,

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-01, 08:59

BF:
Cool thanks!

Thanks for that info Doreen, I will look into getting that book instead.

And thanks for the suggestion of starting a journal, I think I will do just that!

Wendy