Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 04:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/general LC
Stats: 230/216/150 Female 5foot5inches
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 18%
Default Reassurance Please

When I began Atkins this time I tried to examine the reasons I'd failed in the past so that I could prevent that from happening again.

I learned that for me, a cheat will happen but I , in the past would use as an excuse to go on a binge so this time getiing up and right back is crucial.

Another problem, and this is where I need the reasurrance, is that I start to freak when the scale goes up even a tiny bit.

I've read the book, understand averaging, have read about it here, know I shouldn't weigh daily BUT...

After I lose, I get up the next morning and the next and can't wait to see that new low number

Well, Yesterday I was at the lowest I'v been in a few years and then today up 3 lb's.

Intellectually I understand the concepts and I don't think this will actually make me cave (mostly because I'm venting now and I feel so great physically), but a little piece of my brain is saying...

For this you didn't eat the brownies you made for your son's class party? You're crazy!!!

Just need some gentle reassurance

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 04:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Livinlarge...

Relax! Weight loss is only rarely ever in a straight downward line. When you have a whoosh (lose a couple of pounds literally overnight), some of that is water and occasionally the body decides that it wants a bit of that back and retains water so the scale will go up a few pounds before going back down again. It's almost impossible to gain 3 pounds of fat in one day unless you consume 10,500 more calories than you burned the day before.
Instead of getting so hung up on the numbers on the scale, how about using a couple of methods to determine if you are losing, like a tight piece of clothing and a tape measure as well as the scale. After all, I think the main goal of most of us here is to be smaller. If that can be accomplished while losing less than you think you should, isn't that a good thing?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 05:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/general LC
Stats: 230/216/150 Female 5foot5inches
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 18%
Default About the tape measure

Thanks Lisa,

It feels better to hear it (well read it) from someone else.

I think I will try to use other methods and I have a question about measuring.

Where do people usually measure? I assume the standard places

hips, waist, thigha, arms, bust ?

Also, do measurements fluctuate like the scale?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 05:34
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

At first scale fluctuations freaked me out. Now, I just accept them as normal, because I can see that my overall trend is downward.

I much prefer to use the measuring tape. I have shrunk much faster in inches than I have lost pounds. I usually measure my waist at smallest point, my waist at belly button, my hips at widest point, my left thigh, wrist and forearm. I just started to add my upper arm both unflexed and flexed to see if my biceps have gotten bigger.

I record my weight loss and waist measurements-but only once a week. Even if my weight goes up a pound or two temporarily, my measurements either stay the same or go down-UNLESS I am getting ready to start my TOM. I have had a temporary increase in waist measurements then due to bloating.