Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 07:49

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default The elixir of Youth

I am getting old and this seemed like a good piece of research for my youthful quest.

Quote:

Substances found in many food supplements could reverse the ageing process. A study found that the chemical additives reinvigorated old laboratory rats, which started to behave as if half their age.

Two common additives to dietary supplements gave the rats a new lease of life, improved their memory and added an energetic spark that was previously missing, said Bruce Ames, professor of molecular and cell biology at the University of California, Berkeley.

"With the two supplements together, these old rats got up and did the macarena. The brain looks better, they are full of energy, everything we looked at looks more like a young animal," he said.

"We did two different tests for cognitive activity in rats, and in both it made a big difference to feed them this mixture. Memory degenerates with age, and this makes them better," Professor Ames said.

The scientists found that a vital energy-producing enzyme within the cells of the body, called carnitine acetyltransferase, was less active in old rats compared with their younger counterparts. This could explain why the "powerhouses" of the cell - the mitochondria - do not work as well as they once did in older animals, including humans.

Adding the two dietary supplements, called acetyl-L-carnitine and alpha-lipoic acid , to the rats' food restored the enzyme's activity to a level close to that found in young animals, said Tory Hagen, an assistant professor at the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University, at Corvallis.

"The animals seem to have much more vigour and are much more active than animals not on this diet, signalling massive improvement to these animals' health and well-being, and we also see a reversal in loss of memory.

"That is a dual-track improvement that is significant and unique," Professor Hagen said.

The study, published yesterday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences and discussed at the American Association for the Advancement of Science at its annual meeting in Boston, could mean that the same supplements might perform a similar role in humans.

Professor Hagen said: "We significantly reversed the decline in overall activity typical of aged rats to what you see in a middle- aged to young adult rat seven to 10 months of age. This is equivalent to making a 75 to 80-year-old person act middle-aged. We've only shown short-term effects, but the results give us the rationale for looking at these things long term.

"With ageing, we see so many different things that are occurring to mitochondria that then lead to consequences in the cell. If you tune up mitochondria you may have a means of at least delaying the onset of a number of age- related problems that we encounter, or we can in some ways, hopefully, reverse what has already taken place," Professor Hagen said.

Naturally I have tested this and bought the supplements and now find that I am rummaging around gabage bins on all fours going eek eek all the time. What could this all mean?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 08:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 269.7/224.8/176 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

I think it it means that you have just thrown the birthday cake in the garbage bin and goes ...

I don't need sugary carbs, I don't need sugary carbs. I need more acetyl-L-carnitine and alpha-lipoic acid ...

Happy Birthday !!

Rey
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 15:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Old rats doing the Macarana...now THERE'S a funny visual image!
Happy birthday, Rustpot, but if you see someone building a large cage in your back yard....RUN!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 17:39

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default I am feeling half my age already

I thought Macarena was a type of Italian pasta!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 16:11

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

This is very interesting because I have been taking alpha-lipoic acid for several years but just began taking acetyl-L-carnitine about a week ago after reading the following web page:

How To Lose Weight by James South, MA

I also take L-carnitine.

Taken 3 time daily at each meal:

50 mg. alpha-lipoic acid
500 mg L-carnitine
500 mg Acetyl-L-carnitine

Last edited by Kent : Sat, Apr-20-02 at 16:37.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 15:16
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Where can I find it?

You make my day Rustpot. Happy Birthday and many more.
God bless,
Donna
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 16:44

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

so ....has anyone felt these 2 supplements have made a difference in their energy level and/or weight loss? If so, how long did it take before you noticed the difference?