Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 23:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/149/127 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default What is the max. amout of protein?

Anyone know what the maximum amount of protein we should eat in a day. I understand that if you eat too much your body processes the extra the same way it processes carbs.

Thanks...jill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 09:25

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi jill

I was wondering the same thing... should I limit my protien intake, for the sake of my innards??!!??

M
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 09:47
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I don't think your innards will care unless you have preexisting kidney problems.

The gerneral rule is you need to have a minimum amount of protien tha tis close to 0.6-0.9g for each pound of lean body mass. The range is depending on how active you are. Of course that doesn't need to be exact.

Atkins states that in great amounts protien can cause a slight rise in blood gluclose. This is true, but it has a very small impact on blood sugars. Fat though is completely neutral and has no effect at all on blood chemistry. Atkins also advises that when you have carbs to have fat and fiber with them. These slow the rate at which the carbs are absorbed and the impact they have on blood sugar.

With protien power they give you a minimum of protien you can have, but say it's ok to have more. They really don't limit protien as much, except for red meat and egg yolks in some people who are allergic to a certain acid. They do sugegst you find out your minimum and spread that evenly out through the day for ease.

South beach is a diet that leans more on protien from lean meats and has moderate carbs and fat. Most of the calories though do come from protien.

Do you use www.fitday.com ? Atkins is a high fat diet, not a high protien one. Many find they lsoe best and feel msot satisfies when thier percentage of calories coming from fat is 60-70& on induction. As you move through OWL that number will lower while the carb percentage rises. All throughout you are to be getting "adiquet" protien, so that percentage does not change (unless you raise or lower your total calorie amount). In Atkins for life he recognizes that some dieters are having too much protien and advises to reduce the protien percentage as well as the fat as carbs rise.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 09:54

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks, belle!

So I guess, 0.75 (middle range) x my weight.. oh wait! It's lean body mass... sheesh, what's that? No, I don't use fitday, I take far too long on the 'net as it is.

I guess there's still alot to learn...

M
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 15:17

Stats: 153/149/127 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 15%

I do use fiday. I average about 100 - 150 grms per day.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 16:41

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I get about 150-200g a day normally. That's at about 50-60% Fat. I've been as low as 100-150g on days when I eat Prime Rib or Ribeye...On days when I eat alot of Seafood (Salmon, Shrimp, etc...) I run between 200 and 300g of Protein:

March 12: 209g Protein; 38% Fat; 14g Net CHO; 1,576 kcal (Shrimp, Steak, Green Beans, Salmon, Roast Beef, LC Ice Cream, and Chicken)

March 13: 297g Protein; 52% Fat; 35g Net CHO; 2,987 kcal (Steak, Strawberries, Salmon, Green Beans, Spinach, Cheese, and Cream)

March 19: 236g Protein; 48% Fat; 38g Net CHO; 2,279 kcal (Green Beans, Steak, Roast Beef, Strawberries, Salmon, LC Milk, Spinach, Cream, LC Cereal, and Cheese)

April 3: 200g Protein; 48% Fat; 34g Net CHO; 1,963 kcal (Steak, Shrimp, Green Beans, LC Milk, Homemade SF Chocolate, Salmon, Eggs, Peas, 1/4 of a Red Potato, LC Cereal, Jello w. Stevia, Coconut Oil, and Bacon)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 16:50
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I try to make sure I eat my lean body mass in protein..92 pounds ...92 grams of protein a day.

If you're exercising a great deal you can eat your total body weight in protein. If I was I could eat 117g of protein.

red
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 16:50

Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

You guys made me curious, so I checked my fitday...for the last month, I have averaged 109g per day.