Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 18:28

Plan: Superfoods RX
Stats: 270.5/228/170 Female 68.5 inches
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 42%
Talking Slimfast going LC???????

New ad tonight. Slimfast now promoting its bars as healthy for an LC lifestyle. At least they used the word LIFESTYLE not diet. I don't personally like or use bars, but I am going to check out the counts ASAP to see if they really know what they are talking about. I also didn't know Slimfast was a division of Unilever, and I do remember reading the Unilever was planning on introducing all sorts of products that support LC ....PROBABLY because this WOE is decimating their Slimfast profits!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 18:59

Plan: Atkins ‘72
Stats: 260.5/179.0/180 Female  5'5 1/2
BF:My hubs
Progress: 101%

I found the shakes and meal bars at Target last week.... I look forward to hearing the carb count. I haven't tried any of the low carb shakes, but think it might be a good idea to keep a few around... just in case!

Oh yeah, anyone want a case of the suggery slim-fast!? Still have them in my food cupboard!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 21:18

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I don't know about the carb count on the bars and shakes, but I did sign up on the web site, since they offered a free plan.

Well their recomendations, even thos I said I didn't want to use the bars or shakes, included at least 2 a day (one of each mostly) and the total carb count recomended for me was over 140!

That's not LC to me. The plan, that is.

Their shakes are around 8g carbs with 6 of them fiber. Their snack and meal bars are loaded with sugar alcohols, around 13g each.

I think I'll stick with the EAS shakes....I know what they taste like! I've not yet found a bar that I like....and with all those sugar alcohols, I'd rather stay away from them.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 21:19

Here's a link to the Slim Fast web site: http://www.slim-fast.com/products/p...category_id=575
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 21:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Although LC bars are great for those times when you have no time to eat, I never understood the logic of drinking or eating your calories in a bar/shake form instead of having a meal.

I mean, would I rather have a nice meal that fills me up and tastes nice or eat an odd tasting bar that I can consume in about 3 bites?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Although LC bars are great for those times when you have no time to eat, I never understood the logic of drinking or eating your calories in a bar/shake form instead of having a meal.

I mean, would I rather have a nice meal that fills me up and tastes nice or eat an odd tasting bar that I can consume in about 3 bites?

Nancy I've tried several bars and they all taste lousy to me. A friend suggested it was the soy in them....but whatever it is, they all taste terrible, so I don't use them.

The shakes, however, I use every morning. I mix a shake with egg beaters and flax seed. It's a good way for me to get breakfast, since I'm usually running out the door late. And, it's the only way I've been able to choke down the flax.

I just posted a question on the slim-fast site, noting the carbs were too high for me and could they come up with a plan with carbs under 35/day. I'm curious what the response will be!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 22:02
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I thought it was funny just now...they ran a Whoopi Goldberg "Low Carb Lifestyle" ad back to back with the Slimfast Meal Options ad she does... pastas, starch-laden soups.... SO which way did she go?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 22:36

Slim fast does NOT endorse low-carb.

In answer to a question about LC:
Quote:
Carbohydrates are part of a healthy diet. Health experts recommend that 45-65% of our daily calories come from carbohydrate, and the Slim-Fast Plan follows this premise for healthy dieting. The Slim-Fast Plan is not a "low carbohydrate" plan. but a plan that helps you control your total calorie intake. And bottom line, you must consumer fewer calories than you burn if you want to lose weight. Carbohydrates, fat and protein all contribute to calories. Following the advice of the American Dietetic Association, I suggest eating a balanced diet and a variety of foods, including foods containing carbohydrates. I would not "cut out" foods containing carbohydrate by any means, but control your portion sizes for weight control. In addition, I do recommend limiting your intake and portion sizes of non-nutritive foods, such as candy and baked goods (which contain carbohydrates but are low in nutrients), because you are feeding your body "empty calories." For optimal nutrition, you want to consume foods high in nutrients such as fruits, vegetables, milk, and whole grains so that the calories you are consuming are nutrient dense. Often the high protein, low carbohydrate diets may be missing in essential nutrients from milk, fruits, starchy vegetables, and grain products (the food groups which contain carbohydrates!) Also, high protein diets are usually high fat diets and long term intake of high fat diets have been associated with heart disease and certain types of cancers.

To lose weight, you want to lower your calorie intake and/or increase your activity level. Using the Slim·Fast Plan will help you control your calorie intake to lose weight, while providing you the good nutrition you need in the day to live healthier.

As near as I can figure, their "lower carb" plan uses the LC shakes, etc....but still high carb meals. One of the suggstions for lunch is a tuna sandwich. Of course, it's with lowfat mayo and 2 slices whole wheat bread. Total carbs for the day are around 143-201g/day....this is "my"mealplan. This is for weight loss, not maintenance.
Average totals for the days:
Calories: 1290
Fat: 38g, Saturated: 9, cholesterol 90mg
Sodium 1620mg
Carbs: 165, Fiber: 32, sugars: 53!
Protein: 86.

oh yea....want to know my snack? A graham cracker with LF cream cheese and a 2 1/2" square of chocolate. In their defense, they do suggest a lot of berries....but they are definitly NOT low carb
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 07:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I found some Peanut Spread in the grocery made by Unilever (Slimfast) under their "Skippy" brand. It touted itself as low carb.

It WAS Low carb, alright - and full of soy protein and trans-fat.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 11:28
Registered Member

Plan: general low-carb lifestyle
Stats: 170/156/140 Female 5'-9"
BF:Like butter!
Progress: 47%

I saw Whoopie's commercial last night, and she ended it with (as she pulled up her shirt revealing a loose waisteband around her tummy): "...So while everyone else is joining the low-carb craze, you'll be losing weight. Hey if I can do it anyone can!"

Ugh! Poor, poor Whoopie. She hopped on the wrong bandwagon, and I'll bet she's about wetting her pants right now. I know I would be!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:21

Question Peanut Butter

Being a newbie (relatively) soy protein and trans-fat in the SKippy peanut butter...is that good or bad? As to peanut butter, I haven't reintroduced nuts into my WOE yet, but I figure the Organics brand...JUST PEANUTS..no additional oil, no salt, no fillers etc. makes the most sense to me! And my thinking is really changing...instead PB on triscuits (one of my former fave indulgences) I am thinking that Organics PB on celery sticks would be NUMMY!

Margot

Last edited by mollymom : Wed, Jan-21-04 at 12:23.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Trans-fat: most agree is bad or at least, questionable enough to be avoided if possible.

Soy: there are concerns, particularly for men, as it has estrogenic compounds (that mimic female hormones.)
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:52

Plan: high fat low carb
Stats: 215/152/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 97%

[QUOTE=mollymom]Being a newbie (relatively) soy protein and trans-fat in the SKippy peanut butter...is that good or bad?

If you really are a mom, you might like to check out:

www.westonaprice.org/soy/index/html and

www.soyonlineservice.co.nz
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 15:07

EvelynS The Weston A Price link goes to a main list, document not found. Do you have the name of the doc?

And the Soyonlineservice one? I've only read a few lines, but

Gonna finish these when I get home!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 16:58

Talking Thyroid Info Interesting

Thanks for the info Evelyn. I have never been a soy fan...so have never ingested a lot of it. Tried soy milk ONCE>>>YUCK! Anyhow, it was interesting to me, as I contacted my doc last week precisely because I wanted a thyroid function test. My body tem is consistently 1-1.9 degrees below normal, I am always cold, I was gaining weight on a 1200 calorie a day diet etc. I had an AHA moment reading one of your links...I think I am on the right track on this one, especially as I was treated for thyroid problems in university. One just doesn't know what to believe anymore. That is why I think a line like PC Organics..such as PB with ONLY Peanuts in it, makes sense.

GOod luck and thanks,

Margot

PS Molly is my dog, I am only a mom to furbabies...FIVE OF EM! lol