Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 08:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 420?/325/2 Female 69"
BF:75/70.8/28
Progress:
Question Grapefruit Diet Question

Has anyone heard of the grapefruit diet?
Does anyone know where to get info about it?
Has anyone tried it?
I was given a page with the 12 day diet plan and followed it and really liked it.In fact ,thats what turned me onto LCing.
I would like to know more about it.
Any info will be greatly appriciated
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 08:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

wow. No.
I'm so darn happy on Atkins, I'd never look somewhere else. I love my FOOD, my DESSERTS, my YUMMY YUMMY concoctions.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 09:08

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I've heard of it but don't know much about it. I checked out grapefruit in the carb counter. It's about 7g to 8g of carbs per 100g. Rather high for most low carb diets.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 17:54

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

You said you had the 12 page diet and it is a diet isnt it-
low low low cal & low food amounts. Did you try to follow it?
It is only meant for a two week quick 10 lbs type of diet and not something you can follow to really get weight under control.

They say if you go straight from a regime like that to a low-carb plan you are likely to regain the 1st loss you had(water) and not get the benefit of induction loss. while your body heals itself.

Please consider the low-carb plan you want to try and give it a fair length trial. Your appetite will be under control, you will be eating a healthy range of whole foods and you will be losing Over Time not Over Night.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 23:15

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

It's just another fad diet, that you can't live with as a way of life and yes it has been around for EEons, like 40 + yrs.

Have you tryed Atkins yet??? you might want to check out the success stories. ( sorry if I missed it) OoPs I did you've been on it a month?

Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Fri, May-02-03 at 23:17.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 05:31

Progress:

The diet is 12 days 0n, 2 days off, then repeat.
You eat 2 eggs and 2 strips bacon with 1/2 grapefruit for breakfast
Lunch is a green salad with any type or amount of protien and 1/2 a grapefruit
Supper is any cooked green or red vegetable and any meat, !/2 a grapefruit
You can have any full fat salad dressing,mayo,butter,cheese.No fruit,pasta,bread,rice,cereal,corn carrots,spuds..(.no sugar or starch)
An 8oz glass of Tomato juice is your evening snack

You are to eat any amount of veg and protien and encouraged to cook things with butter

Thats all I know about it.
2much

#7   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 08:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Well....what you've got listed there would add up to about 60 grams of carb per day or less depending on which veggies you selected for your salad and evening meal which is still considered "low" carb.
What I'm curious about is how you're supposed to eat on the 12 days you are "off" the diet? It seems to me that if you just go back to eating the way you always did during those 12 days any weight loss you might have experienced while you were doing the grapefruit diet would be lost. I'm also wondering why you would need to go off for 12 days in between weight loss phases aside from the fact that you could probably get very tired of eating that much grapefruit (I know I would!).
A good eating plan for weight loss is one that you can A) stay with continuously until you reach your goal and B) one that teaches you how to maintain your loss once you do reach your goal. If you can eat anything you please when you are in that 12 days off period this isn't really teaching you anything about maintaining and would qualify as a true "diet" in the sense that most people think about diets; something that you do for a little while to lose weight and then stop when you lose as much as you want and then return to the way you were eating before which is what go you in the position of needing to lose weight in the first place.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 12:52

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Lightbulb

I think she said twelve days ON and two days OFF.

Grapefruit is yummy--I eat it quite a bit myself. But this certainly is not a lifelong plan. Wouldn't you get awfully sick of grapefruits?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 14:25

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I think she said twelve days ON and two days OFF.

You're right. Serves me right for reading posts without my glasses on.
I still think I'd find myself getting really sick of grapefruit really fast. I like it and all, but not 3 times a day 12 days in a row.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 17:16
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

Ah, the Grapefruit Diet. Also known as .... The Mayo Clinic Diet. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Mayo Clinic, but somehow the name stuck. The Mayo Clinic has posted an Official Disclaimer that they are not associated with the grapefruit diet in any way.

FWIW, I noticed that the Florida Citrus Dept. has recently begun a study to see if grapefruit actually do possess some fat-burning effect.
Quote:
TALLAHASSEE -- The Florida Citrus Department is paying $150,000 to find out whether one of the oldest fad diets in America, the Grapefruit Diet, actually works.

The contract for the study went to researchers in California -- Florida's rival in citrus sales.

The researchers will give overweight people grapefruits, grapefruit pills and grapefruit juice to see if it makes them lose weight, even if they continue to chow down on bacon and eggs and cheeseburgers. ...

read rest of article here

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 23:35
aznlily68

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

ive heard of it because grapefruit is so healthy and good. But diets that only concentrate on only one food is destined to fail. You eventually get tired of it and end up cheating like crazy. (believe me!!) I wouldnt try it but if you want, go for it.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 07:20

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

One word, diet. It is just that, a quick fix diet, not a lifetime WOE. I like plans that focus on changing your patterns of eating for your lifetime.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 10:52

Progress:

Thank you all for all your input!!!!!
I do enjoy the diet and didnt find it boring and didnt get hungry...I think it worked for me because there were no extras to choose from.Just the same thing every day .Now I can have pasta and pork rinds and chocolate and bread and muffins and , well , just too many yummy, tempting , tastey things!
I am weak.I need strick structure.At least for now.