Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 04:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/170/140 Female 165
BF:
Progress:
Default in ketosis but fasting blood sugar near 100

i wondered if anyone had ant suggestions regarding this as usually my fasting glucose is 65-70. i notice when i eat the BS level takes a long time to get back to normal. i am not diabetic but measure BS as i would be prone to hypoglycemia. could it be that ketosis stops insulin production therfore levels take longer to drop?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 06:37
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein's Diabetic Solu
Stats: 230/190/150 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I am a diabetic, although a very new one. I am instructed to eat a low carb with protien snack before bed to sustain my blood sugar through the night. I am told that the protien helps to keep the levels stable longer.

Since you are on a higher protien diet it is most likely that the protien is sustaining your blood sugar longer and therefore you fasting sugars are higher than normal because the protien is preventng the drop you are used to.

All of the information given to me by my doctor suggests that normal blood sugar ranges between 70 and 110

If you are concerned about your blood sugars you can always have your doctor do a fasting blood glucose test which will measure your average for a three month period. I believe this test is called an AC1 or something similiar

I hope this has helped and that I haven't misinformed you

You can always stop by the diabetic portion of the board and post this question where more seasoned diabetics can help you
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 08:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/170/140 Female 165
BF:
Progress:

many thanks for your informative response. This coud be the reason as after protein food it goes up but does not dcrease that much by morning. This is not usual for me as I'm prone to low BS - but as you say I have been eating a lot more protein so this could be keeping it at the higher level.

Dorrian