Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 15:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/279/190 Male 6 foot 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default supplement question

OK I was not too sure where to post this but I have a supplement question. I picked up some Natrol Joint Health. It has Glucosamine, Chondritin, and MSM. My hope is it will help me with some knee issues.
The question is on the other ingredients, which are Cellulose, Steric Acid, Silica, Cellulose Gum, and Magnesium Stearate. I am assuming these are binders of some kind. I was wondering if these have any “hidden” carb pitfalls.
I figure once I have been hitting this WOL for a while I will know but as it is now I have no idea what so ever
Thank you much
Dave
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 16:33

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

A lot of people find that just the dietary changes associated with LC combined with the resulting weight loss to have a significant beneficial impact on their arthritis and other joint problems.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 20:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi deltamike,

Cellulose and cellulose gum are carbs .. but they're fiber carbs, and do not impact blood sugar or insulin levels. Generally the amount of filler in pills and tablets is relatively small. It gets to be a concern when you're taking large amounts of supplements on a daily basis though. Look for supplements that say specifically on the label that they do not contain any sugar or starch.

Many prescription meds come in a carbohydrate base .. often lactose. Again, the amount is very small ... and for many drugs, the lactose especially ensures complete absorption of the drug, so it's there for a reason.

Hope the knee is feeling better

Doreen