Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 10:34

Plan: Atkins-general low carb
Stats: //150
BF:to much *LOL*
Progress: 12%
Question Low carb/low fat

Am looking for info from anyone who has done the low carb/low fat diet.I know the protein needs to stay up.And i have thought abt stillmans but sooooooooo strick!!!!!!!! I already low carb but i am not moving the scale.So i wanted to find out if this would give me the boost i need.Thanks for any info you can give
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 12:17

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Exercise?

No, I haven't tried a LF WOE. Seems to be anti-Atkins to me.

My weight was way stable for a while, and I had to look at total volume intake and cut back, and then I started walking the dogs EVERY morning, and gee shucks, the scale's moving.

Funny 'bout that.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 12:29

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I sometimes do Stillmans to break a stall. It works but you shouldn't keep it up for more than about 4 or 5 days or your body goes into starvation mode. There is much more informnation on this board if you do a search under 'Stillmans'.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 22:07

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

Jennifer, that lowcarb, lowfat idea worries me. Dr A definitely says you shouldn't/can't, and my Dr Bernstein's Diabetes solution implies the same thing. I think the Atkins/Kidney damage thing is bogus, but if you cut carbs, AND cut fat, you could be getting too much protein. There is a thing called "rabbit starvation" when the Inuit can't get fat meat, and have to live on practically fatless rabbit. It's horrible - they die. So be careful, please. Maybe do a fat fast. Read the website, cholesterol myths, if you're scared of fat. Or anything by Mary Enig, or Sally Fallon. I truly think fat is our friend. Bill
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 01:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jennifer, I understand your frustration and would like to make a suggestion. Follow the LC WOE cleanly for at least a month. No artificial sweeteners - or limit to twice a week - no processed meats and induction level cream and cheese. Indulge in plenty of fresh LC vegetables. I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

Some people can follow this WOE and eat all of the above and some just can't. You won't know if this approach works until you've actually tried it, so why not give it a shot?

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 03:49

thanks for all your advice.I will just try to be extra good *LOL*I am glad you all think fat is a good thing because i LOVE fat *LOL
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 05:49

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Just for the record, I looked into 'rabbit starvation' before I started Stillmans. Provided you eat eggs, meat and fish you won't die of rabbit starvation. I was amazed because at that time I was feeding all my data into fitday and I was still getting 50 - 55 percent of my calories from fat even though I wasn't eating any fat per se. Normal meat and eggs contain quite a lot of fat (unlike rabbit!) As a stall breaker I'd rate Stillmans above the fat fast - you don't get protein deficient on Stillmans.

The best advice in your case is probably that from Karen however: strict induction and see what happens.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 09:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
The best advice in your case is probably that from Karen however: strict induction and see what happens.

I don't think induction levels of vegetables are necessary Robert, just induction levels of everything else! I think it's quite alright to go up to 30 grams a day as long as the majority of carbs come from vegetables.

And Jennifer, congratulations on getting your water up. It's an accomplishment!

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 09:54

thanks i still fight with it off and on