Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 06:13

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 167/154/126 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Southwold - Low Carb Bread

I visited Southwold (on the Suffolk Coast) the other weekend, and was very surprised and pleased to see that a local bakery/deli was advertising fresh low-carb bread on sale. Of course, by the time I had got there it was 2pm so there was nothing left.... must be very popular.

An hours and a half's drive might be a little too far to go for a loaf of bread though!!! pity.....

Would love to try it.

I have an Atkins Bake Mix at home that I bought from Boots for £8... but haven't dared give it a go yet, especially as I am such a HOPELESS case in the kitchen - and do not own a breadmaker...

Any tips anyone???

Thanks.
Helen.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 06:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/210/147 Female 5' 8'
BF:35%
Progress: 25%

I've not used the Atkins bake mix - but if you use it to make bread in the usual way, it's really straightforward. I used to make my own bread all the time, and it's really easy, and tastes lovely. Just follow the receipe (sp) as given. The only tip I can give you is time yourself whilst you're kneading, as it always takes longer than you think. It's very therapeutic though - I always used to have radio 4 in the background when I making bread.
The lovely smell you get when it's baking is the BEST reward!
Hope this helps,

Gemma
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 14:29

Stats: 176/150/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kahena

Do you have any other info on this. I live in Ipswich and would be prepared to take a trip out to try this?

Cheers

Tony
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 17:04

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

You might like to find out just how many carbs per slice it is first. Weight watchers brown bead is only 7 per slice which is about the same as many 'low carb' breads and it's a lot cheaper.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 10:11

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 167/154/126 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Well I have finally given the Atkins Bake Mix a go - and YES its simple, and tastes good.

No kneading either!!!

Was very surprised.

Just mix it up - bung it in a bread tin and bake it for an hour!!! Lo and behold... you have BREAD.

It says 10 slices at 2.4g each slice. But I get 15 slices out of it easy - and they aren't thin!!!

Great news.

Will still try and find the freshly baked stuff at Southwold next time I go though, but can't even remember the name of the store!! doh...

Helen.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 06:34
Registered Member

Stats: 224/208/182 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Tesco and Sainsburys both stock Nimble low carb bread.

Its only 7g a slice. And its quite yummy

Comes in a yellow wrapper.