Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 285/259/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Ketosis - any fat or body fat?

Does being in Ketosis mean that your body is definitely burning body fat, or does it just mean that your body is burning fat, period (which could either be fat from the food you've eaten or could be body fat)?

As an example... If i was to eat loads and loads of food, but it was all zero-carb (like meat), i would put on weight because i'd be eating far too many calories. Would a Ketostick still turn purple because all the calories were from fat or would i come out of ketosis because some of the fat i ate was being stored in my body?

Over the last 2 days the ketostick has been a lighter shade of purple, even though i've been well under 20 carbs per day and have been eating about 8x my weight in calories (about half what i burn, after exercise, according to fitday).

I've just finished the first 2 weeks of induction, nearing the end of week 3, and the only foods i've added back in are Humous, Peanuts and peanut butter.

I should stress, though, that all 3 of these foods are treats and i don't have them every day. Even when i do i stay under 20 carbs.

I don't know whether i'm still losing weight/inches because i only weigh/measure myself every 2 weeks and i did it last week. I don't like to do it more often than that otherwise, one day, i'll get disappointed when i don't lose any for a few days.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:14

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

burning fat period .. you can't go for a calorie free for all !
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:18
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Ketosis means your body is burning fat for energy. If you eat enough calories of fatty food, your body can just burn that and doesn't need to go into its reserves of stored fat. That's why Dr. Atkins says, "We don't count calories, but calories do matter." However, it doesn't sound like your are eating too many calories, so this shouldn't be a problem for you.

I can't tell how much you lost on induction, because it doesn't look like you have updated your statistics. However, if you lost a lot of weight -- and 8 to 10 pounds is a lot of weight -- you may well go through a few weeks of not losing anything while your body gets used to its new weight. If this happens, just stick it out and you will start losing again, although slower than you lost on induction.

I have found that I can eat nuts in small quantities and continue to lose -- the problem is when the quantities creep up (which happened to me recently). However, everyone is different, so you will have to experiment and see what works for you.

Good luck! This way of eating really does work -- you just have to find the right balance for yourself.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 285/259/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thanks,

TBH i think i'm still losing (and i lost about 12 pounds on the first 2 weeks BTW) because i tend to burn at least 1000 calories more than i eat every day (I log everything in fitday religiously and swim about 6 kilometres per week)...

Which brings me to my next question... If calories have no impact on Ketosis, and i've been staying under 20 carbs per day... why isn't it as dark as it has been?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:41

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
If calories have no impact on Ketosis, and i've been staying under 20 carbs per day... why isn't it as dark as it has been?

The ketone test strips only test for excess ketones in the urine and for only one type of ketone at that. If your body is using most or all of the ketones produced for energy, there will be no excess to spill into the urine or the strips can be a lighter color. A better test than the strips is whether or not you are losing pounds and/or inches. If you are, then you are burning body fat.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:51

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I am glad that you said that

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa N
A better test than the strips is whether or not you are losing pounds and/or inches. If you are, then you are burning body fat.

I've never tried to figure out if I am in ketosis or not. I am just happy that I am losing weight and inches. I probably am not in ketosis because I have not noticed any halitosis, or odd smelling sweat.

Black57
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 09:23
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I'm like you Black. I rarely test the strip. I did not get them until after my first two weeks of induction.

When I do I test as soon as I wake up before I have eaten anything. I look at it, I really can't tell much...medium pink. When I started my medication for a cough I tested to see if I was in ketosis. It was pretty faint.

Other than that I don't use it to gauge my ketosis because I just assume since I am following the program I must be in ketosis, plus I am losing inches and pounds.

Also many wise people on here had stressed the fact that the sticks can vary so it would not be such a great idea to use them to gauge progress.

Peace
red