Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 07:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/193/180 Male 6 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Low potassium?

Does the LC WOE have a propensity for low potassium mistakes?
I woke up the other night with the most awful and terrible , making me scream lower leg muscle cramps. My wife thouhg thtis may be due to low potassium. My qusetion was, if I am not monitoring my blood/vitaminintake closely, and sticking to a lc daily diet (15-20 net carbs), is low potassium levels an occurence that any one on this forum has experienced or seen experienced?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 07:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Johnnymo!

Yes, the induction phase of Atkins can lead to a lower potassium level in some people which is one of the main reasons that Dr. Atkins recommended supplements especially during that phase of the diet. Leg cramps can also be caused by low magnesium and/or calcium levels. The increased urination can cause you to lose more of those minerals than normal.
If you are taking any type of blood pressure medication, check with your doctor or pharmacist before adding supplements as some of them don't mix well with added minerals such as those above, but otherwise you can safely supplement with 99 mg and up to 400 mg. of potassium daily or switch to a potassium chloride salt substitute such as Nu-Salt to get some extra potassium. An extra calcium/magnesium supplement probably wouldn't do any harm, either.

Last edited by Lisa N : Mon, Jan-19-04 at 07:45.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 08:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Yes indeed - cramps are a common problem particularly during induction. I take an extra 500 mg. of calcium everyday, 550 mg. of potassium 3X per week, and 250 mg. of potassium 3X per week. Add avocados for potassium and make sure your menu includes cheese and cottage cheese for calcium. Good Luck - Orchid