Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 11:58

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 245/240/190 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Question for all Catholics on Atkins during Lent

Okay. First of all, I am not looking forward to Ash Wednesday for the fasting part of it.
Now, in the past, I have given up a certain food for Lent. Well, not this year! But, I am going to try the guidelines that are recommended during Lent. This is what our bulletin says:
"...it is recommended that during Lent all Catholics eat meat only once at the main meal, apart from Fridays when they abstain completely."

My question is how many ways can you dress up shrimp, eggs and cheese so you don't get completely sick of it? Meat is anything from land.
I will miss my bacon. Perhaps I will have a big bacon dinner one night! hehehe. Oh, Easter Sunday will have to be a big breakfast casserole with lots of bacon and sausage!!!

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 12:10
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I'm not Catholic, but from reading some things, you can give up something else for lent...some people give up sweets and chocolate, I've read.

I was kindof thinking about giving up dairy...not sure if I can though.

What about other kinds of fish, tofu, protein shakes? Can you have things other than shrimp, eggs and cheese?

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 12:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Glycemic Load
Stats: 232.8/227.6/145 Female 5'5"
BF:49%
Progress: 6%

This must be something that your diocese is doing. Roman Catholics are only required to fast and abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and the Fridays of Lent. However, if you are going to follow your parish's guidelines, you might consider protein shakes, mock danish, or try some of the fabulous recipes in the recipe site.
Wishing you a fruitful Lent

Laudate Dominum

♥ Mary
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 12:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

You can have fish!! That'll help. You can aslo try a quiche for dinner. YUM!! How bout a veggie stir fry?

You'll make it. If you think your starting to get bored, just remember it is lent. Remember why your doing it and it won't seem so hard.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 12:40
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default lucky me

Episcopalians celebrate Lent, too! I was seriously considering giving up meat altogether. But I'm afraid I might die. Your one meat meal a day might be a good compromise.

By the way, as a former Catholic I know that Lent isn't only about giving up certain things - you can also accentuate the positive as they say. You could make a goal of attending Mass one extra time a week or volunteering or something like that - giving of yourself.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 12:53
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I was thinking about that this weekend. What else can we eat?

I am sick of eggs.

We can have shrimp, salmon, tuna, ........what else?

red
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 12:56

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

Like the others said don't forget fish. They also have a large variety of meat alternatives for vegetarians- mostly made of soy. They have fake bacon, sausage, burgers, etc... Morning Star Farms offers alot of good products and the Boca Burgers are good too- they're located in the frozen food section of your grocery store. Just remember to check the carb count. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-lynne
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 12:56

Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%

Yes, I've become used to my bacon the mornings also. I guess we will have to use our imagination for Lent.

Cut up shrimp sauteed in butter, stuff into mushrooms.

Grilled, Fish, Baked fish, fish with shrimp on top of it, Fish with salsa on top of it.

Tuna fish salad on to of lettuce with a tomato on the side.

Good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 13:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fish! Many great fish dishes abound. Baked with tomato sauce and mozzarella, with cream and mushrooms, with lemon, butter and dill. A lot of ways you prepare chicken can be used for fish, especially the dishes that have simple seasonings and are baked. You could use Donald's Awsome Chicken and Broccoli recipe and substitute halibut or cod. Digwig's Collaboration lasagna with a cheese filling...

I think that there are a couple of ways you can look at Lent. Some folks look upon it as being a time of sacrifice - giving up that which you love the most.

Here's my take on it. When I give up the food(s) that I am most attached to, it first leaves a "void". It gives me time to reflect on why I am so attached to something that is only there to provide physical sustenance. Now, if I allow spiritual sustenance to enter and take the place of that food, it will feed me in a way that no food ever can do. It gives me great strength. Not strength of will, but strength of character.

Lent. A good thing!

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 13:06

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Default Re: Question for all Catholics on Atkins during Lent

Quote:
Originally posted by mommatbird
This is what our bulletin says:
"...it is recommended that during Lent all Catholics eat meat only once at the main meal, apart from Fridays when they abstain completely."

I'm glad to see this in the bulletin. Many people don't realize that this is the RECOMMENDED approach to lent. They only realize what is REQUIRED (fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday and abstaining from meat on each Friday.)

Many people also don't realize that the Church STILL recommends we abstain from meat on ALL Fridays throughout the year...not just during Lent.

Anyway, I think it is a GREAT approach to Lent, and it certainly can be done via Low Carbing.

Yes, eggs are great for breakfast, so find all sorts of ways to do eggs
(mock danish; or adding cream cheese to scrambled eggs).
A protein shake might be a good change every now and then.

Lunches with tuna or shrimp. (Make sure to add the fats)
Cottage cheese (higher carb, but good protein bang for the buck).
Lots more veggies and salads.

Learn how to bake/broil fishes for dinners (so you can choose chicken or beef for lunch sometimes). I have always been afraid of cooking fish 'cause I never really knew how. But over the course of LCing, I've had to do it to get variety in the diet.

Now might be a good time to invest in one of the LC cookbooks out there. Make sure it has a decent-sized fish section!

Being limited/restricted IS the idea. That we are in control of what we do to/with our body, instead of our body/appetite controling what we choose.
So when you feel limited, just remember WHY you're doing it!

I'm going to join you in the recommended Lenten approach.
Harder for me! I am eating 6 meals a day!

-- Loretta

Last edited by lpioch : Mon, Mar-03-03 at 13:08.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 13:32

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 245/240/190 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Oh, what I meant was that I am not going to give up any certain food (like I have with ice cream and chocolate in the past). I am giving up tv after dinner. I am such a couch potato. I just vegitate and that is very bad. More opportunity to walk, do house chores, read, spend time with hubby, finish braiding my rug, etc.

I really hate to cook fish but I can learn to do it for Lent. Grumble, grumble. It never comes out quite right. I love shrimp but am afraid if I eat it everyday I will soon detest it. Eggs will be tough for me. I cannot tolerate the texture some days.

Good idea about subbing fish for chicken.
Folks, I am in a land-locked state. Also, one that thinks good fish is a catfish fry! Blech! Fish is just not as fun here. But, again, I think I can do it for 40 days. Who knows, maybe I will eat fish more often afterwards.

Meat is considered anything that comes from the land like lamb, beef, pork and poultry. Things from the sea are okay as are milk eggs and cheeses.

Happy Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) to you all tomorrow.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 14:04

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not Catholic so not sure why I followed this thread. I noticed that you are from OK a "land locked state". I'm from KS so I truly understand what you mean. I have found excellent salmon at Sam's Club -- I imagine there is at least one Sam's Club in Tulsa.
Good luck.

Cindy
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 14:59

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Default Good point...

Never thought about it before...
Living in Boston...we gots fish!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 15:05
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Post Hi at my church...

At my church we were told to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday which means one meal of no protein (which includes shellfish) and two other (no meat) snacks that when added up doesn't equal the main meal.
I'm planning on an Atkins bar for breakfast, a can of tuna and mayo for lunch with a fish dinner for those two days.
My Fridays are fish only too. But for most of you, you can eat cheese and eggs too. I can't but you know? I like fish
I'm giving up desserts for lent... it can only help me in a long run.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 18:58

Stats: 161/146/135
BF:00/35%/24%
Progress: 58%
Post Great Thread

Just a comment that Lent isn't just about "giving up" a certain food. You can give up some spare time for "shut ins", give up some spare change towards a meal for someone who is hungry.

RE: Topic - I'm Roman Catholic so it's fish fridays and on Lent.

Peace to all.

Sorry for going off main topic.