Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 06:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 296/245/220 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default drastic measures

Confession time. I started low carbing in Dec of last year. During the month of Dec, I lost 4 lbs (296 to 292) and was stalled out. I followed Atkins to the letter but probably eat too much fat. Since Jan 9th, I've had nothing but EAS shakes (7-8 per day) which have 2 grms of carb each. Today, I'm at 260lbs. When I get to 250lbs, I will switch back to low fat proteins with veggies.

I know what I did/am doing is drastic but drastic times call for drastic measures.

SSLS6
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 08:58
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Forgive my bluntness, but this isn't Atkins. Atkins is about healthy eating and learning new eating behaviour. Neither is eating low fat protein and veggies considered Atkins. Neither is food from a box healthy. Would you rather give up your health to lose weight?

When you weren't losing weight, were you journalling all the food you ate? You guess you were eating too much fat? How much fat were you eating? Were you posting your menus for the day? Actually, Karen just put out a great post on this very issue:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=86640

Please consider that what you are doing is not really solving any problems, but probably creating a host of them. Again, sorry for the bluntness, but these ARE drastic measures.....

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Fri, Feb-14-03 at 09:04.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 09:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I sure understand your desire to lose weight. Consuming nothing but the EAS shakes probably won't kill you, but the weight loss will only be temporary. As soon as you start consuming regular food again, you will gain. I really am not trying to get on your case - because we have all tried stuff like that. The problem is that your body adjusts to such a regimine and fights to avoid losing weight. Your metabolism drops, and eventually that very mechanism will cause you to gain weight. That is where the term "yo-yo" dieting orginated.

Low-fat protein? You really need fat to fill you up. If I were you, I would read Atkin's latest book and get back to eating. Trust me, there is an easier way than what you are doing. The hardest lesson in weight loss - is learning that there is NO miracle cure. I have tried them all and just ended up fatter than ever! Take Care - Cindi
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 10:03
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I think Orchidday said is so well that I am just seconding that!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 10:13
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, well put Orchidday!

Ssls6, I spoke bluntly not b/c I like to be, but b/c I've been there. I wish I'd had something like this forum to set me on the straight and narrow. Sometimes it isn't that easy doing it by yourself. You are very courageous for posting this problem online.

But now that you've had some initial weight loss, it's time to start learning behaviours you can hold onto for a lifetime. There are lots of people to help you here.