Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 15:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/194/160
BF:
Progress: 48%
Unhappy I have found myself not eating.....

I'm hungry, but I have no apetite. Nothing sounds good. Should I force myself to eat anyway? I haven't been eating breakfast, and if I do it's just a handfull of almonds and some coffee. Is this just a phase? Whatcha think......

Nellie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 16:32
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

You need to eat at least 3 meals a day, especially if you are not hungry. Your body needs calories from fat and protein to maintain it's functions, too little and the body will think it's starving and hold on to all the fat to stay alive longer. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Make sure you eat a good portion of protein in the morning. Some people like to make protein shakes for breakfast. You could check out for some recipes.

Elihnig
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 17:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you're having a hard time eating 3 regular size meals, try 5 or 6 smaller ones. Try not to skip meals...it's not good for your body or your metabolism. Better to eat a small meal than none at all. Decreased appetite is a benefit of low carbing...you're not so hungry all the time that you can't control your cravings, but don't let it keep you from eating regularly. Dr. Atkins recommends never going more than 5 waking hours without eating something, even if it's a small protein snack.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 05:33

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Definitely EAT!!!!

The smaller meals are an excellent idea! I've struggled with this for the entire time LCing....... but I eat 4-5 times a day and thats easier. To make this work.... you have to get in the food.

Lots of luck! Ellie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 08:30

Plan: Low Carb/14-1/2 inches lost!
Stats: 186/161/155
BF:
Progress: 81%

Nellie, believe me I know from experience:

TOO LITTLE EATING MEANS NO POUNDS LOST!!

Boil some eggs, cut some raw veggies, or package some 1/4 servings of nuts. Anything to keep those calories up. I know it's hard when nothing sounds good, I too have looked over and over for something that catches my eye...and eventually I just eat whatever! LOL
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 13:50

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Hungry but no appetite

If you are hungry, but have no appetite, you need to force yourself to eat. You are falling into a cycle that can lead to depression or may already be a symptom of depression. And as all the others have said, not eating will make your body go into starvation mode and hold onto all of its reserves.

Evaluate how you are feeling otherwise, also. Eating a good breakfast will actually make you feel better during the day. I find if I skip breakfast, I just can't get it going throughout the day.

I have a concoction called Joe's Special every day for breakfast:

2 tbl butter
chopped onions
sliced mushrooms
1/3 10oz pkg frozen chopped spinach
1/4 pound hamburger
2 eggs

I add each item to the skillet and saute for a minute or two before adding the next item. It doesn't take long to fix and is very filling and starts my day off right.

Hope this helps.

;-Deb

#7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 14:20
Registered Member

Stats: 225/194/160
BF:
Progress: 48%
Talking Thanks for the help!

Thanks for all your suggestions! I have been doing better. I have started eating non-breakfastie type stuff for breakfast. I make a killer turkey, broccoli and cheese soup. That is nice on a cold morning. I just can't look another egg in the face! I am so sick of eggs!
Someone had mentioned watching out for depression, not a problem! I've been on Zoloft for years (wonderful stuff).

Nellie
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 14:56

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Great!

I'm glad it's not depression. And eating non-breakfast foods is a great idea. Before I started low-carbing, I couldn't handle eggs for breakfast. Whenever I went to breakfast with my parents, I always ordered off the lunch menu. The people at the restaurant (we always went to the same one) got very used to it. (BTW: My parents have moved away and that's why we stopped going to breakfast all the time )

;-Deb

#9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 17:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Nellie, I've gone through the same thing (I'm sure many of us have). All the advice you've gotten so far is right on, I think.

I remember once not eating enough and getting very light headed. I really couldn't imagine anything I wanted to eat. I had no energy, felt really awful -- this was after several days of probably eating 1000 calories. Not trying to cut down on calories, but that's all I wanted.

I've gone the small meals route too. For some stupid reason, I can eat three slices of bacon for "breakfast" when I'm not at all hungry and then, in an hour or two, be quite hungry for the eggs -- or something else.

Good luck! Glad you asked
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 17:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

What's "breakfast food?" Even before LCing, my morning food has generally been a hunk of cheese, luncheon meat, or last night's cold leftovers. (I didn't buy cereal because a box would barely last a day. )
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 17:32

Stats: 269/246/180
BF:
Progress: 26%
Smile me too...

I find myself in your shoes all the time. I just don't wanna eat. Alot of the times, I'm not even hungry. I force myself to put something in my mouth, even if it's a handfull of nuts or a boiled egg. I keep 1.5 dozen boiled eggs on hand all the time...for just such an occassion.

Today, it was rainy and damp, so I made a grocery list and headed out to the store to bye fixins to cook with. I hit the Atkins websight and printed out a few recipes. I spent the better part of today cooking and not eating. However, my fridge is now full of healthy, low carb grab foods I can have at anytime....even when I don't feel like eating but know that I have to.

Keep at it Nellie. And the fact that your eating some dinner type foods for breakfast is great. I'm reserving that for when I get farther into the WOL and run out of breakfast ideas...lol.

Laura