Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Swartzbein combo
Stats: 360/330/210 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:Unknown
Progress: 20%
Default Returning to Low Carb Eating

I haven't been here in a long time, and also didn't post very much before, so I'm a returning member/newcomer you might say

I did LC more than a year ago, had lost about 30 pounds but fell off the wagon and gained weight. Kept going ON and OFF LC, and that does NOT work

About five weeks ago I was in the mental hospital going through med changes. They took me off my old antidepressent, which can cause weight gain, put me on one that may help in losing, at least won't cause GAIN.

I'm diabetic also (on oral meds for this), and while in the hospital ate at the cafateria. At first I took it as an opportunity to eat ALL these forbidden foods, like a 'vacation'.

Then they got orders that I was a diabetic, and to restrict certain foods. A special 'snack' was made for each diabetic to eat at night. What did they have for other people for a 'snack'??? Mostly cookies, crackers, ALL sugary foods, granola bars, juice, and milk..

I thought MY snack would be cheese, maybe some cottage cheese, nuts....I was shocked at the HIGH carb stuff they gave me:half a sandwich, an apple, banana, or ORANGE! plus three sugar free oreo type cookies.

I could stil GET sugary stuff if I wanted too, but they wouldn't give me more than a certain amount of protein. Could have as much salad dressing as I wanted, for instance, but only saw margerine, no butter. I THOUGHT everyone KNEW margerine was bad stuff, but I guess not.

Anyway, I went back on LC best I could the last few days, so it's been more than 4 weeks back on the wagon. I was SO hungry for protein, I ate a TON of it when first back home.

So far the weight is dropping off and my appitie is shrinking....

So I decided to come back for more support, I do MUCH better when I have a place to go to like this one.

Thanks for listening,
Emy

Last edited by EmyAmber : Wed, Jan-29-03 at 17:19.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 19:11
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Welcome back. I am glad you returned. I hope you stay with us and continue posting.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 23:17

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile Welcome back...

So happpy that you've returned to Lcing and the forum. I don't want to add any pressure as you start out, but it will be very interesting to read about your progress and to see how it effects your diabetes. There have been many folks around here that have benefited greatly. I hope you'll be one of them too.

donald
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 17:53

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%

Welcome back Evy!

So glad to see you come back and give it another shot. Returning is so difficult - and you have already crossed that hurdle! Yeah, they say hospitals are an unhealthy place to be and it sure sounds like that hospital food was bad. I have certainly dealt with clinical depression in my life and those meds are so difficult. I hope you are doing well and adjusting to those changes. That is one thing I love about Atkins - I am less prone to the melancholy. Cindi
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 17:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Swartzbein combo
Stats: 360/330/210 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:Unknown

Thanks all for the warm welcome

I feel much more determined to stick with it this time around, and I too hope for improvement in diabetes and high blood pressure especially. If it lifts the depression, what an added benefit! That would be great!

Yes, hospital food is not good for diabetics particularly, or anyone doing LC. Anytime my Dad goes in they have to start giving him insulin-when most of the time he's doesn't take any meds at all.

From Emy

Last edited by EmyAmber : Thu, Jan-30-03 at 17:59.