Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Exclamation Tuesday 8/18 - 11 AM ET: Online Chat w/ Stuart Trager, M.D., of Atkins Nutritionals

08/18/2003 - Updated 01:00 PM ET

The Atkins Diet: Stuart Trager, M.D.

Tuesday, August 19, 11 a.m. ET

link to article

Was Dr. Atkins right after all? While the medical community remains cautious about Robert Atkins' fabled but controversial diet (swear off pasta, but eat all the steak you want), it seems like the entire USA is going low-carb crazy, reacting to a flurry of studies that grudgingly admit the late doctor may have been "on to something." From mushrooming low-carb-only stores to restaurants boasting carb-counts on their menus, the signs of a near-evangelical commitment to this lifestyle (don't call it a diet, say the faithful) run from coast to coast. If the healthy-eating mantra of the past few decades was "low fat," could the slogan of the coming years be "low carb"? Chat with Stuart Trager, M.D., about the Atkins Diet.

Stuart Trager, M.D., is an exercise and controlled-carbohydrate lifestyle consultant to Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

CHAT TRANSCRIPT

Charlotte, NC: How long does it typically take to show weight loss on the Atkins diet?

Stuart Trager, M.D.: Individuals typically notice weight loss in the first two weeks, though it is important to remember that the Atkins nutritional approach is a lifelong strategy, intended to produce long-lasting changes in body composition with significant improvement in lean body mass (loss of body fat).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Los Angeles, CA: Is the Atkins diet (or any of the other brand name diets) made for people who need to just lose a few pounds (like 5 lbs)? Or they made for those who is overweight or obese?

Stuart Trager, M.D.: Atkins is a nutritional strategy or approach that people can use to modify their weight at any level. It is an easily customizable program, and by making intelligent or smart food choices, eliminating simple sugars and carbohydrates, choosing instead nutrient-dense whole foods, it is possible to gain control over weight at any level.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lanham, Maryland: How is it possible to eat as much meat as you want, without that being bad for you. A meat and cheese diet? How can that be good too?

Stuart Trager, M.D.: To clear up an important misconception about the Atkins nutritional approach: This involves controlling carbohydrated. The key is that by limiting carbohydrates, the body uses fat for fuel. In this state, meat, fish, and other sources of protein and fat are not seen to raise cholesterol as typically occurs in the absence of controlling carbohydrates. Specifically, research from major universities including Duke, the University of Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and Cincinatti, have shown that despite increased consumption of protein and fat, triglycerides dramatically decrease by as much as 50%, the good cholesterol HDL increases, and the bad cholesterol LDL typically does not increase.

Bloomington, il: Dr Trager...I have been off and on this diet over the past 2 years. While I've had great success with it I've dropped out of it due to the outrageous prices of some of the low carb items. Do you feel like these companies are taking advantage of us or do these products really cost that much to produce. Also, do you think that the price of these items will level off and decrease sometime soon?

Stuart Trager, M.D.: Perhaps one of the reasons we've gotten into the epidemic of obesity is that the food industry long ago realized that simple sugars and starches are inexpensive and readily available. Unfortunately, choosing complex carbohydrates and protein as well as some of the newer sweetening products that do not include simple carbohydrates are expensive. Hopefully as more products come out and more companies respond to the need to elminate simple sugars, we will see even more variety and accessibility of low carbohydrate products.

Washington DC: I've tried the Atkins diet, and while I've lost weight, I've found that keeping it off is almost impossible. I'm especially prone to eating lots of sweets, and I couldn't find any sweet treats on the diet, at least none that satisfied my cravings. Do you have any suggestions?

Stuart Trager, M.D.: The key to maintaining ideal body weight with the Atkins nutritional approach, like any eating strategy, is to maintain or continue on the program. Through extensive work and product development, there are now many new (sweet) products available to help with those cravings, including, most recently introduced by Atkins, ice cream and numerous chocolate and other sweet treats.

Miami Fl: My wife has high blood sugar. She was on the Atkins diet and lost weight but started having problems with her blood sugar. Can she do this diet?

Stuart Trager, M.D.: There is emerging research to suggest the Atkins nutritional approach will provide an excellent tool for combatting type II diabetes by stabilizing blood sugar, as well as producing the significant weight loss in individuals with this condition. It is important to remember that anyone with diabetes or other medical conditions should approach this nutritional approach as any other under medical supervision, and in consulation with their treating physician.

Brighton, TN: I cant seem to grasp how to count actual carbs. For example: Adkins bars on the label it says it has 22grams of carbs, but net carbs is 2grams. I have always went by the carb count on the label. If it had 22grams on carbs, I wouldn't eat it because I'm trying not to go over 30 carbs a day.

Stuart Trager, M.D.: Not all carbohydrates impact blood sugar the same. Some carbohydrates, like fiber, are not digested, and pass through the GI tract without raising blood sugar, as there are other carbohydrates in the form of sugar alcohols that impart sweetness, but do not raise blood sugar. While doing Atkins, it is the impact on blood sugar that we pay attention to, so that net carbohydrates are those that impact blood sugar. For example, 1/2 cup of broccoli has 3.9 total grams of carbohydrates, but 2.3 of these are fiber, and do not raise blood sugar. Therefore, the net carbohydrates would be 1.7 for that half cup of broccoli. Another example of this would be macadamia nuts, with 2.3 total grams, but 1.4 grams of fiber for a net of .9 grams per 2 tablespoons.

La Crosse, Wisconsin: Hello, I am following the controlled carbohydrate life style and I've never had more energy and I feel great. I am also training for a marathon. Since I know you do high-volume training, my question is related to what kind of things you eat during long training sessions. Do you use energy gels like GU? I haven't tried an Atkins bar because they'd melt in these temperatures! Also, I've started experiencing muscle cramps in my feet, calves and even my hamstrings. It seems that raising my carb intake has diminished that, but I've gained some weight back. Any advice? Is there any other way to contact you with questions? Thank you.

Stuart Trager, M.D.: I do personally train 15-20 hours per week and am currently preparing for the Iron Man World Championship in Hawaii this October. When exercising for more than an hour, it is important to take in carbohydrates as well as ample hydration to maximize performance. The goal while exercising is to deliver carbohydrates quickly to your muscles for energy. This is a very different condition than takes place while not exercising, and hormonally the body responds to these excess calories in a way that supports muscular efforts rather than storing extra calories as fat. Taking in carbohydrates that are rapidly absorbed is useful, and GU is one solution. I also use a complex carbohydrate product that is rapidly absorbed while exercising. It is important while doing Atkins to NOT take in carbohydrates immediately prior to exercise, as this can raise blood sugar, which stimulates insulin and can then lower blood sugar, having a very unwanted effect on performance. Carbohydrates should be consumed 2 -4 hours before exercise, and a lower glycemic snack, like an Atkins bar, would work well if food is to be eaten closer to time of exercise.

With regard to cramping, everyone exercising, and especially training for a marathon, needs to monitor electrolytes and pay attention to electrolyte replacement as well as fluid replacement while training. This is true while following Atkins as well.

enfield, ct: how can you explain why asians who eat such a low fat and high carbohydrate diet (rice) can stay as slim as they are? is there something other than the food at play here? Thank you

Stuart Trager, M.D.: Our epidemic of obesity, which results in over 300,000 lost lives annually, is related to multiple factors, including our decreased level of exercise, increased level of caloric intake, and the types of macronutrients consumed within our diet. When calories and energy expenditure are equal and genetics are favorable, weight management is less problematic. Here, the supersizing of our portions, the availability of highly processed foods, and our sedentary lifestyles, have all contributed to this public health crisis.

Greenville, SC: Are there any specific health risks with this type of eating pattern?

Stuart Trager, M.D.: The Atkins nutritional approach has been widely studied for several years now, with studies published in peer reviewed and highly regarded political journals, that show no health risks in individuals following these protocols. In addition to being safe, there are findings that suggest significant improvements in risk factors like heart disease, including lipid profiles. Individuals with preexisting renal disease should not embark on this nutritional approach without consulting with their physician.

Port St. John, Florida: would you recommend this diet for anyone who suffers from gout?

Stuart Trager, M.D.: Many individuals with gout have been successful following the Atkins nutritional approach. The dietary changes, however, may exacerbate gout, and if this occurs it may be necessary to slow weight loss, modify the consumption of foods which exacerbate the gout, or utilize pharmacological treatment for management of gout in the same way that this condition is treated in individuals not following Atkins.

warrenton, virginia: Can I eat high carb food every once in a while or do I need to swear off high carbs for good?

Stuart Trager, M.D.: Doing Atkins is about adopting a nutritional strategy for lifelong weight control. This does not mean that occasional detours cannot occur, and cravings cannot be met. Overall, this is about making food choices that promote good health and empowering individuals to modify one variable, carbohydrates, so they can actively take control of their weight and their health risks.