Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 09:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/178/125 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 18%
Unhappy I am done with atkins

Well, maybe this WOE just isn't for me. I have been on induction (never cheating I might add) and have only lost 10 lbs in 8 weeks. I am done. I think I am going to try somersizing. It is low carbs but will allow some fruits. I even tried the yeast diet.(no cheeses or sour cream etc)
It is not like I have only 10 lbs to lose. 5'4 180 goal is 125. I believe this may have worked before I had my daughter 3 years ago but I think the whole pregnancy thing threw my metabolism for a loopy. My hubby has lost about 50 pounds we started in June.
I loved reading all your posts but I think I need to do something different.
Good bye,
Darlene
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 09:22
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Darlene!

I only lost 2-3 pounds on Induction and if I had given up, where would I be now? You lost 10 pounds on Atkins, that's great. Why would you give up now. Whatever diet you choose next you will have points at which you don't lose where your body rests and sometimes you will stall, that is a fact on any diet.

This is not a fast weight loss diet and you should no compare yourself to others, especially men. Previous diet habits, gender, hormonal issues, activity level and age are some of the factor that affect how fast we lose. But if we stick to this WOL we can all reach our goal.

This WOE is the best way because at least we do not feel deprived. I also know that alot of people who switch plans end up coming back to Atkins.

Also, did you confirm with your doctor whether on not you had candida. And were you taking the recommended supplements?

I know how it is to feel frustrated about not losing as fast as you want, alot of us go through that, but patience and persistence will get you to your goal.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Peace
red

Last edited by red1cutie : Mon, Aug-11-03 at 09:23.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 09:23

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

10 pounds in 8 weeks is not that bad. I hope you find a plan you can live with. I miss fruit a lot, but there are lots of things on Atkins that I love, that I had not allowed myself for years. And the craving for carbs is gone, so its worth it to me.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 10:06

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Perhaps you needed to just get off of induction and RAISE your carb intake. By doing that you will be able to add some fruits such as strawberries and raspberries. Some have even added other fruits such as a half an apple instead of the whole apple. This woe is plyable, contrary to popular beliefs. IMHO, every low carb diet is based on one of the phases of the Atkins WOE. Like you, my weight loss has been a little slow but it is faster than any other method that I have tried and it has kept me healthy. I am sticking to this woe because Dr. Atkins was the first, of my knowledge, that championed the low carb way of eating. He stuck to this concept.

Black57
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:03

Stats: 199/196/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Could you post what you are eating daily? Maybe we can help you out. Don't give up!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:15

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I think 10lbs in 8 weeks is great!!! try not to compare yourself to others rate of weight loss, we are all different. Hang in there and review what you are eating to see if there is anything in particular that you can change. Hang in there.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:17

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%

Average weight loss is about a pound a week. You are above average and you are complaining???

Don't compare yourself with your DH's weightloss. I have come to the conclusion that men have a pact with the devil when it comes to losing weight!

Either that or, I must admit, they have more muscle than us and consequently lose weight faster. "sigh!"

You are doing great! Why don't you try, as suggested, and add some LC fruit back into your diet? I noticed my weightloss picked up significanty after upping my carbs a bit...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:18

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 230.5/212/160 Female 5'10
BF:34/30/23 (BMI)
Progress: 26%

I'm a big believer in letting people do what they think is best for themselves. I love Atkins, but I can honestly say that if I hadn't had the success I've had, I'd be looking around, too. If that means another LC plan, great! If it means waiting a week and trying Induction again, great! Whatever choice you make, just own it and embrace it. Life is too short for regret. Sending good vibes your way...

J.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I don't think pregnancy messes up metabolism that much. I have a 3 year old son and a 6 month old daughter, both born by c-section. I know your frustrated, but you are 10 pounds better off then where you would be without an LC eating plan. You might try looking at the other LC plans and see if any may suit your needs more.

You need to remember though that none of these are crash diets. They are ways of changing eating habits and additudes about food to reach a healthy weight and overall health.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:40

Stats: 299/249/165 Female 71"
BF:fat, what fat? LOL
Progress: 37%

I was considering quitting becasue my weighless had stopped for 7 weeks...but that was 10 lbs ago. Sometimes, especially a month to two months after starting your body needs to adjust to the weightloss...I'm not telling you to stick with it, becasue if your heart isn't in it , it won't work, but (there's the B word) you aren't teh first to feel this way and sometimes it takes some pain not to gain.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:53
Registered Member

Stats: 166/157.0/130 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I think Atkins is a wonderful way to lose weight, but if you aren't losing then I think it's fine to consider other options. I know that personally I will not stick with Atkins for the rest of my life - I like my carbs too much for that. I WILL, however, LIMIT my processed carbs for the rest of my life. I feel much better on this plan than I have in recent memory - but I need my pizza, pie, frosted mini-wheats for breakfast, and especially FRUIT. Once I lose the weight that I need to lose, I am going to try to maintain by eating less and exercising more. (Including weight lifting to keep up the metabolism.)

So long story short - do whatever works for you - Atkins or not. And good luck!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 12:03

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Average weight loss is about a pound a week.

Where does that number come from? If you are very obsese then maybe for some people, but if you are overweight or even normal weight wanting to loose some weight then I find loosing a pound week very hard to believe. In my best weight loss streak, I lost .5 a week for 7 weeks which I thought was great.

I think is dangerous to see up expectations like that for all the people that don't loose weight that fast.

If you can average a 1 pound a month loss, that is 12 pounds a year. Stay on this WOL and that is 120 pounds a decade. That sounds alot better than then gaining 30 pounds a decade like I did I found LCing.

I believe you should be happy that your weight is not going up, and is has a general downward trend. A definite improvement over how you gained the weight.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 12:23

Stats: 190/178/125 Female 5'4
BF:

Basically, Somersizing is the same as atkins except you can have some carbs. Maybe I wasn't eating enough carbs and that was the reason for the slowness. Although overweight, I do carry lots of muscle (was a semi-pro pitcher) so I have always been very atheletic. I am only saying this because those who have posted about the men losing lots because of muscle......that I do have. I do love low carbing...i would never sway from that. Lots are saying 10 pounds is good for 2 months but I lost all that in the first 2 weeks then it was stopped. I appreciate all your advice! You guys are wonderful.
Darlene
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 13:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

well, you've lost an average of over a pound a week! i'm reading this that you lost that during induction, and none since? please correct me if i'm wrong. if that's the facts, then i'm sure it is discouraging. but look at it in the bigger picture - over a pound a week!!! how long did it take you to put the weight on?

you may, in the end, decide that this is not the WOL for you. however, if you are just discouraged, i think it's a great idea for you to post what you eat & drink here, and if (and if so, what kind) you excersize.

for some reason, you are stalled after induction (again, if i read your post correctly), and the reason's got to be in there somewhere. could be something hidden that you didn't notice or thought was OK, could be that you do need to up your carbs, could be any old thing.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 13:15
Registered Member

Plan: Just eating good carbs
Stats: 184/174/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 26%

I think 10 lbs is great! Don't give up!

I do believe pregnancy can really mess up metabolism, but more a thyroid. With each of my pregnancies I gained weight big time. While other ladies could eat all sort of junk and sweets, I ate healthy and gained about 56 lbs with each during pregnancy. I nursed my babies until 13 months and my thyroid did not get back to normal until after I stopped nursing. So give your body time to adjust, especially if you are nursing. I have a total of 30 lbs left on me from all three pregnancies.

Good luck and hang in there!