Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 15:37

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default All Call -- Need Some Help, Please.

It has been a while since I needed to ask for help -- but I am in a stich of a place.

I can not seem to find my way back to this WOL. There are these same 8 lbs that go up and come down, go up and come down.

I am under a bit of stress - but that should be lifting within the next day or two. I have yet to learn how to cope with stress, fatigue and tension on this WOL. Suggestions?

In addition, I can not get going on this LC, I buy the stuff, and to be honest, the bag of salad greens sat in the fridge so long, they were tossed out today because they were no longer good.

I make the meals, but have no interest in eating. I do manage to drink some water, but my mind says "why bother, you are not on the plan -- drink some diet coke instead."

What is wrong.... why can't I even get going or started to do this WOL. I have been on and off a number of times, that I have yet to make it to OWL!!

Today, rather than mope about the house, I went outside to plant some flowers and in the distance, I heard the ice cream truck. I am like pavlov's dog, tinkle tinkle went the bells and my mouth waters for the ice cream.

Anything, suggestions, advice would be great.

P
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 16:07

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there.....

My take is that there is a reason that you don't want to lose weight and that's what's holding you back.

Perhaps it would be useful for you to sit down and make two lists. One - a list of what you have to gain/lose by staying as you are and a second of what you have to gain/lose by following LC and losing the weight. If you are totally honest with yourself and put everything on the list no matter how minor or silly it may see, I suspect that you will get some information to work with.

HTH
Marlaine
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 16:31

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default A journey of a thousand miles...

....begins with a single step. It seems the only thing keeping you from following low carb right now is you. The trick is figuring out why. I think Marlaine made a good suggestion. Sometimes subconsciously we want to stay where we feel "safe" whether it be in a particular situation or at a particular weight even if what feels "safe" to us is really not in our best interest. Once you decide what you really want to do, don't wait untilt tomorrow. Start right then! As someone once pointed out to me, tomorrow never comes, it's always today; we live in the present whether we like it or not.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 17:48

Plan: Eat Food
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Hi!

You mentioned stress, fatigue and tension from eating LC. For me, it is easier on me to know what to eat and removes a lot of stress and tension from making poor food choices. I find when I'm not following this WOE, there is so much to choose from that I find myself dwelling on the next morsel that I can stuff in my mouth. Rather than now, when it is all planned out and I know what I can expect to eat. Fewer choices, less dwelling, less stress. That's how it works out for me, anyhow. I can tell you there used to be days where I would spend every waking moment from the time I got into my shower until lunch, thinking about what's going to taste good, what fast food haven't I eaten in the last few days. Let's see, there was Big Mac yesterday, Taco Bell the day before, I know, I haven't had Pizza in a couple of days. And so it would go on, and on, and on. Then there was dinner........and the same thing would happen all over again.........

I don't have that pressure any more. The choices are made and I know what's available to eat. Granted, I'm in the Turtle Club, but I don't care. It's so much more time that I have to think about other, more important, things. It's simplicity and that's what makes it right for me. It seems to fit.

The important things to work on now, for me, is what drove me to that distraction? This WOE has freed me to look at the motivation behind the distraction and work out those issues. It's raw, and it doesn't always feel good, particularly since I don't have the distractions and sedation of my favorite comfort foods. But, it's the existence that I chose to have now for myself, because I deserve it! You deserve it, too! We all do!

I'm sorry if this comes off abrupt, but it's just plain honesty and I hope that by reaching out I've helped you in some way.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 18:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Once your stress is lifted, take some time for yourself

I have been where you are and I feel your pain. The truth is that it takes a few days for your body to adjust and get over the hunger.

I find it helpful to get away from the house. That way, I cannot just go to the fridge to browse. Even if you just take a day and go shopping, it may make you feel better. If the sight of clothes in a smaller size depresses you, then shop in other stores. I just love to look at housewares and furniture and dream. I can spend a whole day shopping and not even buy a thing.

Take time for a quite lunch at a food court in the mall. You can spend a long time just watching people. You will realize that some look better than you, but a large majority look worse. Look at the ones who look really good and analyse why they look good and get some ideas for making yourself happier by looking your best.

If you can keep your mind off eating for just 3 days, you will lose the appetite for carby foods. You will then be back on track.
I know 3 days is a long time when you have the urge to eat, but do it for you.

You have come a long way, and you can finish the job! Don't quit. Think of this as a project that needs to be finished.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 18:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/266/200 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm sorry if I've read your post wrongly, but it seems you have trouble motivating yourself.

This WOL works for you. Your stats prove it. Okay, you're in a bit of a slump. But you know it will work. It has done so before.

This should be your rock. You have proved to yourself that you can lose weight low-carbing. Not ten pounds a week, but it will be at varying amounts. That's the way it works.

I've been on this WOL since November 2001. As I write, considering what I've gained back, I've lost 2 pounds in approaching 6 months.

That a slow enough rate of loss for you?

But I'm sticking it out.

I have NO proof that this WOL works. I have books from LC experts. I have words from people on this site.

But no proof that it works. The proof I require being lost weight.

There are people far worse off than you on this site. I am one. Only a handful have had the problems I've had and still have. Most would have given up by now. God knows I've been close.

You have so much to be proud of. All that weight gone is such a great achievement.

It's just a blue spell I'm sure.

Think of what you've done, and how much more you are capable of doing.