Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 05:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/222.5/130
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default How long is the longest anyone has stayed on Induction?

As someone with a lot of weight to lose, I was wondering how long can you stick to Induction without getting bored or perhaps suffering health problems?

I only managed two weeks before introducing a few more carbs to my diet. I'd like to hear from all you experts!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 07:31

Stats: 175/152/135 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 57%

I am by far an expert but I am in my fifth week of induction. This diet has been great for me and is not hard. This is the first diet that I have been on that I have been able to stick to without occasionally cheating. I don't know how much longer I will stay in induction.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 07:37
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

In DANDR it says up to six months is fine...in another spot in the book it says 1 yer is fine...and in yet another spot I have read (different book) that YEARS are fine on induction.

I checked with my doctor...and he says that being in this ATKINS type of ketosis is OK, and that I could go years if I wanted.

I am on induction (doc supervised) since May 21st. Carbs are WELL below 20 per day....and I plan on doing this induction phase alot longer yet untill I see some decent downward scale movement, like 50 pounds worth.

Best wishes;
Jake
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 07:40

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I am going to stay on induction until I get down to where I only have about 40 to 50 pounds to lose. I am slowing down on my weight loss to about 2 a week. So, I doubt I could really go into OWL right now anyway.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 12:15

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 294/260/185 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I was on induction for 2 wks and lost great but really slowed down on owl so went back to induction, plan to stay on it as long as it takes. I think if you are diligent about your supplements it should be ok.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 12:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/215/160
BF:?
Progress: 31%

I'm getting close to starting my 7th week. I'm finding it easier to stick with as time goes by. The recipe section is a great help to fight any humdrum's that come along. Not sure how long I'll continue induction. The appetite suppression that goes with ketosis is a great help to continue it for as long as I possibly can! Honestly though...I'm actually scared about adding carbs anywhere in the near future.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 13:53

Stats: 240/222/190 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 36%
Talking Im in numba 3

Im in week 3 of induction and have lost around 13 lbs....ITS GREAT...i plaan to stay on it untill i lose 32 more lbs and hopefully thats VERY soon..like in 3 months...YAH!!

When i get off this diet....IM GUNNA BE SO FINE...HaHa...God Bless
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 14:26

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I am planning to stay on induction untill the sweet end. I cant see how going to 80 or more grams off carbs will change my quality of life. I get all I need from induction, both physically and mentally, so, when I hit 180lb, I will get off induction (if I will remember how )..
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 14:38

Stats: 235/208/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

it has been 2 months and 2 weeks for me on induction with a loss of 32 pounds! i feel great i have added the odd thing like some strawberries or macadamia nuts but being sure my count is under 20 every day. i plan on staying for my whole time because i feel good. i only cheated 3 times and that was with ice cream (no atkins ice cream here yet)
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 14:53
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
I am planning to stay on induction untill the sweet end. I cant see how going to 80 or more grams off carbs will change my quality of life. I get all I need from induction, both physically and mentally, so, when I hit 180lb, I will get off induction (if I will remember how )..

I wouldn't suggest that as you have a high chance of gaining it back that way. The purpose of OWL is to find out how many carbs your body can tolerate without regaining, as well as learning how to eat a wider variety of healthy foods so it is easier to maintain. Jumping strait form induction to maintanance will mean having no idea about carb tolerence level, and adding them back all at once instead of slowly over time may make your body unable to handle them.

If you want to wait until you are close to goal, that isn't bad. Atkins though has 4 stages and each one really does need to be gone through to make the weight loss and health changes last for life. It is also helpful because you learn how your body reacts to specific foods by adding them in slowly. Adding them in the sugegsted order also follows the glycemic index, meaning you aren't going to have sudden spikes in insulin levels all at once.