Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 10:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Fondue Recipes

Am having a few folks over for dinner and since fondues have seemed to come back with a vengence.... dusted off my fondue equipment was wondering if anyone had any favorite recipes or tips they could offer to help me put together a menu...B
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 14:23

Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Have you considered doing a tempura meal...and just not battering your meat and veggies?

I've done tempura in my electric wok. Prepare chunks of meat, shellfish and veggies into the cubes to cook, then pop them into heated oil. For the other guests, you can mix up a tempura batter for them to dip their things in first before frying. Add a salad, or some other cold LC finger food.

Of course, this won't work if the fondue doesn't bring the oil up hot enough to deep fry. I've never owned a fondue so I can't speak to that.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 04:51

Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default RE: fondues

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaR
Have you considered doing a tempura meal...and just not battering your meat and veggies?

I've done tempura in my electric wok. Prepare chunks of meat, shellfish and veggies into the cubes to cook, then pop them into heated oil. For the other guests, you can mix up a tempura batter for them to dip their things in first before frying. Add a salad, or some other cold LC finger food.

Of course, this won't work if the fondue doesn't bring the oil up hot enough to deep fry. I've never owned a fondue so I can't speak to that.

Angela...I have two fondue units and what I was considering doing was have one filled with oil and as you suggested use that one for cooking meats and veggies...the other I was going to melt cheese but in most cases bread is used for dipping so was trying to come up with other suggestions to cook in the cheese ...I suupose veggies like broccoli and cauliflower would work ...also have to come up with some LC dipping sauces...thanks again for your suggestions ...B
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 22:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 143/137/115 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 21%

lots of veggies are good in a cheese fondue...esp. if you use a mild cheese...yellow squash works nicely, as do carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, apples, anything really. for a main course, if you dont want to use the oil, cooking the meats in some white wine with garlic and other herbs works really nicely too.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

If you blanch the broccoli before hand, it somftens just slightly and the color is beautiful.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 11:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

that should have read "softens"