Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 06:44
Registered Member

Plan: None, now
Stats: 222.5/241/140 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: -22%
Default things that cause plateaus

Hi,

I'm in the inquiry about what I really need right now - is it better quality of life, or is it more rapid weight loss?

(see the great thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...=&postid=555275)

I know form reading some of the posts here that foods that can cause plateaus are:
cheese
nuts
sweeteners
dairy in general

Are there others?

I guess my feeling too is that if I cut these things out - there's like nothing left to eat! (I know, I tend to overdramatize things, but I don't particularly like meat, can't stomach beef or other red meat, and am starting to get a little tired or fish and chicken - guess I need to find some new recipes...)

How do other folks handle this?

Inna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 180/154/140
BF:
Progress: 65%
Question

I am by no means an expert on LC, but I wonder if you would have to cut out said plateau-causing food groups or whether you could try cutting back first to see if you can break your plateau.

Just a thought...ginger
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Inna, keep lots of veggies washed and sliced in the fridge...celery stix for dipping in sour cream dip (those packets of dry mix that turn it into spinach dip are usually LC), maybe keep some egg salad in there too, make it with lots of stuff in it, olives, celery, green onion, a little dill...comes yummy and is good for a snack...

Do you like lunch meat? I know many stay away from it, but I like my salami and cheese...I try to keep the cheese serving to one meal a day, and no longer melt it over my eggs in the morning. Maybe just a sliced turkey for snacks...I like the thin slices for dipping in some blue cheese or a really good brown mustard for snack. Those hot wings, or wing-dings, whatever they're called...there good for lunch and are very LC. WATCH you don't pick up the breaded ones...only the ones with the red spicy stuff over the skin.

To tell you the truth, the easiest thing for me at lunch time is whatever fast food place has the best 2-for-$2. special going on. My burger king had two double cheeseburgers for two bucks, and that (with my own salad) was lunch. I'm a full time student, so I have to be quick and cheap.

There's also tuna salad, three bean salad in a good vinegrette can be easily made LC...and I really like to take cucumber, tomato, black olive, green onion, (before LC, I put in chick peas!) and whatever else you can chop very very tiny...like a really chunky relish...put all into a bowl with fresh herbs and some olive oil and red vinegar...oregano, basil, S & P, garlic, etc. When its chilled it is a wonderful side dish with hardly any carbs per serving.

I eat limited foods, but unfortunately what you listed on your post is what I normally eat. Last night I just went ahead and ate pie and ice cream and blew it all out. This morning, bad migraine, up another 3 pounds, am so disgusted. Maybe your post was the one I was meant to see first! I'm going to have to remove ALL the things you listed...take my own advice on food ideas and get back on track...maybe I'll get some results that way.

Good luck
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 12:52
Registered Member

Plan: None, now
Stats: 222.5/241/140 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: -22%

Donna -

Thanks for writing! I know for me, when I get all bent out of shape about how MY program isn't working and I'm stuck, it's hard to get out of that to help someone else - but when I do, I know it helps me too!

So I'm wondering whether if you, like me, eat a lot of cheese and nuts and sweeteners and such, maybe restricting that somewhat would help you to jump start again? (I read your other post earlier, and I feel your frustration!)

What you wrote here are all really good ideas. What I've been doing for the past week or so is to really restrict on my veggies, then, in the evening (my worst binge time, generally) look at my log and say - gee, I'm so well under the 30g that my goal is, I can have all this cheesecake (I made LC cheesecake - sooo good!)...

But I'm thinking that that's not such a good way to do it. If I eat more LC veggies, that'll be a healthier way to go about it, and I probably won't be as hungry during the day, either.

One of my issues is that I don't eat red meat - it just kind of grosses me out and makes me feel a little ill; so I'm looking to do more with fish, chicken / turkey, and soy.

And, whereas the last time I tried this WOE (about 2 years ago) I threw up my hands after a few weeks saying - this is too hard, I can't live like this!, today I'm saying - gee, this is a challenge. Now, how can I make it work for me?

I'm also planning to plan my food ahead of time (this is for some reason really hard for me to get started on, but I already have my blank menu sheet printed up and everything... - that way there's no question of what I should do - it's all already spelled out!

Good luck to you - let me know what you decide to do. I find that talking to people on these boards is so so helpful, to get motivated to get back on track, and not feel so isolated and overwhelmed with my own failings and problems (and maybe even to help someone else out, too!

Inna
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 17:42

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default meat alternatives

Howdy-
Thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I found a soy-based Bratwurst from Boca that tasts great and is meatless. Low carbs! I find it makes a great snack or b-fast on the run. They are individually wrapped so you can pull one out and nuke it. I like meat and eat a lot of it, but sometime I just need another option. I have just picked up the meatless "Chicken breast" and will give that a shot as well.

About stalls, well I find if I have a hard week and drink too much alchohol that's a major cause of plateaus (duh!). Also, I have been in the habit of eating too many LC bars. The new ones tast great (Strive brand) and are so convenient. Well, I conveniece myself right into a stall.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 22:57

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Low carb bars are the only thing I know for sure that stalled me.

I've heard of processed meats like deli meats, pepperroni, deli turkey, hotdogs..ect...stalling people.. But I haven't figured out yet if I'm one of them.