Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 06:11

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%
Unhappy Big Bloated Belly

Yesterday and still this morning, my belly, of its own free will, blew up like a balloon. I have been 100% faithful to the plan: I do a combo Schwarzbein/Atkins KISS. All natural foods and no grains, sugar or man-made carbs. I don't eat nuts, mixes or bars, but I do eat limited quantities of berries and other fruits and I use Splenda. I drink coffee, red wine and vodka in moderation. I drink 2-3 liters of bottled water per day. I swim and lift weights 4-5 days per week without over-exercising. I eat 3 meals per day and I have been at it like this since January. No cheats at all...no bread, no sugar, no nothing. My TOM is not due till the end of the month. I have recently cut back on drinking alcohol, thinking this would help me further reduce, but nothing except the the opposite...the bloat is worse than ever.

I don't weigh myself. I measure and use pant-o-meter. Yesterday I squeezed into a normally well-fitting pair of pants by just a hair. I cannot figure this out except to say perhaps stress is provoking this bloat. Or maybe I need to cut back on portion size since I am so close to goal? I cannot and will not use fitday because it strongly brings back freaky memories and terrible, unbearable feelings of the days I used to literally starve myself and count everything. I am a lifelong yo-yo/starvation dieter so maybe bloating is just par for the course
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 09:28

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Could it be from constipation

If that's the case try a stool softner , or a supository, lot's of water. Exersizer should also help. I noticed since I started LC ing I haven't bloat , I bloat easily too.

Josie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 08:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192.5/187/147 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 12%

Twiggy,

The tummy bloating was happening to me too. I realized that I was eating too much cheese. Once I cut back on the cheese (and added a fiber supplement), everything went back to normal again.

tg
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 17:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Twiggy,

Are you eating enough?

Sometimes if the body feels deprived it will hang onto extra water to try to "plump up" the fat cells.

Try eating a few more calories for a while - adding extra fat in the form of butter, oil or mayo is the easiest way to do that.

All the best.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 18:35

Plan: My own low carb plan
Stats: 184/142/130 Female 5'6
BF:29%/20%/16%
Progress: 78%

hi,

I would definitely agree with Rosebud. When i wasn't eating enough my belly was HUGE and would not go down. Make sure you're eating enough and drinking enough water

Danyele