Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 13:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%
Default A Low Carb Wine is Coming Your Way.....

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indus...carb-wine_x.htm

Soon, you can raise a toast to low carbs
By Theresa Howard, USA TODAY
NEW YORK — Wine and spirits company Brown-Forman (BFB) has a new vintage: low-carb.
Next week, at the chic Mandarin Oriental hotel here, the company will unveil One.6 Chardonnay and One.9 Merlot, brands named for the grams of carbs per five-ounce serving. The $9.99 wines, with about half the carbs of regular wines, are aimed not at wine connoisseurs but at the estimated 59 million Americans counting carbs.

The wines will be on store shelves by Memorial Day. Louisville-based B-F started taking orders last week and already has sold 125,000 cases to retailers, including Costco and Wal-Mart. A wine launch would be seen as a hit if it sold just 400,000 cases its first year, according to wine and spirits tracker Impact.

A big factor in the decision to launch the brands was the huge success of low-carb beers, led by Anheuser-Busch's Michelob Ultra in 2002.

"Ultra changed the paradigm but not just in the beer industry. It fueled the whole low-carb phenomenon," says Benj Steinman, editor of Beer Marketer's Insights.

The wines are part of a continuing stampede of food and beverage makers to cash in on what's already an estimated $39 billion market in low-carb products.

Just this week, for example, Heinz One Carb ketchup hit stores. It has one gram per serving vs. four for the traditional variety.

"It's one of those no-brainers. When there are other (brands) doing exceptionally well, wine should be participating as strongly," says Andrew Varga, global brand director at Brown-Forman Wines. B-F, perhaps best known for Jack Daniel's whiskey, owns several wine brands including Fetzer and Bolla, and markets others including Korbel and Michel Picard.

The low-carb idea was hatched before last fall's harvest. Winemaker Cara Morrison crafted the wines by choosing the right varietals and "fermenting them as dry as you can" to cut the sugar, Varga says.

The wines — a 2002 Merlot and 2003 Chardonnay — still have a typical alcohol content of 14.5% by volume. They'll be backed by a $5 million ad campaign built on the idea that the only thing drinkers are missing is carbs. The message: "Life is full of compromises. This isn't one of them."

The marketing plan is "brilliant," says food and beverage expert Phil Lempert. The "Supermarket Guru" believes the low-carb craze is already waning but that this brand could outlive it.

"They are not focusing on low-carb but instead on the number," he says. "This is simple and smart. It's very smart to name your product with a number so people instantly get it."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 18:27

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

For the love of God, please leave wine alone. Us low carbers can moderate our consumption, we don't need to drink 4 times as much crappy wine.

brobin

PS. these companies are giving low carb a bad name.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 18:37

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%
Thumbs up

I see it now: NEW, zero carb vodka!

Here's a nice wine discussion:
http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa062403.htm

Last edited by adkpam : Tue, May-11-04 at 18:45. Reason: new thought
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 11:56

Plan:
Stats: -/-/- Female 64.5
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Low-carb wines, sure, but how do they taste?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5335108/

Low-carb wines, sure, but how do they taste?
Puzzled wine lovers give mixed reviews One.6 chardonnay and One.9 merlot are the first wines to be specifically blended and marketed as low-carb offerings. But almost all wines, except dessert wines, are generally low in carbs.
By Jon Bonné
MSNBC
Updated: 10:28 a.m. ET July 01, 2004

Even among the carb-conscious, wine has not been a major enemy.

After all, any dry wine contains perhaps 3 or 4 grams of carbs per five-ounce glass. That’s a small fraction of the 50 or 60 grams recommended during an ongoing Atkins-like routine, and certainly less than a regular beer or most mixed drinks.

So when the winemakers at Brown-Forman Wines recently unveiled its two reduced-carb labels, wine lovers and winemakers alike were puzzled. Would it still taste like wine? Had they resorted to some sort of nefarious chemistry? Perhaps they picked underripe or undersugared fruit?

“That’s not where we started the process,” says Jill Jepson, associate winemaker and brand director for the new One.6 chardonnay and One.9 merlot, each named for the exact degree of their low-carbitude.

Last summer, Jepson says, Brown-Forman analyzed various lots of grapes from their growers throughout California and chose the ones with the fewest carbs from 2002 merlot juice and 2003 chardonnay fruit.

Then they dry-fermented the wine to remove every bit of residual sugar. (Most wine has just a touch left over.) And they blended it to achieve what Jepson describes as a “really interesting, fruity style.”

None of this is shocking. Blending winemakers seek out specific properties in their batches all the time. And though Brown-Forman is the only winemaker with a low-carb line, other large winemakers have inaugurated modest reduced-carb strategies.

Diageo Chateau and Estate Wines, which controls the Beaulieu and Sterling Vineyards labels, crafted hanging “neckers” for some of their wines -– promo tags around the bottle neck that list carb counts and other nutritional details.

But the company opted not to change its labels and isn’t tinkering inside the bottle. “We haven’t had to reformulate,” says Diageo’s Jon Pageler.

Some high-end vintners find Brown-Forman’s effort downright distasteful, taking offense that a premium product like wine would be lumped with low-carb targets like spaghetti and snack bars. One shot me a withering glance when I even mentioned the concept.

Jepson sees any backlash as simply sour grapes in an often self-obsessed business: “The wine industry has traditionally made wine for ourselves and not for the consumer.”

How carbs count
Since consumers will ultimately buy on taste, we tried out the new wines. But first let’s consider wine’s place in the carbohydrate universe.

The USDA’s nutrition database lists 1.18 g of carbs in a 5-ounce serving of white wine, and 2.51 g in five ounces of red. Most in the industry find those numbers too low, and the methods for counting carbs have created a bit of controversy in the industry, not unlike the gap between Food and Drug Administration guidelines and the “net carbs” touted by some food companies. For example, do you count tannins and organic acids, which have no nutritional impact?

The federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau is preparing specific guidelines which may be available as soon as this week; indications are that it favors the FDA-type approach.

Actually, any drink with fewer than 7 grams can now be called “low carb,” according to Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade rules. Wines aren’t required to list carbs, but those that do must list all standard nutrition label data, including calories.

Brown-Forman did not disclose carbs for one of its standard bottlings, the 2002 Fetzer Eagle Peak merlot. Sutter Home, which also launched a campaign to market wine as low-carb, lists carb counts for all its varietals. Its merlot has 4.1g per glass. Diageo’s Beaulieu Vineyards BV Coastal Estates merlot has 3.5g of carbs per glass.

Spirits makers don’t want to be left out either. They have noted that basic distilled spirits – unflavored vodka, gin and tequila, for instance – have no carbs. Of course, drink mixers like soda have carbs, and all alcohol comes with other weight-control issues (the body processes alcohol before any nutrients, and then there’s those late-night cheeseburger binges) but a straight shot of vodka, or a scotch and soda, won’t technically impact your carb count.

Back to the wines: With a $5 million marketing campaign, Brown-Forman put serious cash behind One.6 and One.9, which are currently in a 300,000-case release and available at major retailers like Wal-Mart and Target for about $10.

Since these wines are meant to appeal to consumers shopping in that price range, we gathered a couple panels of nonprofessional wine drinkers to see how they stood up in blind tasting.

Room for improvement
Results were fair at best. The biggest message from our tasters? There’s room for improvement among inexpensive takes on these popular varietals – low-carb or not.

The One.6 chardonnay was paired against two similarly priced wines, a Morro Bay chardonnay from California’s Central Coast and a Waterbrook chardonnay from Washington.

One.6 generally ranked second or last among our newsroom tasters. They found “almost no nose,” and “no fruit.” Some said it tasted “bland” and “mild”; a couple found it “sweet” and “more like pop than wine.”

Most found the Morro Bay “tangy” and “sharp”; a few thought it was “weak.” The Waterbrook drew mixed reviews – some found it “grassy.” Others detected “cat pee.” Even the biggest chardonnay fan in the group said she was “not crazy about any of them.”

The merlot garnered slightly more enthusiasm when we tasted it at a recent dinner party. We compared One.9 against two other California bottlings around $10, including Brown-Forman’s own Fetzer. One.9 ranked a solid second; one person made it their top pick.

Panelists found it “light” to “medium bodied” and “acidic,” picking up “cherry/cranberry” or “blackberry.” “Kind of stagnant, but I could finish this,” one said. Its presumably carbier brother, the Fetzer, got slightly better marks: “Fruitiest of batch,” “dry and strong.”

Tasters found the third wine, a BV Coastal 2001, “listless” and “slightly bitter.” The entire panel felt all three were palatable, with basic fruit; none were standouts. No one planned to buy any.

The bottom line: No dry wine should cause you much carb concern. If you enjoy value-brand California chardonnay and merlot, and you’re concerned about an extra 1 to 2 grams of carbs per glass, you might enjoy the low-carb .

But if you’re that worried about carbs, you may want to skip the vino. Stick to water.

© 2004 MSNBC Interactive
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 10:07

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Hey all you wine drinkers and over-endulgers,

I love the low-carb wines that are out there. My friends, and I, from my neighborhood have regular wine parties out in from of our houses, nearly the whole court comes out to join in. I love the low-carb wines from Fetzer (One.6 chardonnay and One.9 merlot), they taste great!

I know some of you say that "Wine is already low-carb". To me it is a matter of serving size. Maybe we over-endulge, but for me and my fellow wine-drinkers, one nights allotment of wine is usually one bottle, at these wine parties. I don't know, off-hand, how many carbs are in one bottle of standard wine, but I'll guess at between 15 and 20. My low-carb wine has around half the carbs as standard wine, so that puts my one night allotment of wine carbs at between 7.5 and 10. That's significant to me.

Enjoy the wine!

J.