Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 17:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 157/152/140
BF:
Progress: 29%
Post Understanding % of carbs,fats etc

Hi,

I am trying out the Fitday site and entering my food intake etc. What should be my percentage for carbs, fat, protien?
Is that how I tell if I am eating correctly on Atkins? (besides having the book permanently attached to my right hip

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 17:46

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%

LAbby

I had the same questions. Stick to 65-70% fat, 25-30 protein, and 5 % fat. This applies to induction only. I found that when I ate more fat I felt more satisfied and lost more weight!! WOW

GO figure

Piera
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 18:41
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Opinion

I think the best thing we can all do is to study the gram carbohydrate tables in the Atkins book, and learn them thoroughly. There are some basic similarities between foods and you can eventually group them, in your mind, to where you know what you are up against when you have to eat out or somewhere other than home. I now have a good general idea of how to eat, what do eat, and how much to eat on Aktins. It helps.

The table in the Atkins seems to be quite thorough overall for natural foods. For fast foods or brand name prepared foods it might be good to get one of the large, reference books to learn those.

Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 00:32

BF:
Question Hmmm, 65-70% fat plus 5% fat??

Hi Mac Artist,
I am just a wee bit confused about your suggestion of 65-70% fat, 25-30% protein which all makes sense. Did you mean to say 5% carbs instead of Fat again?

Thanks
Labby
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 03:35
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%
Default Check this out

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...?threadid=89345

You can check my fitday too. Yes, eating enough fat is important.

Hope it helps, good luck!

Alina
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 08:49

HEy LAbby

OPPPPPS Yes I meant to say 5% Carb!!! SORRY. Did you find your percentages to be in those ball parks. I've finally have gottne mine tweaked to be right in those ranges and it does really make a difference interms of satiety, energy levels ect ect.

So how is the plan working for you? HOw long have u been on atkins? This is the second time I come back to atkins and I'm doing fine. Its only day 5 for me, but I came back to atkins witha different mind set this time. AND let me tell you half of the weightloss game if not more is your MIND!! I mean I defintiely think food does play a huge role, but its also how you view food, how you view activity and how you handle your emotions.

GOOD luck

Piera
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 11:23

BF:

Thanks Alina for the thread.

MacArtist: I did strict induction for a week and this is week 2 and not quite so strict as I've allowed some alcohol. One thing I noticed last night as I sipped my white wine was how SWEET it tasted! We drink a dry wine and I never noticed it before!

Regarding the FitDay site again: yesterday my total fats were 65% but it also had different percentages for Sat, Poly and Mono.
Can someone explain that to me please.

Also, I buy deli chicken (sliced cooked) and some ham and wonder if its full of carbs?

I weigh in tomorrow so will post my 'loss' then!

Labby
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 11:58

HI LAbby

I wouldn't worry about the breakdown on the "type" of fats your having too much. POly, mono and Sat are the differnet types of fat that exist. I do advocate trying to aim for more monounsaturated fats than saturated fats. Saturated fats come from animal sources like your pork, chicken beef, dairy, eggs. BUt the mono and poly UNsaturated fats come from plant sources like olive oil, avocados, and nuts. I would try to stick with getting more of those than the animal kind. I have read extensively on this and think gettin more OLive is better than lard or butter.

Also I am staying FAR FAR away from DELI meats. Its processed junk. Full of chemicals, nitrates, salt and additives. ANd most deli meats have sugar. I noticed that the first time I did atkins whenever I ate deli it would stall me. I would suggest to not eat too much of it if at all. jst my opinion,

Piera
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 12:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130//
BF:
Progress: 103%
Smile trying my question here

asked the other day but let me try again since there seems to be some action on this thread do we follow the RDA for vitamin/mineral counts on fitday if we are on atkins- i want to know what my daily calcium leval should be, i am not a long term tracker of this info but my fingernails went from nice to nubs since i started this diet- thought fitday might help me find my problem...TIA