Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 10:50

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Unhappy Stress is sabataging my low carb gains

Hi all,
Hopefully I can get some tips here about this because I know several others have written about feeling the same way when they're stressed.

These past few weeks have been major stress for me. I've had to make some decisions that are about to change the direction of my future (sorry to sound so mellowdramatic!). The stress has led me to some unplanned binges made me realize just how much an emotional eater I really am . I've been LCing off and on for almost 2 years and I've stopped and started about 3 or 4 times and this is the first time I feel like LCing is working really well for me, both weight and health wise. Not only are my clothes fitting looser but I'm much more energetic, feel healthier, and am able to focus and concentrate on one thing at a time more (this has been a major stumbling block to getting things done since I was a kid).

Anyway, what I'm saying is that I know the stress is only going to get worse the next few months until things are settled and I really want to stay on my low carb diet because I know the foggy confused feeling I get when eating lots of carbs will only hinder me (and of course I'll gain the weight I lost ). So I'm wondering does anyone know of any good books that talk about stress eating and some ways to fight it? Since school is over I have some extra time to read.

Thank you all.

Tam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 11:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Tam. Best of luck handling the stress through the holidays. It's no fun to have major decisions to make.

You've already won half the battle because you seem to have a grip on what's going on - emotional eating. Though I haven't read it, I've heard that Dr Phil's recent book addresses those issues. I've also read parts of Fred Pescatore's "Thin for Good". That one might be helpful, too.

Take care.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 12:55
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Two words... Doctor Phil.

Thin for good was a good one, but to me, nothing I've read spells it out like good 'ol Dr Phil.

The whole title is "The Ultimate Weight Solution" and even though I'd be considered biased, since I'm a big fan of him, even some Phil-haters I know admitted the book was very helpful. (And it pained them greatly to admit it!)
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 17:57

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:

Thanks for the tip - I think I read somewhere else on this board that Dr. Phil's new book does really deal well with emotional eating. I'll have to check that out!

Tam
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 13:08

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default when all else fails

Binge on low carb. You do way less damage and come back faster. It's also not as much fun.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 13:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Dr Schwarzbein explains how stress can burn your adrenal glans and that slows or makes it hard to loose weight. You may want to check the Schwarzbein forum, there is a lady named Wanda there that has a lot of knowledge.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 13:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Realizing you are a stress eater is a big step towards doing something about it. Believe me, I've had my crunchy-old-birthday-cake moments, and it can be overcome!
I like what I've read of Dr. Phil's book, and I think he has a straightforward style that makes issues understandable.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 01:03

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Exercise is a good way to combat stress .After all if stress gives an adrenaline response [or fight and flight].
Why not walk and air your problems .If you have a treadmill, you would feel so much better.
Pene
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 07:52

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 168/163/128 Female 5'1.5''
BF:44%/44%/22-28%

Here is what works best for me.

1- Exercise, exercise, exercise. And to be sure I do it, I joined a challenge: The 5 days exercise challenge.
There are so many challenges going on, I am sure you can find one that will meet your liking.

2- Write all that I eat on www.fitday.com. It just cut my appetite for the wrong kind of food and, while I am typing what I ate on the computer, I am not eating!

3- Write in my journal on a regular basis. It helps a lot to vent those frustrations everyday or so.