Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 178.5/174/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default How much cheese can I have (Phase 1)

Hello, this is my first day on SB and I can't seem to find the quantity of cheese I can have per day... I am a former Atkins dieter and you were allowed up to 4 oz. a day, depending on how it affected you... Is it the same for SB as well? I know you can have low-fat milk so my guess is, the more milk you have - the less cheese you should have... Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 14:40

Stats: 148/134/115 Female 62 inches
BF:I dunno?
Progress: 42%

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is an exact amount. The SB book is big on you shouldn't have to count carbs and portions. I think pretty much if it is on the safe list, jut eat it in moderation. You shouldn't go crazy with anything... I am sure if I am wrong someone will correct me.

NOW.. me on the otehr hand, I eat cheese ALL day
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 14:44
Registered Member

Stats: 178.5/174/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks! It looks like you've lost a lot of weight so far, when did you start? Have you ever been on Atkins?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 14:54

Stats: 148/134/115 Female 62 inches
BF:I dunno?
Progress: 42%

nope.. started off on SB right away. I think it was April 21st or something. I lost all of it the first 2 weeks (it was actually almost all the second week). I have been stalling the last week or so. Not gaining, but just at a stand still. It has been raining and nasty here for the last week and I have no energy or get up and go like I usually do. I am HOPING that is the problem.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 18:58

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default 2 servings of dairy or more

http://www.mizfrogspad.com/South_Be...1_Food_List.htm
has nice summary and it limits bacon to 2 slices but not dairy.
Somewhere else here it says 2 servings. I love cheese and I don't think it stalls me - I use low fat (70/30) though.

Dixiemom, nearly everyone stalls after induction/phase 1! Your body needs to switch. In the first weeks, you loose the carb stores in your muscle and liver, and the associated water (like starch retains the water), and when that is gone, most poeple stall until the body realizes, "oops, nothing left, I have to switch to fat burning" - just make sure you now drink enough water (the fat burning needs it), and don't let your body go into starvation by skipping snacks. I always re-started losses by eating snacks dutifully - not much, just a hard boiled egg or a veggie quiche or so.