Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 09:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/140/140 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question How many calories a day?

Ok, I know that it really _doesn't_ matter, but on the other hand - it does. How many calories a day (approximately) are ok on Atkins? I presume this would somehow depend on the weight, but can anyone give me a general "rule of thumb"?

Yesterday was a bad day for me. I mean, I think I stayed within the guidelines (percentagewise) - 73% fat, 25% protein and 2% carbs (total of 15 mg), but the overall calorie amount had me in a state of shock (admittedly, I was stuffing my face like there's no tomorrow - tsk tsk tsk).

So, once again - any suggestions on just how many calories a day are "acceptable"?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 11:12

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

Hi Teaselus

This might help you. 10% of your weight which is 2,500 is the amount of calories you should be consuming. Your proportions between Fat, Carbs and Protein seem to be in line. Of course as your weight goes down so do your calories.

Good luck.

Rose
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 15:29

BF:
Unhappy Ooooops!

I've been a bad, bad, bad girl yesterday. ((((((

I'm making up for it today, though (and am very proud of myself).

Thanks, Rose!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 15:29
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I am just wondering? Does anyone know why you should be eating 10 to 12 times your weight? One would think that you would lose better keeping the calories less. So how is it that eating more helps you lose. I have just started tracking my foods on fitday, and I always fall a bit short on those numbers. However I could get more calories in if I could have an extra carb of 10 !
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 15:36

BF:

Hi, MaryToU!

Eat more bacon. Zero carbs and LOADS of calories. And not half bad (for most people's tastes'), either. Add it into your salad if you can't take it straight.

I think it's ok not to eat all the calories you're "supposed" too, though (yesterday was a freak day, have no idea what happened, I can barely eat anything today and I'm definitely going to fall at least 500 - probably 1000 - calories short of my "allowance").

I was just asking what my "limit" was (because it stands to reason that "eat all you want" isn't really - I mean, there are always limits).
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 15:58
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Good idea, but I still have to cook up some bacon!

I am still wondering why the formular of 10x you body weight in calories works?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 20:31

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

Hi MaryToU

I believe you need to eat 10X your weight so your body doesn't go into the starvation mode and to keep the cravings away. While you are doing the two weeks of Induction don't worry about the calories but try and eat the higher amount.

You must realize that this is a WOE (way of eating) and NOT a diet. You will lose weight SLOWLY on this plan but you will need to be on maintenance the rest of your life or you will just regain all the weight you lost if you go back to the way you were eating. Makes sense, doesn't it.

There are so many other benefits to this WOE like more energy, good cholesterol numbers, inches coming off, clothes fitting better.

Beats getting on the scale and gaining 5 pounds. At least when you are on this WOE you are in control of your food and not your food controlling YOU.

Good luck to you and Teaselus.

Rose

Last edited by RBalhan : Tue, Apr-01-03 at 20:46.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 23:16

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Some say 10 to 12 times your CURRENT body weight, but there is also a school of thought that says 10 to 12 times your TARGET GOAL WEIGHT in calories.

I eat about 10 times my goal weight in calories on an average day, not my current weight.

Somebody emailed the Atkins center and I am 99% positive they agreed on the 10 to 12 times GOAL body weight, not current.....anyone got a link to that thread?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 05:21

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Holy cow, there are SO many threads on this issue.

My view on this is that the heavier you are the more cals you need for your bmr (basal metabolic rate) carrying all the weight around, so I use the 10-12x CURRENT weight. As you lose weight, the # of cals will be less, so you'll be steadily dropping calories as you drop pounds. The reason for this calculation is to meet your bmr requirements. If you're below that requirement, your body will be deprived and start to hold on to every cal you put in, thinking it's starving.

HTH,

Nicole

BTW, bacon is NOT 0 carbs, unless it's made with no sugar (which is pretty hard to find). Maybe check some labels in grocery store to see what I mean if yours doesn't have nutr. info. Still very low, tho
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 10:03

BF:
Default On Bacon

I buy the Brown Boar (or some other kind of Boar, don't remember), and it has no sugar on the label - neither in the nutrition information nor the ingridients.

It does have nitrates, though, which is not a very good thing, but I can't live without bacon. Thisis what initially started me on the no-carb diet: I can give up the sugar, I can give up the pasta, I can give up the bread, but don't anyone DARE touch my meat!