Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-04, 09:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/ 000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default anywhere else to buy Carbquik

Hi. So far the only place I have found in Canada to buy Carbquik is the Low Carb Food Depot. They sell it for $9.00. Most of the online places in the States sell it for under $5.00. That almost double the price at Low Carb Food Depot which, with our high dollar these days, doesn't make sense. Does anyone know of somewhere else in Canada that sells Carbquik for a lower price?

Cherie in Montreal.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 11:28
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb-My Version
Stats: 278.5/000.0/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 217%

I've been looking for this in the Ottawa area too. I would really like to try it, but like you I don't like the thought of paying $9.00 when it is $5.00 in the States. So, with the exchange rate today that would be $5.96 Canadian. Hmmm
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 17:51

Stats: 250/219/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hi - I will be getting it in my store in London next week, but my price will also be $8.99 - It's hard to compete with US prices with the dollar so low - so go for ordering it over the border, but don't forget to calculate shipping, duties and taxes. That's what always drives my prices up.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 19:48

Plan: south beachish
Stats: 171/164/150 Female 5 9
BF:
Progress:

What is carbquick?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 11:38

BF:

Carbquik is a replacement for Bisquik - - biscuits, muffins, breading and so on 2g effective carb per serving, made from wheat, no soy.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb-My Version
Stats: 278.5/000.0/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 217%

Caroline, have you tried the Carbquik yet? I heard that it is good, the best of that type of product out there. If I were to order it from the LC Food Depot it would be nice to know if I should get more than one box.

Thanks
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-04, 10:05

BF:

Hi - nope I haven't tasted it yet, I will be receiving my first shipment within the next few days. I have spoken with Stephanie at LC Food Depot, and she says that it tastes great.

Caroline
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-04, 15:12

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Just FYI, there is no duty or taxes on groceries brought in from the US for your own consumption - I have no experience with bringing them in for re-sale, though.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-04, 16:03

BF:

Interesting - most of my stuff comes through Cdn distributution, but I import Whey Low, which is a sugar substitute, and I do have to pay mucho duty for that.
Caroline
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 18:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumof4boys
I've been looking for this in the Ottawa area too. I would really like to try it, but like you I don't like the thought of paying $9.00 when it is $5.00 in the States. So, with the exchange rate today that would be $5.96 Canadian. Hmmm
You forgot to add the extra cost of shipping over the border (all shippers, including wholesalers, charge extra to cross that imaginary line), brokerage fees and GST/Customs duties on a BAD day (you just can't argue with a Customs Officer...believe me).

On top of all that, you get the dubious privilege of buying large minimum amounts of items, in advance of anyone actually ordering, at the exchange rate (and credit card surcharges including the new-ish exchange surcharge per transaction) at whatever the exchange rate is at that time. I can assure you it hasn't been this good for very long, and this good rate only applies to goods purchased, like, today!

Then there's (other) overhead costs. Snort!

Last edited by IslandGirl : Tue, Nov-23-04 at 18:39.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 18:40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline30
Interesting - most of my stuff comes through Cdn distributution, but I import Whey Low, which is a sugar substitute, and I do have to pay mucho duty for that.
Caroline

That's either heavy duty brokerage fees or somebody's using the wrong duty code on your product made of pure sugars (really, the Whey Low is lactose/fructose/other such stuff...).
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 18:44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline30
Hi - I will be getting it in my store in London next week, but my price will also be $8.99 - It's hard to compete with US prices with the dollar so low - so go for ordering it over the border, but don't forget to calculate shipping, duties and taxes. That's what always drives my prices up.

...and make sure you DON'T order UPS Ground (or any Ground) shipping because it's cheaper. That's when the massive brokerage charges -- by UPS, duh! -- hit you.

Get USPostal shipping or any kind of 'air' wherever possible. Better price and no brokerage -- though you MIGHT get hit with GST erroneously by Canada Post/Canada Customs if they misinterpret the package contents. The customs declaration often ends up saying something like 'supplements' instead of 'grocery' or 'foodstuff' and bing, you get GST'd.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 23:00

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 175.6/135.2/125 Female 5'2" inches
BF:I/dont/care
Progress: 80%

I'll be ordering Carbquick from Netrition website. They have a clearance sale right now: 3 lbs Carbquick for 11.00$US. Now thats 3.67$US/lbs (approx 4.42$CAN) whereas LowCarb Food Depot sells it at 9$CAN/pound (unless im mistaken). Shipping charges or not, it has to come cheaper ordering in the US!!
Beebuzz
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 23:03

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 175.6/135.2/125 Female 5'2" inches
BF:I/dont/care
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
...and make sure you DON'T order UPS Ground (or any Ground) shipping because it's cheaper. That's when the massive brokerage charges -- by UPS, duh! -- hit you.

Thanks for the heads up!!
Beebuzz
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 14:46
Registered Member

Stats: 000/ 000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I did place an order on Netrition for various things, including Carbquik. The shipping charges come to half of the value of the order, so I only order from them if it is something I really can't find here in Canada, like the erythritol.

Cherie.