Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 20:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/287/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default CCLL Questions

I have been keeping my carbs to between 20-30 carbs per day for the past 4 months. I know I should be adding 5 carbs each week to find my CCLL, but my weight loss has been so erratic that I'm not sure if I will be able to tell when I reach my CCLL as every other week I have no weight loss or a gain at the 20-30 carb level. Also over the last 2 weeks, I had a 1 pound gain and didn't change my diet at all or increase the carbs. Do you think I've already reached my CCLL at 30 carbs per day? If I increase my carbs, how will I be able to tell what my true CCLL is? Should I just start increasing until I gain weight both weeks and then drop back? I only weigh in once a week.

Since I've been stuggling to lose weight at 20-30 carbs a day, I'm very leary about adding more carbs too. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 21:00

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%

I think you should slowly add more carbs back in. Raise your carb level by 5g each week. This may even help with your weight lose struggles you body may have gotten used to such a low carb intake and an increase may start the lose rolling again.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 21:18

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%

That's a good question. One thing I've learned about weight loss on this board is that there are more questions then there are answers! I think this is also one of those questions without a straight forward answer.

About a month ago I started increasing my carbs and got up to 25g or so, and stopped losing weight. I too started to wonder if my CCLL was destioned to be that low. I dropped them again to less than 20 for about a week, and the weight loss picked up again. However, since then I've worked myself up to 35g and am still losing weight... go figure.

If you think about it, back before you were on Atkin's you were probably consuming about 200g carbs per day. Chances are the weight gain with this level was fairly small, over a short period of time. Now that your body is "tuned" to low-carbing, the insulin response from even moderate amounts of carbs could result in relatively high fat storage, compared to what would have happened pre-Atkins. However, the idea behind OWL and pre-maintenance is to continue "re-tuning" your body gradually to higher levels of carbs.

From what I've read in the Maintenance forum here (even though most people stop counting carbs when they reach this level), it should not be unreasonable to attain a CCLL of 50-100g or so. I know it sounds like a lot considering what we're now used to, but if done gradually, it should be doable for most people.

So I'd suggest just keep doing what you're doing. The 1lb increase could be for a number of reasons -- most likely water retention if you haven't changed your diet.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 07:56

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I think its hard to find one's CCL. Quite frankly, I think mine is 30 but I am not sure (even after doing this for almost 16 mos). I just stay under 30. I too loose weight erratically.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 10:27
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

From what I understand carbs can increase water retention, at least at first. Maybe keep it at the level you are now and drink more water to see if you go up another pound, or if you start to go down again. Maybe try green tea as well since it is a natural duretic.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 13:02

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

My two cents: I am also still on Induction (week 8) but eventually will have to climb the "carb ladder".

What I plan on doing, and what I would suggest for you, is a slow and steady climb. Add on the 5 grams...but instead of each week, maybe sit it out two or 3 weeks, so you can see how you really react and how your body adjusts. It may be easier to add on, and check on weight loss this way (and determine what foods you may be really sensitive to!).

Good luck!

Froufie
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 13:11

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/212.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 31%

I have just moved to 25 grams/day and I think I will stay there at least a month. I don't lose weight day by day or even weekly like some. I gain a few pounds mid-cycle of TOM and right before it starts. I usually only lose what "stays off" right after TOM. I agree that it is going to be HARD to determine our proper CCL and only time, time and more time will show it.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 13:54
Registered Member

Stats: 340/287/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thanks for all your input. Sorry it's taken me couple of weeks to get back to this post. I've had several out of town trips and my son who is stationed in Germany came home for a visit so I haven't been on line much at all. I've upped my carbs to 25-30 a day and now have been dropping 3-4 lbs a week ever since, including week before, during and after TOM. Go figure! Hope this keeps up for a couple of more weeks....next month I'll go to 40 and see what happens.