Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 16:53

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Food Labels -- Nutrition information and misinformation

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/labels.html
This is an interesting analysis of the problems that food labels can create. It's amazing what manufactures can get away with and still be legal. Now that the U.S. government want to regulate low-carbs I wonder what problems that will create.
The analysis of Promise Fat Free Margarine showed that the 5 cal/serving (no fats) was really 61 calories with 56 of those from fat!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 19:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Scientific Psychic? That sounds oxymoronic. Hey, you can test your ESP there!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 11:43

Plan: Protein Power/Body Rx
Stats: 178/150/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Cool More on nutrition labels

ScientificPsychic.com may sound oxymoronic, but it is scientific and deals with the mind.

I started the website after I retired and decided to share my knowledge of chemistry, computers, and critical thinking.
I have added some web pages about physical fitness with emphasis on the chemistry of nutrition which are probably of interest to this forum. Here is a link to these pages where you will also find my before and after pictures:

http://www.ScientificPsychic.com/fitness/index.html

The misinformation that I found on nutritional labels got me angry enough to file a petition with the Food and Drug Administration to clarify the use of "100% Natural" and "Fat Free". My petition and its current status is here:

http://www.ScientificPsychic.com/fitness/petition.html

Happy dieting!

Antonio Zamora
Attached Images
File Type: jpg azx.jpg (2.3 KB, 5 views)
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 12:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Antonio! I bookmarked your site. I'll be interested to see how your petition to the FDA unfolds.

I'm in Canada, but a lot of LC products are from the US and have those annoying "round it to zero" Nutrition Facts labels.

One thing I didn't know: the FDA's definition of "healthy". "A food low in fat, saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium, and contains at least 10% of the Daily Values for vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, calcium, protein or fiber." I can't help but look around my kitchen and note that half of my food wouldn't make their cut. Let's see... the cream I just poured in my coffee, the avocado I'm going to eat later, the eggs I'm about to cook for lunch, the fatty chicken broth that's going to be turned into soup for dinner...