Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 16:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 00/00/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Low-Carb Audience, Full of Other Food Choices, Thins Out

Low-carb audience, full of other food choices, thins out
Foodmakers now are saddled with products that may not be wanted

By Delroy Alexander
Tribune staff reporter
Published January 16, 2005

After watching a friend lose 80 pounds on the Atkins diet, Marge Heath rushed into the low-carb craze in the summer of 2003.

She joined just after the number of Americans trying to slim down by eating few, if any, sweet and starchy foods hit its peak in February when 27 million Americans, or 9.1 percent of the population, said they were watching their carbs.

But Heath, 56, found the diet restrictive and specialized foods rare and expensive. And as she watched her friend slowly gain back weight, Heath switched to a more traditional approach espoused by Weight Watchers International with which she has lost 30 pounds.

"It was quick weight loss using the low-carb plan, but it wasn't permanent weight loss. I felt deprived on it, and I had used Weight Watchers before so I knew it worked," said the mother of four from Montgomery.

Heath's path mirrors that of millions of others who left for other plans or simply returned to the comforts of bread and potatoes. It's a path the food industry crossed, and missed, in its efforts to cash in on the low-carb craze.

In 2004 food companies increased the number of low-carb offerings more than fivefold, to 2,378 products, just as Heath and more than 16 million others appeared to have lost their appetite for low-carb diets. In 2003, when low-carb dieting was at its peak, there were just 400 low-carb products on the shelves, according to Mintel International Group Inc.'s new product database.

Atkins Nutritionals Inc., the products company behind the popular diet of the same name, and other firms such as Northfield-based Kraft Foods Inc. and Chicago's Sara Lee Corp. flooded the market with products, many of which failed to stick.

And they're still coming. This month Kraft expanded its line of cereal, meal-replacement bars, sandwich wraps, frozen entrees and pizzas for The South Beach Diet, which limits certain types of carbohydrates and fats.

The introduction was timed to coincide with shifts among low-carb dieters, said Dr. Arthur Agatston, creator of the South Beach diet.

"Weight loss is not about low carbs or low fat, but the right carbs and the right fats," Agatston said. "I am encouraged that people appear to be shifting from strict low-carbohydrate diets to more balanced approaches."

Other low-carb products have been on the decline.

Atkins Nutritionals saw its arrangement for a low-carb pasta with American Italian Pasta Co., the nation's largest producer of dry pasta, sink without a trace.

The company's push into pastries with Entenmann's owner George Weston Bakeries Inc. also died out quickly.

Mainstream targeted

Several of Kraft's CarbWell lines of products launched early last year have struggled to attract consumers' attention.

Even Sara Lee Bakeries, which has seen its year-old line of Delightful wheat breads soar in sales, is looking at reducing the prominence of its "9-grams-per-slice" carbohydrate claim on the bread bag in favor of a more broadly acceptable "45-calories-per-slice" tag, according to spokesman Matthew Hall.

"I think that products that have their identity entirely wrapped around carbs have probably suffered," Hall said. "We wanted to pitch our bread to mainstream consumers. We made sure we didn't put carb in the name."

Even though the explosion of new products missed the height of the frenzy, it's too early to say carb-conscious products are dead on the shelves, said Harry Balzer, a Chicago-based food industry consultant with NPD Group.

"The peak year for concern about low fat was 1994," said Balzer, drawing an analogy between carbs and another phenomenon that swept through the food sector.

"Ever since then there has been declining concern about it, but the peak year for consumption of low-fat products was 1999. Americans did what they always do. They tried new products, and I suspect they'll do it again."

Despite its recent failures, Atkins Nutritionals may be among the best examples of that.

"What we've seen is fewer people want to be on a diet," said chief marketing officer Matt Wiant. "But there are many more people who are willing to modify their eating patterns, and that's where our products fit."

Fewer new products will hit the market with the Atkins logo this year, mainly because of the growing competition, Wiant said.

He remains positive, though, given the potentially huge untapped market, estimating that the low-carb segment is worth about $1.5 billion annually.

Wider market

However, Atkins is targeting its products to a larger category: the $40 billion, "better-for-you" nutrition products, says Wiant, referring to goods aimed at people looking to eat healthier.

Another key factor likely to help sustain a steady flow of new products coming to market are Atkins' lucrative multiyear licensing deals, which have put its red A and blue ribbon logo on many products, including ice cream, sugar-free pancake syrup and chips.

In only two years the company has gone from producing almost all its products in-house to licensing the power of its brand to other food producers who have put Atkins goods in the dairy, refrigerated and freezer aisles as well as in the rest of the supermarket.

The licensees look longingly at the potential for growth illustrated by Atkins' most popular products, which are nutritional and energy bars.

From just three versions offered in 1997, the firm now has 170 different flavors. Last year Atkins Advantage nutrition and Endulge candy bars cornered almost 20 percent of the $660 million market, more than double the sales of Kraft's Balance bar, according to data from Information Resources Inc.

It's that potential and the power of the Atkins name that prompted Parthenon Capital and Goldman Sachs to pay a reported $533 million for an 80 percent stake in the privately held Atkins in October 2003.

"Investors are looking for a way to invest in the diet space," said Greg Capelli, a Chicago-based analyst at Credit Suisse First Boston. "They've seen the numbers, but Weight Watchers is really the only option at present."

The jury remains out on Weight Watchers, with a market cap of $4.2 billion, which saw double-digit declines in attendance at its support meetings during the height of the low-carb craze and has struggled to bounce back since, said Capelli.

In a move to help attract carb-conscious dieters, the company last year introduced Turnaround, a program that lets dieters eat more of certain foods instead of Weight Watchers' traditional diet, which allows members to eat a balanced range of foods based on a point system.

"Over the past year and a half they (Weight Watchers) have been greatly affected by low-carb plans," said Capelli. "January is typically a fantastic month for diets, what with New Year's resolutions. The question is, will that hold on into the rest of the winter and spring given the heightened awareness of other diet plans and interest in nutrition generally."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...hi-business-hed
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 19:39

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I'd like to find a lc bread that is not too expensive, tasty, stores well and has no soy or trans-fats. Crackers too.

My only problem with LC is that breads and crackers are delivery items. They add taste too....and I like the taste....but not with the poor quality of ingredients or the cost of the ones I've seen.

(I have bought some 7grain and seed bread from Whole foods, but it's really best within a day or two then seems to dry out quickly.)

I certainly don't feel deprived on LC!

This cracked me up:
Quote:
"It was quick weight loss using the low-carb plan, but it wasn't permanent weight loss. I felt deprived on it, and I had used Weight Watchers before so I knew it worked," said the mother of four from Montgomery.

I'd say it was pretty obvious that WW wasn't permanent either! If it was, she wouldn't be considering going on another diet!

That's the biggest problem. People see LC as a diet, then go back to HC when they get where they want to be. Or they let their carb addictions control them and feel "deprived" when they can't have all that highly processed garbage we call "food".

Oh well, at least we don't have to watch those dub LC commercials anymore! Now....if we could just get rid of Jarrod.....
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 20:55

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:

Quote:
But Heath, 56, found the diet restrictive and specialized foods rare and expensive.

I know how she feels...

So many times I've driven miles and miles looking for bacon or eggs or some broccoli. Good luck trying to find a cucumber at a store near you!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 03:16

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%

psssshhaw! I wish I could drive to find eggs and bacon! These foods are so rare I've had to start my own farm.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 05:24

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakkira
psssshhaw! I wish I could drive to find eggs and bacon! These foods are so rare I've had to start my own farm.

What animal do you raise that lays eggs and can be turned into bacon?

cjl (answer: turkey!)
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 05:37

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Fortunately for us here at the LC forum, economics has little to do with reality. Much of the so-called "low-carb" foods aren't low enough.

Properly done, most of us should have little need for candy bars, etc. These "Atkins-friendly" or whatever they call them is the wrong message.

If you are in ketosis, you are doing the diet correctly. As such, you should be having far less cravings for carbs or even any form of food, as appetitie tends to be suppressed, etc.

Falling off the wagon does happen, but it should have the guilt associated with it that is deserved. It seems to me that these products give the guilty an "out" thus backfiring and ruining the diet by "sliding" into a zone where you aren't on the diet anymore.

I know people who are occasionally motivated to "splurge" fully knowing that the event is going to cost them well over a month to recover from, but due to some social pressure, they anticipate and look forward to their transgressions.

Once past, guilt often does set in, but we have to tell them to just start over, and in 14 more days they should be back on the road again, etc.

Anyone got any totally concrete info about "net carbs"? Until someone shows me better, I think this is just a delusion designed to remove guilt while cheating, then scratching your head why the diet doesn't seem to work any more, etc.

I want some input such as constant ketostix monitoring, substituting the net-carb product for the same number of clear-count carbs, and showing no change in the ketostix reading, etc. I doubt if anyone can show that net carbs works!

In any case, ketostix needs to be emphasized for anyone who really wants to know where they stand on a daily basis. However/whatever you put into your mouth tempered with whatever exercise you did/didn't do, etc., the stix don't lie!

cjl ("deep purple"? Maybe just smoke on the water!)
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 09:33

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

"In 2004 food companies increased the number of low-carb offerings more than fivefold, to 2,378 products, just as Heath and more than 16 million others appeared to have lost their appetite for low-carb diets. In 2003, when low-carb dieting was at its peak, there were just 400 low-carb products on the shelves, according to Mintel International Group Inc.'s new product database."

I could do just fine eating low-carb with 0 low-carb products. The only "products" I need are meats, eggs, cheese, and veggies.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 11:51

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Its interesting the monitor low-carb participation by the decline in bad tasting LC products. You'd think they could be clever enough to watch the increase in meat, cheese and veggies verses the decline in potatoes, sugar and rice consumption
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 12:14

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groggy60
Its interesting the monitor low-carb participation by the decline in bad tasting LC products. You'd think they could be clever enough to watch the increase in meat, cheese and veggies verses the decline in potatoes, sugar and rice consumption

Good Point Groggy 60. One of the biggest organic food shops in our city are constantly out of eggs. They just can't meet the demand. And yesterday in my local food superstore the egg stock was half depleted and there were no brown or organic eggs in stock.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 14:08

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Oh, they are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groggy60

People who write for the Wall Street Journal ARE monitoring the change in beef consumption, for sure. It doesn't make for exciting news stories. You can also be sure that the people at Kraft, Frito-Lays, and General Mills know exactly what the real story on LC is, because it must be hitting them in the pocketbook HARD. That doesn't mean they'll admit the # in print, though.

It's just scary for Big Food because the real LC works, but it doesn't come with coupons and unless you are picky about meat, barely addresses brand-name anything.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 17:38

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:

Quote:
It's just scary for Big Food because the real LC works, but it doesn't come with coupons and unless you are picky about meat, barely addresses brand-name anything.

Good point! I just looked through my refrigerator for dinner - vegetables, cheapest meat (Wal-Mart frozen chicken breast), eggs, generic heavy cream, whatever cheese is cheapest...

Although I do remember seeing coupons for meat when I was a teenager - in the late 80's.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 19:25

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
BF:18%
Progress:

I wonder how many of those people who stopped low-carbing because they found it restrictive or didn;t like LC products actually read a book?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 16:33
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 185/177/135 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I was wondering that too. Are those people going to the grocery store and putting everything with the Atkins label on it into their grocery carts? Most of the low carb diets I've seen don't require special food--just meat, eggs, fish, and vegetables.

Not that I believe in conspiracies...but in the past four months I've see several articles, where an average citizen falls prey to the "low carb craze", tries it for a bit, then quits because it was ______________ (fill in the blank -- too restrictive, too expensive, conducive to binging, conducive to heart attacks, etc.) BUT THEN the average citizen finds Weight Watcher's, and all is well.

And it's always Weight Watcher's, never Nutrisystem or Jenny Craig. I wonder if they are bribing reporters to boost their sagging sales?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 16:37

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%

I think you're on to something there sara. Every single article has something great to say about WW. BTW is weight watchers one of those plans that you have to buy their food? If it is I don't see how they can use restrictive/too expensive as an excuse to bad mouth LC.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 16:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

No, you don't buy food for their plan, though like Atkins there is a Weight Watcher's food division that markets WW foods in grocery stores. But they make money charging a (I think) weekly fee to participants.