Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 09:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/199.2/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Not loosing

I am on my third week of induction and have not lost since my 1st. I am now getting discouraged. I am eating anything but what is allowed I drink my water as well. Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...ml?Owner=weewoe

Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 09:38

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi WeeWoe:
I'm assuming you are a woman (rarely do men talk about stalling) so here is my go on it.
If you are approaching PMS you may have a stall. This is what happened to me. I had to wait 3 weeks to see anymore weight loss results and then it was only 3 lbs (quite a downer because my induction was 10 lbs).
I am learning to be more patient about this because I realize the new way of eating is what is important and then in time, I will tweak the weight and that will slip away. I figure, even if I only lose 1 lb a week, that is an incredible 52 lbs for the year!!!! Heck, that beats the Bejesus out of gaining another 20 lbs in a year!
I finally know how to eat properly and this board helps me to keep on track. I hope to be an example later on, when I have lost all the weight.

I sometimes look at the *success stories* on this board and on the atkins.com board for inspiration. Dreaming that one day, I too will be able to post before and after pictures and a short story of *how I made it to the end of my goal!*
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 09:50

Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi WeeWoe

I lost 9 lb the first week, 8 lb the second week, and none the third week (because I was PMS'ing and got my TOM). Now I am 5 days into week 4, and the scale finally moved again this morning as my TOM was trailing off. Your natural body water fluctuations around your TOM could definitely have something to do with it.

Also, you weigh somewhat less than me and some others on the board do, and the less you have to lose the slower it probably will come off. I figured, having read advice on the board, that my body just needed time to adjust (and this often happened during week 3). Your diet on Fitday certainly looked great- my advice is to stick with it- that darned scale will move again!!!

Good luck- stick with it and let us know!!

Cathy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 09:54
Registered Member

BF:

I don't have TOM anymore Haven't in ten years. so that can't be the answer..
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 09:56
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Your fitday over the last three days suggests too much protein. Protein will breakdown to glucose and result in insulin release and your body starts packing away the excess. You only need 2-3 oz of protein per meal rather than 8 oz steaks. I didn't see anything under activity either. So I'd suggest cut the meat back and start walking. Keep up the water and good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 10:24

Stats: 195/180/165 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

<toung in cheek> I hate that TOM. Ankles swell, I become a bitch, I stalled on losing, my nipples hurt, and I can't bend very far. Honey, males, too have the monthly cycle. LOL It is called Practically Menstrual Syndrome. Some guys may not admit it, but hello?? Most of the effects, like them or not, are common to men and women.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 10:32

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Question

Are you taking estrogen? How come you haven't had a period in 10 years? Hormones taken for any reason can stall/prevent loss.

Also, glancing at your fitday, your carbs are actually looking a bit too low. Your body needs fuel, so try to keep that up aound 20 through induction, then you can add more.

Are you drinking lots of water? Exercising regularly??
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:39
Registered Member

BF:

I haven't had that TOM because the doctors removed all but the ovaries. I am not on any estrogens. so you think my proteins are to high? how much should I really be eaating. I do drink about 40 oz of water. and should I be counting the carbs in my decaf coffee.and herbal tea.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:13
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Go to www.zomeperfect.com and look under Resources for thier body fat calculator. It will give you a number for grams of protien you need a day as well. Try doing the coma level of activity, and the very athletic to give yourself a range.

If you like doing the math yourself you basicaly take your lean weight and have 0.6-0.9 depending on activity level. To find lean weight you find out how many pounds of fat you have, body fat % * total weight. Then take total weight - fat pounds = lean weight pounds. Lean weight is your muscles, bones, internal organs, blood and so on. You want to make sure you are losing fat, not lean weight
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:33
Whoosh me baby!

Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Up your water. 40oz isn't nearly enough for the job it has to do. You double or triple your water intake and you'll probably get a visit from the woosh fairy in a matter of days!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 15:13
Registered Member

Stats: 253/241/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 14%

If you still have your ovaries, you probably still have TOM, even if you don't have all the drama that goes with it. You are probably still producing estrogen and that's a good thing. Be patient. I've learned to be. I'm on almost 5 weeks and stalled since week 3. I feel great though. Also, like others say, up your water intake. This helps almost everything!
I also bought some supplements that are supposed to help today. Calcium definitely, some L-Carnitine and some Coenzyme Q-10. I'm hoping these things help. I'll keep you posted.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 15:20
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Around 100 g of protein seems to be a good ballpark for most women. Otherwise, your menu looks okay.

Note that many, many people stall coming out of Induction - in the 3rd or 4th week, including myself. You lost 12 pounds on Induction -- that's terrific. Stick with the plan, and you will start losing again very soon.

k.