Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 23:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/157/123 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Arms going to sleep

I am doing induction after being on LC for 1 year and still not at my goal. I have noticed that my arms seem to be going to sleep. During the night, while walking or running. I am going for a Dr. visit this week and will certainly ask, but was wondering if it sound familiar to anyone. I have been drinking plenty of water, using supplements, maybe not taking in enough carbs. I also have some of the lightheadedness mentioned on the forum.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 09:38

Stats: 284/270/130 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Bumping this for you! I have heard about this before from a woman on another forum. I don't know if she ever figured out what was going on, but it sounds very disconcerting.

~~Amaara
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 17:42

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

My arms go to sleep only when I am laying a certain way. I figure that I am just cutting off the circulation. It goes away when I move to a different position. Now my Dh's hands would go to sleep and stay tingly for half of the day and when he went to the Dr. then he found out that he was diabetic. He has had a hard time keeping his blood sugar in normal range until I started cooking all of our food Low Carb. Now he has normal blood sugar.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 19:53

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

That reminded me, whenever I get going really well on Atkins, I have horrible leg cramps at night. I'm not sure exactly why that is, but I've wondered if there is any supplement I could take that would help this. I wonder if its related to the arms falling asleep thing?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 20:01

Stats: 193/183/159 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 29%

I think that walking on my treadmill is possibly the reason for the tingling in my arms that I get on occasion. I finally noticed that the way I hold my arms while walking keep them in the same position which may add stress until I get use to it. It does seem to occur less now that I have been at it for a few weeks.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 20:31

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydnarella
That reminded me, whenever I get going really well on Atkins, I have horrible leg cramps at night. I'm not sure exactly why that is, but I've wondered if there is any supplement I could take that would help this. I wonder if its related to the arms falling asleep thing?

I was having terrible muscle cramps before I added potassium, magnesium and calcium to my supplements. Now I don't have them at all unless I forget to take the supplements.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 05:18
Registered Member

Stats: 149/123.6/124 Female 5'4"
BF:No idea
Progress: 72%

I do think that the tingling in the arms and hands and the leg cramps are related. When I added a calcium/magnesium supplement and increased my water intake, they went away. If you take the calcium/magnesium supplement closer to bedtime, you have the added benefit of it helping you sleep.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 06:27

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

sydnarella: I copied this from the Atkins website.

"Since I have started doing Atkins I have terrible leg cramps. How can I alleviate them?

Atkins has a strong diuretic effect during the first week of Induction. When you lose a large amount of water as you do at the start of any weight-loss program, you also lose electrolytes, which contain the minerals potassium, magnesium and calcium, resulting in leg cramps. To replace these vitanutrients, salt your food to taste and take a mineral supplement that includes calcium, magnesium and potassium. "
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 09:31

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I had the tingly extremities a couple of months in too. It turned into twitches (my thumb would twitch all by itself) and then I got the "heavy, dead legs" feeling. I started taking potassium along with my multi. I was fine for a few days, the tingly stuff went away but then wham-- I began getting the WORST leg cramps of my life. So I added magnesium/calcium and I started feeling fine. I'd say add both the potassium and the mag/cal. And make sure to keep drinking a lot of water.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 20:55
Registered Member

Stats: 160/156/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 16%

I have also had the tingly arms. They used to fall asleep on me all the time. It quit after I started Atkins and now I only notice it when I cheat with sugar (like tonight because I bought a box of chocolate mint girl guide cookies from the little neighbour girl!) It's weird that yours started after going on Atkins. I would definately try the supplements and if it doesn't go away discuss it with your doctor.