Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 17:06

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16
Progress: 0%
Default Does anyone ONLY lift weights and not do cardio?

I know a lot of programs say you can lose weight by just lifting weights alone, without cardio. Does anyone follow one of these programs and what are your results?
Also, what nutrition program do you follow?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 18:38

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi Misty!

I've been doing BodyRx for over 3 weeks and have done cardio only 1 time. Part of me would like to do more, but my "gym" is in the garage and even early morning is very very warm for the treadmill. I seem to be busier this time of year as well, but to be completely honest, I have been a bit lazy, enjoying sleeping in w/my family on the 2 days I said I would do cardio. Once school starts again, (two weeks) I may resume some mild cardio. Besides, if I remember right, Dr. Connely (BodyRx) doesn't recomend doing cardio. (Sorry, I am at work and can't double check in my book. If you'de like, I can get back to you on that point? )

I am following the "T-Dawg" plan as outlined in Nat's journal. (starting approx. pg 134 ) I am just in my first week so can't tell you about any results. I do know when I was doing BFL (cardio as well) I was in a stall the whole time! And I was really working hard, especially the cardio. ( Maybe this is why I'm not too excited about jumping back into the cardio? )

HTH,
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 18:45

That's interesting that you were in a stall when you were working hard doing BFL. Have you started losing since cutting the cardio?
I've been doing BFL for over a year now. I was following the BFL 40/40/20 nutrition plan until this past April. I gained 35 pounds while following the BFL diet and have only maintained on Atkins (strange considering I did really well on it 2 years ago,so I don't think I'm metabolically resistant).
I've been following Nat's log too and that's what made me curious.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 20:31

BF:

Hi again Misty,

Yeah, I thought a "stall" during BFL really stunk! I guess technically, it wasn't a true stall since I am relatively sure I lost some inches. The pant-o-meter was showing some change in the figure at least during the first 6 weeks.

My clothes have felt the same for quite awhile now and the scale has not moved out of it's 5lb "bubble" (other than a brief gain over vacation ). So, "no", I have not lost any wt since stopping the cardio, nor have I gained any wt. either.

I don't recall your stats (and they are not visible during "reply" mode), but is the wt gain something you wanted? I thought NOT losing was bad, but gaining??? I am really hoping to see some changes in 8 weeks following this new plan.

I curious to see if there are others who respond to this thread and see what cardio has done (or not done) for them. Are you comtemplating changing game plans? If you have time, let me know.

Cya,
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 20:41

My stats are my clothing size: 10/10/6. I usually don't weigh myself, so I go by the pant-o-meter. I'm guessing I need to lose about 35 pounds to get to a size 6, but muscle takes up less room than fat, so who knows? It may be more, it may be less.
I'm thinking of changing plans since I've been on BFL for so long and haven't seen hardly any results. I was thinking of trying Body Rx or something else but am afraid of gaining weight if I give up the cardio. For a brief time last spring I tried more cardio and only 2 days of weights, but I just lost muscle tone and got flabbier.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 20:53

BF:

I have really enjoyed BodyRx! I get DOMS like never before! (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) I guess what really counts will be any results I see at the end. I have seen some strenth increase in the first 3 weeks, hopefully those new muscles will start earning their keep.

Gotta go, chat later,
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 18:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/266/200 Male 6 feet
BF:

Hey Misty

I do only weights and cardio. I follow "Protein Power"

Results? Well, I've gained 6 pounds (this is as of 3 weeks ago - it could've gone up, I haven't weighed recently).

However, this is likely to be muscle.

Little difference with the waist measurement. But my pyjama top has gotten tighter, so my upper body work must have an effect.

I gained 8 pounds on Atkins in 6 months, i.e. everything I lost on induction. No idea why.

So that's why I switched to PP.

In PP (if you haven't read it, do - I think there's a new one called PP Lifeplan - I have the old plain PP ) they are very pro-weights. They see little benefit in cardio.

I feel my body has shaped since starting weights, but I haven't had the fat loss I want.

My plan is this - if LC alone won't shift the fat, I'll LC and build muscle. Attack it from 2 directions.

Don't know how useful this is. But I think weights alone are OK - cardio can eat into muscle gain I believe.

I want as much muscle as possible, so I avoid cardio.