Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 07:23

Plan: General LC no plan
Stats: 225/195/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Nay-sayers

Somebody had mentioned that I should start telling EVERYBODY that I'm eating this way so they will know better what not to offer me. Some people will go as far to say that "Oh, you can't have this or that."

I don't know about anybody else, but I really wouldn't want anybody else to have to worry about what I put in my mouth. Ultimately, it's my own decision. And lets face it, if we chose the behavior, we also chose the consequence {both good and bad}.

Most people don't really understand the whole LC thing anyway. I gave up trying to explain it.

For example: recently [I'm sure we all have a similar story] was talking with a gal at work, and I don't like to say "Atkins" or "high protein" but do say low carb... (Because I just get sick of defending it all the time)... anyway, she did put it together and asked me if I was "doing Atkins"... so I said I was.

She went on to say that it doesn't work because once you go off it, you gain all the weight back... I was like, "Why go off it? Why go back to eating processed crap/junk and let the weight come back on?" Her response was that if I didn't I would surely have a heart-attack and die.

Well, my point was: I don't really advertise it a lot... Most people just don't get "it". And I don't expect them to...

I'll eat what I want, and it's nobody's responsibility...

But what do you guys say to the nay sayers? Do you go in depth of how it works? Or do you just shrug it off...???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 07:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 234/152.6/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 82%

I'm like you, I have given up trying to explain why LCing is good for you, most people already have it set in their minds that "ohhh its soo bad for you, blah blah blah....".

I have totally given up explaining myself to people because there will always be those ones that want to argue with you and go on and on and on... so, i just dont bother with it anymore. If someone actually seems open and willing to try LCing, then i'll talk... but other then that... i just ignore what people say and come into work lookin better and better each day!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 07:50

Plan: Atkins (What Else??)
Stats: 245/143/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatjelly

She went on to say that it doesn't work because once you go off it, you gain all the weight back... I was like, "Why go off it? Why go back to eating processed crap/junk and let the weight come back on?" Her response was that if I didn't I would surely have a heart-attack and die.

Once you go off ANY diet, you will gain the weight back..which is why, if you want to be successful, you must make your way of eating a lifestyle change. And as far as having a heart-attack & dieing...ummm...I've been on Atkins over 4 years now, have lost over 100 lbs. and am still alive & better than ever!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 07:51
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

The problem is that the average person is not only ignorant, they are indoctrinated. They will parrot their indoctrination at you like their evangelism of food, all kinds of ridiculous nonsense. And then you will have to resist the urge to punch them in the head, and it's always annoying to have that feeling for people that you work with or worse, actually love. So usually it's easier just not to mention it at all. Some people choose to put it differently, like, "I avoid sugar, grains and processed foods, because they don't agree with me."
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I don't tell people what I eat and what I don't eat unless they ask. Then if they turn around and tell me "that doesn't work" I simply say you didn't see me 10 years and 130 pounds ago. That generally shuts people up.

If I really don't want to go there I tell them I do not recall asking for their opinion. I used to be less direct in how I phrased it, but I long ago learned that people who want to foist their opinions on me don't understand that I am saying "back off" when I am less direct.

In my view, there is nothing ruder than someone giving their unsolicited opinion on my personal life.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 08:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
"I avoid sugar, grains and processed foods, because they don't agree with me."

I like this one... Most people don't put 2+2 together with this statement..

I also wanted to add... Another gal at work was lecturing me on diet pepsi and all the potential cancer etc. Now, I only drink about one or 2 cans per week... I'm real good with my water... Anyway, of course she was drinking full on sugary Pepsi... AND she brought her lunch, but first she ate about 3 sugary desserts from the potluck, THEN ate her lunch..

She's constantly shoving her face full of sugar...

I didn't say anything...
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 08:37
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I always say ATKINS.

I like to f*$k with people

When I'm talking to patients I use the term "carbohydrate controlled". It seems to go over better.

Lisa
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 09:19

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I've never really had anyone be rude to me when it comes to my weight-loss journey. When they ask me how I've lost the weight......I just tell them "I watch my carbs".
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 09:22

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

P.S.....most people (whom I deal with on a daily basis) just say to me "wow....are/did you lose weight?" to which I simply reply "I'm trying".
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 09:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/162/145 Male 179 cm
BF:
Progress: 65%

I wonder where all those people are when you are taking the biggest slice of cake or a plate full of pastries at some party. Everyone knows that those things make people fat. But yeah... I forgot that obesity doesn't really increase the risk of heart disease and diabetes, among other things...
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 09:45

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I don't really feel the need to explain a lot to people about what I eat; however, if it does come up for some reason, what I tell people is that I don't eat processed foods, sugar, dairy or grains. Translation - I eat meat, veggies, nuts and fruit.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 09:55

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I owe Atkins my life.

I make SURE I tell anyone who asks. I don't give a rat's arse if people don't like it or believe me.

I honestly don't give a crap what others think and more or less enjoy their ignorance. Leaves all the meat and cheese for me!

I say things like, 'oh really? doesn't work? well, I've reversed my heart disease and borderline diabetes and lost 120 pounds. So I think it does work.'

"A fad? yes, it's been around since evolution, seems pretty fly-by-night to me"

"Grains are important? oh, yes, to finish off and fatten up livestock... for humans, hardly."

"It's hard to 'give up' insert carby food here'? It's harder to die by digging yourself your grave with your fork."
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 10:08

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Somebody had mentioned that I should start telling EVERYBODY that I'm eating this way so they will know better what not to offer me. Some people will go as far to say that "Oh, you can't have this or that."

i wouldn't do that. it's not anyone else's business what you do, or don't, put in your mouth. it's not up to them to tell you that you can't have something. it's your diet structured along the lines of what you've decided is right or wrong, and nobody else gets to tell you otherwise.

as far as i'm concerned, someone telling me what i can't have is far worse than someone trying to push sugary foods on me saying "oh just one bite won't hurt you."
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 10:11

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
]Her response was that if I didn't I would surely have a heart-attack and die.

Now see, maybe I'm horrible, but the first words out of my mouth would have been

"Wow. That is the biggest load of bulls*** I've ever heard in my life."

But then, I'm a blunt kind of person
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 20:52

BF:

I just find it condescending when people try to put thier "business" in my face...

But really I don't give a shoot.