Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 08:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%
Default Staying on Induction

Ok, I'm confused, one place I read that you can stay on induction as long as you like. Other places I've read that if you stay on it to long, it will slow your weight loss down and make you more carb sensitive. I even read that if you are in a stall you can up your carbs for a day or two and then go back to induction or lower them (which is what fat fast is) and get the weight going. Which way is correct.

Lora
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 08:46

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

My sister stayed on it for several months and began to lose her very thick hair! I know this is not necessarily the reason, but once she went off induction and added about 60 grams of carb per day, this stopped happening
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 08:54
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

If one remembers that a stall is 6 weeks or more with no pounds or inches lost...

If it's only been a few weeks with no pounds lost, just keep doing what you are doing. Remember to take measurements and check them to look for inches lost when the scale isn't moving.

Hair loss can happen 6 months or so later after a tramatic event such as losing a lot of weight, having a car accident, and after having a baby. What you eat today doesn't effect your hair loss today. Hair loss of this type will stop and new hair will grow in.

Atkins did not put either the reversal diet or the fat fast in his newest edition of his book I believe, leading me to believe he doesn't support such measures any longer.

Beth
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 09:08

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Ibiessen, Induction is a minnimum of 2 weeks

I am sorry, I intended this to be a reply to your post and I put it in the wrong place.

You can stay on it longer than 2 weeks but carbohydrates are needed for good health so, as with any diet, use wisdom. What does Dr. Atkins say about this? Even in his carb counter he encourages that you take care of how the diet is followed. The diet is formulated to retrain the body to consume the proper amount of carbohydrates so that it does not impact blood sugar. Has your sister had any blood tests done while on this diet? Having your blood tested periodically is a part of doing this.

Black57

Last edited by black57 : Tue, Apr-08-03 at 09:12.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 09:14

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Arrow

2 weeks for induction but you can stay on it longer up until you start getting bored. I was on it for 3.5 weeks then I added things like natural peanut butter, nuts, low-carb specialty foods in 5 carb increments. Some people stay on induction the entire period of wait loss and go on to maintenance after that.