Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 22:12

Plan: General LC, geared towards lowering blood glucose levels
Stats: 240/235?/190 Female 5'10 1/2"
BF:
Progress:
Default new to this list

I am so glad to have found this particular list! I have been on many other LC forums, but have searched and searched for one that particularly deals with diabetes. I am still researching the LC WOE and I have been trying to go low carb since the day after Christmas. I must say that my lack of self control has been very eye opening and depressing, though! In the past, I have not gone on "diets", but I am sick and tired of taking as many meds as I do each day and I am searching for a way of cutting down on them. Since the docs are not interested in helping me, I decided to work on it myself. I currently take sixteen pills each day (some are 2 a days) for high blood pressure, diabetes, hypothyroidism, anemia, low potassium (diuretic induced) and GERD. And I am only 41 years old. My struggle is staying on the WOE, though, and I must say that I am failing miserably. I have eight kids to feed, so I am constantly around all the stuff that is a temptation to me. I am hoping that, as I read and research more, I will be so convinced of this WOE that I am nauseated by the thought of french fries and chocolate cake! In the meantime, I will trudge on one meal at a time.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 06:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Default Welcome!

Boy, you have a lot on your plate! This is a good forum, there are a lot of people here who have really gone through the wringer getting metabolism towards being under control. Everybody is happy to lend an ear and give advice or answer questions, too.
Just be advised that medication can stall weight loss, if that's one of the things you're looking for.

Looking forward to reading your success stories!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

When I began Atkins in March of last year, I was taking 12 meds daily, my bp was out of control and I had so many health problems I was having to cut back on my life. Now, I'm down to 3 meds (and 23 vitamin supplements!), am controlling my bp very well, am controlling my blood sugars with diet and glucophage, and a host of problems have simply gone away. I'm living again.

Good luck to you and congratulations on choosing this way of living.

#4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 13:36

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default welcome

Glad you have joined us!
Having to cook for other people does make low carb harder but you can do it. It takes practice, planning, and lots of gritting your teeth.
If you always have on hand something quick and legal for yourself to eat, it will help you tremendously when you get hungry and the cake is there saying "eat me, eat me". Boiled eggs fit the bill here.
Another thing that would help you and all the kids is to gradually get them into eating low carb and get rid of all the junk that is so tempting. Feed them more green veggies and fruit and wean them off the fries. Instead of cake, make sugar free jello or sugar free pudding.
I've had to completely change the way I have always eaten, the foods I was raised on, and the kind of cooking I always liked to do. It requires reeducating yourself, and you may have to listen to lots of whining from the kids, but it is doable.
You are still young enough to turn most, if not all, of your ailments around. And certainly your children are young enough to start eating right so that they won't ever have diabetes.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 15:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree with Nopie...

I only have two kids, but I've gradually been weaning them off the high carb junk food and steering them towards more fruit, veggies, yogurt, cheese and sometimes nuts as snacks. When I first started low carbing, I continued to cook as I always had with a meat, veggie and potato, rice or noodles as a side dish. I ate the meat and veggie and left the rest for everyone else.
It helps that both of my girls love fruit and veggies, but that sweet tooth is hard to tame. For that, I've just switched to sugar-free products (jello, ice cream and pudding) and started making their kool-aid with Splenda instead of sugar (they never even noticed a difference). In the long run, giving your kids less sugar and junk food can only be a good thing and you will be teaching them good eating habits that will last them a lifetime.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 22:09

Plan: General LC, geared towards lowering blood glucose levels
Stats: 240/235?/190 Female 5'10 1/2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! Thankfully, my kids love eating the LC way, except for one that thinks he cannot live without bread. They would probably be happy to go LC, but my budget just cannot handle it right now! They love fruit, veggies, meat, cheeses and nuts. They love the junk food, too, but will eat the good stuff if it is put in front of them.

I think I have come to the conclusion that it took me 41 years to get to where I am now and I need to be patient with myself as I try to adjust to a totally new WOE. Kind of like after you have a baby and want your body to be back to "normal" right away - I was always told, "It took months for your body to get this way, so be patient and give it some time!"

Blessings,
Ramona
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 00:43

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

For the one who's just 'gotta' have the bread, buy the 'lite' bread. I've found they have only 6-7 grams/carb per slice instead of 11 or 12 (or more!) I like the 'Capt. John Derst's' light bread as it has the lowest carbs (6) and looks tastes and acts just like 'real' bread!