Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 07:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/190/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default RUBY TUESDAY & TGIF REVIEW

I just tried out both and I must say, I'm impressed. Rubys has many more options, it was very hard to pick one. I hadn't had that many choices on the menu for soooo long, it was overwhelming. lol They even included a low carb cheesecake, which was quite good. Not as good as mine but, what can I say, mine is to die for! lol I had the cajun chicken w/ mashed cauliflower which was excellent, I haven't been able to conquer making them right! my girlfriend had the cheeseburger wrap w/ salad. they were both very good. The church Chicken is sumptious too. I ate that many times before they turned to low carb, just requested broccoli & salad to subsitute for the straws and pilaf. At TGIF, the menu isn't as extensive but I had the double cheeseburger, cheeseburger which came with field greens & Balsamic vinegar dressing. Excellent meal (they use angus beef) & I was stuffed! They don't offer a dessert but I couldn't have ate one anyhow!

I for one am so grateful to these restuarants for jumping on the Low Carb Bandwagon. LC'ing has never been so easy!

Happy Holidays everyone,

Lynne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 10:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yeah, I had the cheeseburger wrap and the cheesecake (note the cheese trend) at Ruby's and I found both to be really yummy!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 14:13

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I also think it is great that they are gearing some of the menu for us LC's. We do not have a Ruby Tuesday near, wish we did. We do have a TGIFridays and will definitely be eating there more often. It is something that more will do I hope.

Linda
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 13:42

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 350/305/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Ruby Tuesday has become a weekly place for some of us at work -- about once a month our area receives envelopes of coupons -- almost always a buy one get one free for Ruby's.

Low carb and 1/2 price? How can you lose?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 17:44

Stats: 200/198.5/115.0 Female 5 "1
BF:
Progress:

I just went to Ruby Tuesdays recently I got the Burger wrap and the cheesecake which I see many of you all got. I have to agree it was EXCELLENT!!! I love that more places are starting to realize and jumping to get all the low carb business. I have to say it is ABOUT TIME!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 12:53
Registered Member

Stats: 188/187/172 Female 67"
BF:30%
Progress: 6%

My husband and I went to Ruby's and the cheesecake is Atkins. We asked the waitress about the receipe and she came back and told us. I thought it was great. NO splenda after taste. I don't know how they do that when I am sure they use it.

I would love your receipe for cheesecake Lynne if you would like to share.

Thanks
SHerrill
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 13:14
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

They don't use splenda. They use a sugar mix that is suposed to not be digested the same. (it's kind of like the theory behind sugar alcohols, but it's not those. ) Someone posted the ingredient list on the cheesecakes on a different thread, but I don't remember where.

The splenda after taste may be due more to the fillers they use in splenda. You might try liquid (syrups sweetened with splenda) or pure stevia extract with no fillers.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 13:18
Registered Member

Thank you Ladybelle. Maybe i will do a search and come up with the cheesecake ingredients. Can I get liquid splenda in the states?

I have been using xilitol and it works great except it doesn't dissolve very well. I use to make ice cream. Haven't tried it for cheesecake.

Bye,
Sherrill
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 14:08
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I have an entire book that is malitol recipes. I bet you could use it with xilitol though. The book is called "101 Low-Carb & Sugar Free Dessert Recipes."

I havn't used it because I try to avoid sugar alcohols, but if you bake with them and have no problem you may want to give it a look.

You can't buy liquid splenda in the US. What you can buy is a very mildly flavored syrup (mild vanilla) which is basicaly liquid splenda. They added the flavoring to avoid lawsuits, but from what the site says it doesn't effect baking. Do a search through old posts on here using the search function to get the web address and learn more.

My current favorite sweetner is stevia. It takes a while to learn how to use it, and you have to be extreamly careful. Just a tad too much and you get a nasty taste. It's an herb though, and a little goes a long way. 1/3 tsp = 1 cup sugar. It has a mild taste, but I found the taste addicting after a while. No ill effects like can come with sugar alcohols, and if you get a pure extract, no carby filelrs like with splenda (stevia mixed with carby filelrs is also available if you must :P )
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 14:22
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Here we go. Ruby Tuesday's cheesecake ingredients and nutricional info

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/newsle...esecake-med.gif

They use a sugar blend containing
Levulose, Lactin, Phase 2TM, and soluble fiber
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 13:55
Registered Member

Hi Ladybelle: THank you so much for the info. I find it interesting that they don't use splenda. That explains why it doesn't have that after taste.

I will look for the mild vanilla when i go out shopping today. I like the xilitoly but I know some people have stomach upset from it. Fortantely I have constipation so it actually helps me lol!!!

Thanks again,
Sherrill
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 09:12

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Cheesecake Recipe

It's a Juniors Cheesecake recipe tweeked.
Here's the website for the real recipe, along with my tweeked instructions below. it's kinda involved but worth all the effort.

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/ju...cheesecake.html
Note that ALL THE ingredients are measured the same as the original EXCEPT for the Vital Wheat Gluten & cornstrach, which has been decreased.

First, I subsituted xylitol & splenda for the sugar, it doesn't need to be equal parts but a mixture of both, sift it together some. I get my xylitol at a local health food/low carb place in bulk. 5.99/lb. www.perfectsweet.com is a name brand but a tad more expensive.

It really makes the cheesecake taste better, the first time I made one, I used all Splenda, no one liked it so we tossed it out. So spend an extra $$ to make a really great one, it's worth every bite.

For the cheesecake base, I subsituted Vital Wheat gluten for the cake flour minus 2 Tbls, & added a scant 1 tsp of guar gum or another type of thickener for an airer texture. I was told not to use too much of this so I don't. lol

In the Cheesecake Cheese filling, I used 1 TBS of cornstarch instead of the recommended 1/4 cup. I also made a Pumpkin Cheesecake, which is really yummy. I blended 1/2 c to 1 cup of pure( I use Libbys) Pumpkin to the filling (depends on how pumkiny you like it) right before you add the Heavy Cream.

Hope you all enjoy this as much as I do. I shared mine with everyone not just us low carbers and no one notices much of a difference. The crust is a tad heavier but other than that??? Sorry, I never figured out the carb counts on this one, after all it has to be lower than the original and it's not an everyday treat, but something special! I have froze this and it still taste great!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 16:59
Registered Member

Lynne: I was wondering if I could use xylitol mixed with splenda for other receipes that call for straight spenda? I hated the cheesecake I had with just spenda, too. Gross!! I make great ice cream with xylitol and a couple of packs of splenda to thicken it. I haven't tried baking with it yet.

My friend did make a cheesecake with just xilitol and it caved in. She is a great cook but new to cooking low carb. Have you noticed that xilitol doesn't thicken or bind things together like spenda? I was wondering if that was why you did a combination of the two?

THanks for the info.

Have a great Holiday.

Sherrill
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 23:58

BF:
Progress:

I read an article somewhere that said it's better to combine two different "sugars" and that recipes taste better because of it, but of course the companies that sell the "sugar" won't let you in on that secret. I have noticed that almost all commercial bakeries have several different ones listed in the ingredients?? humm I would assume you could use the combo in other baked goodies but haven't tried any others yet. My cheesecake was nice and high. I'm not a real munchie person since going low carb, have lost most of my cravings for them (except the Russell Stover Peppermint Patties & Atkins mint wafer bars, yum) but I do love a good piece of cheesecake once in a while.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 14:35
Registered Member

Lynne: I just made a delicious pound cake last night and used xylitol and 3 packs of splenda. It turned out great and you would swear it was made with sugar. I use a recipe that called for almond flour and oat flour. It of course was called almond pound cake. A little high on carbs for me. 12 per slice. But good for the rest of the family to cut down on their sugar intake. Was super moist.

I will probably order the malitol cookbook. I love cooking with the xylitol since it taste so much better than splenda or equal.

I will get around to making a cheesecake. Can't believe how many recipes there are for it.

Bye,
Sherrill