Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 00:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/160/130
BF:
Progress:
Question What are ideal percentages of intake?

I was SOOOO discouraged and depressed tonite after coming home from work, this is only Day 5 I was ready to give up already. I've been really bunged up in the colon for all 5 days and the increased water hasn't helped -- yet

I got home and hubby had bought me some green apples, which always does the trick for him, and I ate one JUST BEFORE DINNER (I know, I know) before looking it up and realizing it had a whopping 21 grams of carbs. I couldn't believe I'd just blown my whole day's carb allowance on one stupid apple that didn't even work! Not to mention probably spiking my insulin right before a hamburger patty with cheese dinner!!

Needless to say, I felt like a total idiot because I basically knew better, but I checked into FitDay.com and did my whole day's intake, which is:

Calories: 1,626 (within my range)
Fat: 106 grams 60%
Carbs: 49 grams 11%
Protein: 119 grams 30 %

My long winded question is what are the IDEAL percentages of the fat, carbs and protein that I should be aiming for, given that I am supposedly in Induction and I promise the Carbo Gods I will not touch another one of the Forbidden Fruit.

FitDay was an eye opener too, in realizing that had I not even eaten the dreaded apple, I'm still 8 grams over what I'm allowed for Induction. I guess my discouragement comes from knowing I was consuming probably a good 200 grams of carbs just a week ago and realing that even 50 is NOT EVEN GOOD ENOUGH. I don't have ketostix or a scale, so other than my general feeling of well-being, I don't have anything tangible to go by yet.

Someone please enlighten me as to what breakdown of percentages I should be aiming for and maybe tell me I'm not a total lost cause, even at this early point in the game. (((Thank you)))
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 02:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Commitment 100%

There are no half-measures with Induction. Has to be 100% commitment for two weeks as u realise yourself.

However a mistake is not necessarily a tragedy. Be a professional ice-skater. Every time they fall it takes them one second to get up and continue skating as if nothing had happened.

As for your question about percentages, I have no idea. My understanding of Induction is don't even think about percentages or calories or fat content. Concentrate on keeping the carbs to 20g or less per day.

U r not a lost cause. stay with it. keep the carbs low and drink plenty. I use fresh green methi (looks a little like parsley, available from most Indian shops). A few branches sort out any colon problems quickly and form part of the LC greens.

Take care.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 08:32

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Dalou

Fiona is right.... one falter is not the end of the world. Get right back on that horse more committed than ever!

As for the constipation, I've found that psyllium husk works great. One or two tablespoons in a high protein shake (blend really well) usually does the trick. There are other methods, try typing 'constipation' into the search feature above and you'll find lots of information.

Percentages: I have found over the past 3 weeks that by keeping my carbs down to around 20 - 30 (I am on PP not Atkins) everyting else just works out (about 30 - 40% protein) and the rest fat. You may not be ingesting ENOUGH fat. Good fat like Olive oil or flax oil can help with regularity (at least I have found this to be true..... almost too much help at first )

Don't be discouraged!!
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 09:46

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

the percentages are difficult to estimate without knowing the calorie range you're aiming for, too--since the carbs stay the same in numbers, the percentages will shift, if you see what I'm saying. 30-10-60 for OWL is pretty typical. 25-5-70 would be fine for induction.

However, I second the notion of just keeping the carbs right and letting your appetite rule the rest of your intake. (Though stay under 200 g or so of protein to avoid excess insulin response to that.)

Hope you feel better soon!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 13:51
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

The others have given you good suggestions and advice .. hang in there, you can do this.

On the bound-up colon problem, click on "Low Carb Tips" from the menu bar at the top of the page .. Read the article Low-Carbing and Intestinal Health ..... you'll find lots of ideas to overcome this uncomfortable problem.

Hope you're feeling better soon,

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 14:33

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default hi dalou

hi dalou,
i understand how u feel ..and i've been there believe me!. I solved my problem with my colon trouble by taking fiber tablets which i purchased from an organic store. I went there just b/c i thought they'd have a variety of products, which are preservative, sugar, starch etc free.
my fiber tab is made out of psyllium husk, oat bran, and guar gum. i think i started 2 weeks ago, and i've not had a problem since. it is quite remarkable, and definitely recommend something along those lines. I also wanted them in tablet form, since i just find that more convenient than mixing powder which is hard to drink/swallow.
Also, Aloe Vera juice is good (although haven't tried it personally), one of my friends in college, her mother made a business of selling aloe vera products and she swore about what a miracle plant it was.
About the %ages, i'm not sure either, it's easier to try to stick to under 20g carbs. Don't worry if u mess up, take ur time, ur body needs time to adjust. Think of it as breaking an old habit and establishing a good one. Habits take time to break and make.
It might also help u if u plan ahead what u will eat and stick to that... think of it like a project, write down, plan, itemize, and stick to it U'll feel u're in better control.