Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 14:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/141/125
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Am I doing this right? I am not losing weight anymore...

I have been reading quite a few posts and have come to realize that everyone has different reactions when they include things like aspartame, Splenda, cheese, cream, and caffeine in their diet.

I lost 6 pounds in the first week of induction (I included cheese, cream cheese on celery, and Atkins Endulge bars in the plan, but NO caffeine or aspartame). Then two and a half more weeks passed by and I lost nothing more. So I decided, after reading lots of posts, that perhaps the cheese and the bars may be stalling my weight loss efforts. So I increased my water intake, started running again, and cut out the cheese and Atkins bars altogether.

I have gained 2 pounds back and haven't kicked them for over a week. What's happening with me? Water weight gain? Muscle mass?

Here is my typical diet:
B: 2-3 eggs either fried in 1 tbsp. butter with chopped turkey sausage or 3 eggs in an egg salad

L: 4-6 ounces of either fish or chicken (usually with mayonaise and veggies in a tuna sald or chicken salad style) along with one cup of steamed and buttered broccoli or another acceptable vegetable

D: 4-6 ounces of meat with two cups of salad (spinach and green leaf lettuce with raw broccoli and a few tbsps of raw bell pepper) and olive oil and lemon for dressing or a LC dressing I have that has 13 grams of fat per serving and 2 carbs

Drinking: 80-100+ ounces of water
Exercise: Running 4 miles or doing 40 minutes of cardio in the gym along with 20 minutes of weight training 3-4 days a week

Guys I really want this Atkins plan to work, but I am frustrated at the speed (or lack of speed I should say). Does anyone see problems with my diet?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer me!

Kim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 14:32

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

To me, your diet looks fantastic. I think you stated some of the possibilities of why it seems to "not be working." Here are those plus a couple of mine:
1) Gained muscle
If you have just begun exercising, or just begun getting an adequate amount of protein in your diet, it's quite possible to put on muscle mass. Especially with weight training. This is GOOD. Increasing your lean body mass will allow you to be smaller and will burn fat. Have you taken measurements? It's quite possible you're losing inches in lieu of pounds.

2) Water retention
You are drinking plenty of water, yes. But your muscles may still retain water with activity and it may be a cause of a seeming gain.

3) Stupid scale
I think scales are notoriously unreliable. They may be faulty, or they may show minor fluctuations in the body (water, food intake, etc.) as weight gain. Try not to take them too seriously.

4) Fat scares easily
I found that after an initial loss, the body likes to recoop for a week or two and holds on to some weight. It will see the light, trust me, if you just stick with it. This is not really a fast weight loss plan, though some do lose quickly. Take your time and adjust to the things you like about it. Do you feel better? Less cravings and need for sugar? Take those as cues that this is good for your body. It will catch up.

Have you tried FitDay? It may help to enter in your foods and see how much fat, protein, and carbs you're getting in what percentages. Most of us stick to approxiamately 60-65% fat, 5% carbs, and 30-35% protein.

Keep drinking water, eating right, exercising, and taking good vitamins and I assure you that you will succeed!

Hope that helps.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 14:39
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I think Angela is correct.

Also...
Quote:
Guys I really want this Atkins plan to work, but I am frustrated at the speed (or lack of speed I should say).

You really need to realize that this is not a fast weightloss plan. This is a way that people can eat healthy and to satisfaction whenever they are hungry and SLOWLY get to their goal weight.

The slowly gives us a chance to get really good at this so by the time we are in maintanence we finally keep the weight off. Your body loses in its own time.

Also, because you don't have much to lose you need to realize that it will be even slower for you.

Realistic expectations are to lose 10% of the weight you wish to lose during induction and then approx 5% each month after....

All the best to you.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 14:58
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Angela already mentioned this-but it has become my mantra:

MEASURE! I lose weight or inches-but not both at the same time. If you are exercising-you can GAIN weight and lose inches. I gained 2 pounds and lost a 1/2 inch in my thigh at the same time. The weight did come off and took some extra with it. It is just as important to measure as weighing when tracking your progress.

Do you notice any difference in how your clothes feel?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 15:24
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Just chiming in to agree with all the above... but also to remind you...don't stress about it.

This is an up and down deal often without explanation. My weight loss record looks like an EKG chart...as it is for most of us.

Stay the course, soon the body will release whatever its holding on to.

#6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 15:24
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kim, welcome!

Actually, contrary to popular opinion, Atkins is not a super fast weight loss diet. It is an eating plan for a healthier life.

I'd like to make 2 points here. One is that low carbing weight loss often comes in fits and spurts - or "whooshes."
You had an initial big loss (yes I know it doesn't seem huge, but believe me, it was substantial!), after which your body is just taking a little time to get used to the new regimen.
The other point is that we can all expect to lose 10% of the body weight we wish to lose during Induction, after which we can only expect to lose another 5 to 10% per month. You have already lost way more than that - so you are actually doing very well!

Basically, as you don't have a large amount of weight to lose, it may come off more slowly than you'd like. I know that may seem frustrating, but just hang in there and it WILL happen.

It's a pity IMHO that Dr A makes such a big deal about huge weight loss at first. The huge weight losses do happen - for people with large amounts to lose.

In short, Kim, hang in there, you're doing just fine!

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 15:55

Stats: 147/141/125
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default I will heed everyone's advice and hang in there

Thanks everyone for taking a look at what I am doing and giving such great pointers. My clothes are almost falling off of me (my size 10s)...so that is a wonderful thing. I think you are right when you say that I need to be more concerned with my measurements and less concerned with that cursed scale! I may stop weighing myself because I tend to get sooo frustrated when I see a slight inclrease. It may be muscle or water!

I will keep doing what I am doing and wait for the weight to come off slowly. I feel much better eating this way and my sugar cravings are in control for the first time in my life. Good things right? Energy is through the roof also!

God bless you all for your help and encouragement!

Kim
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 16:02

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Thatta girl. My size 10's just fell off me too. I'm in 8's now!

It's hard to stop bragging.

I'm doing a "hide the scale for March" challenge. You should join me. With all that exercise, I assure you that weight mean nothing! When I started working out in the end of January, I didn't lose a single pound in February. But did lose tons of inches and pocket cash for new pants.

Hang in there. You will definitely do well. You should start a journal so we can all celebrate your progress with you and you will have a place to jot down your LC and exercise journey. I love my journal.

Best to you!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 16:10

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Waaaaaahhhhhh! OK, Kim and Angela...we all weigh about the same and I'm still in MY 10s. I could probably get into 8s but they'd be pretty snug. I'm holding off until June (I'll have birthday money then) to buy any new clothes because I don't want to get something that will fit now but won't when I'm at my goal. Argh...this in-between size is NOT fun!

Tricia
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 12:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 197/197/145 Female 5.2
BF:
Progress: 0%

I too got discouraged the last week or so-didn't seem like anything was working. Finally, this morning 2 lbs gone-total 8.5 inches and 8.5 lbs in 5 weeks and TOM coming in a couple of days so, really can't complain-feeling great and lookin good. Keep up the good work and results will come!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 14:49
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Girls...you go right ahead and brag!!!

Cause when I get into those size 8's you're gonna hear me all the way from California!!

That's quite and accomplishment and quite a feeling!!

Whooo-hooo!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 17:35
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Scales suck. They can play havoc with your good spirits. I was bummed out because I came so close to my mini goal of 200 -- was at 200.5 and then in the last couple days I'm back up to 202.

I let this upset me -- even though I've lost 13 lbs in Induction (because I have a LOT to lose). Isn't that stupid. To give the scale enough power to make me feel crummy in spite of weight and inches lost.

Forget the scale. I'm going to rely a lot more on the pantometer and my measuring tape.

Plus I just feel so good and energetic. And my eating habits have improved so much I know my health is really benefitting.

Tricia - I had to laugh at you being upset because you're a 10 while the others who weigh about the same are 8s. The other day I noticed someone around my weight saying she was into a size 12 and I almost fell of my chair -- I'm happy to be comfy in my size 16's now.

Isn't it weird how people carry weight so differently. I look slimmer than my girlfriend even though she's 15 lbs heavier than me and 2 inches shorter. Go figure!

K.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 17:36
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Oy - meant to say - I look slimmer even though she's 20 lbs LIGHTER.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 17:52

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%
Default Scales Are for Fish

I bet scales were created by some demonic person who's plan was to create a form of self torture for those people on weightloss plans. Probably the same guy that invented LOW FAT DIETS . LOL

I refuse to climb on to the scale this time around on atkins. This being the second time I am attempting atkins, I am doing alot of things differently. The first time I did atkins I lost 5 pounds of the 20 I am trying to lose only to have gained 2 back within the month after induction. It was depressing. I should have measured. I can't believe I didn't go by my clothes size. Now I am just going to measure my success by the way my clothes feel, my energy levels and absence or presence of cravings. good luck to you all

Kim it looks like we both have just about the same weight to lose. Becasue its not much it will take longer for our bodies to release it. But because we both excercise we should see great results if we remain patient.

Piera
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 23:13
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 175/159/150
BF:32%
Progress: 64%

Assuming you are a woman I'll bet it could be because of that time of the month.

I do best if I don't let the calories go to low and I get lots of fat.