Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 18:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157.5/129 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Unhappy Anyone else a habitual "starter"?????

Okay, so I am pretty embarrassed to admit this, but I have "started" Atkins at least 12 times now in the past 6 months. Seriously. I am ashamed to say it, but it's true, and for some reason (tee hee hee) I felt the need to "confess" it here. Wondered if anyone else is in my boat.

I wanna get outa this boat! I stuck like glue to the program just before Thanksgiving, with wonderful results, but then the holidays and well, ummmmmm....... you get the idea.

I know that on one of the other websites I used to read, people were CONSTANTLY deriding other people for being lazy and weak. If someone feels the need to chastise me, I'm askin' ya not to do it. I know I've failed, but I really am starting this minute what will be my LAST time starting induction. I just wondered if anyone else was a repeater. By the way, I'm NOT lazy - I love exercise and work out like crazy. I also, however, am extremely addicted to sugar and sweets of all forms, and I think that I have finally figured out that, for me, low-carb sweet stuff is the same poison as regular sweets.

Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 18:23

Stats: 141/138/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

Not to worry, you are not alone. I am starting yet again for the umpteenth time. My dh is not an Atkins lover - he's one of those can-eat-anything-thin-for-life people, and he eats a balanced diet.

This last time i thought i was doing induction by eating the low-carb stuff, but was not - i rebelled and just started to eat the way hubby suggested - veggies, fruit, lean meats etc, watch portion sizes etc. I was doing this while still eating the lc foods and the scale was not moving at all. ( i been exercising too so i know this is the muscle thing)

Now I am three days into induction, and hope I will keep this up. NO LC PRODUCTS AT ALL! Husband gives me a hard time - just reacts incredulously when I refuse an apple, but will eat three eggs and 3 sausage links!

I may have continued with hubby's suggestion, but as much as I know that i should not - i am transfixed by the scale - even when clothes are fitting looser!!!! AAARGH!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 18:23

Plan: Sugar Busters/Atkin's
Stats: 306/235/185 Female 5'6
BF:no clue
Progress: 59%

Well, let me see... I "started" this way of eating in August of 2000. So what does that say? LOL BUT, on the flip side, I refuse to beat myself up because once upon a time I weighed a LOT more!!!!! When I get nutty and blow it, I just say "ooops, I must be human" and get right back on.
Just give yourself a hug and focus on your success.
*hugs* Wen

Last edited by LadyWendy : Mon, Feb-16-04 at 18:25.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 18:59

Stats: 165/157.5/129 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thnaks, LadyWendy and Cyndee. My husband is low-carbing and has been for 2 years with me, but he can add many more carbs than I can without gaining weight or anything, even though I am way more active! Then again, he has not battled a sugar addiction for the past 15 years.... Seriously, I just have to think of it that way. My latest deviation from the lc wagon came after a run-in with some low carb candy. One piece, and I was off on a sweet binge. When I stuck to this so well back before Thanksgiving, I did a super clean induction - not even any sweet veggies like peppers (sigh - which I love) but it worked! I remember thinking, "Wow. There are tons of candy all around me at work, and I don't want any of it!" I need to get to that place again.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 19:13

Plan: Sugar Busters/Atkin's
Stats: 306/235/185 Female 5'6
BF:no clue
Progress: 59%

You WILL get there, Girlfriend! If you got there before, you can get there again!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 21:37

Plan: My own
Stats: 155/152.5/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi,
You need to hang in there! I notice our stats are similar. I am just starting induction today! I have been low carbing off and on for a few years and know it works. I just get going and then get derailed by my active social life! No excuses though. I have dieted and been obsessed with food and fitness most of my adult life. It is hard work!

So anyway, this needs to be a lifestyle and not a diet. You are never "done" and never can "finish" and go back to your old ways. I think once you get to your happy weight you can have a cheat day now and then but it is a lifetime battle and that is just the way it is. So just give yourself another chance and keep plugging away. I am bound and determined to lose 10 pounds in the next 6 weeks and really need to take this seriously and not mess up. If you want to do it with me let me know! I think you should start a journal here and let people pop in and offer ideas, tips and just help motivate you!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 21:47

Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

I am like you! before christmas i was so good only ate the good food no LC candy of anything then the holidays hit and since then i have been on and off a few times but i just get up brush myself off and start over.

matter of fact i had a fall today i ate a chocolate chip scone.
so tomorrow i start over. i am going to go with out the LC chcolate which will be good cause all it does is give me horrible gas.

so you are not alone and noone (i hope) will judge you here. this is a great forum everyone is very nice and helpful.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 08:12
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

Don't worry too much about failing a few times. Just let your failure teach you what you need to know about yourself. I have been low-carbing for almost four years, and I still haven't broken my sugar addiction. Maybe in this age it cannot be cured, only controlled. I am the worst kind of addict. If I take one bite of sugar, it controls me totally for at least a day--sometimes much longer. Sometimes I even fear that I am kiiling myself with sugar, but I always regain control. These bouts have become less and less frequent, as I learn what triggers them.
Definately, I think sugar-free candy (especially chocolate) can help trigger this deadly behavior. The best thing to do is when you feel that aching for something sweet, just indulge in some nice, fatty meat or some coffee with a ton of real cream in it.
I really believe the key to lowcarbing is to absolutely never try to restrict calories or fat (especially saturated fat)!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 08:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Candy cravings that are so bad are a sign your metabolism is very sensitive, I think. It sounds like anything sweet will dump insulin into your system, and that really starts the craving cycle.
Since this behavior is a centerpiece of the CAD philosophy, you might want to read their book (Carbohydrate Addict's Diet.)
But be cautious. Some people love their plan, some say it just feeds their cravings and makes it worse.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 08:18
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Breaking a sugar addiction is not easy, but I have no doubt that you can do it. It's just a matter of sucking it up and toughing out the first few weeks, and being careful after that. Ask yourself when you're tempted to cheat: What would I rather have, a piece of chocolate cake or a little butt that fits into skinny jeans?

Also, it might help you to know that you're seriously screwing with your metabolism by jumping on and off of this diet. A person would be better off never starting Atkins if they're going to keep going back to high-carb. The combination of high fat (Atkins) and high-carb is terrible, and this diet can get tougher each time you restart.

Good luck! We're rooting for you.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 16:12

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I really understand. I did great from August last year until Dec. Then I fell off the wagon for about 2 weeks. Ever since then its been a struggle to really start losing steadily. Not to mention my hubby had a hospital scare which totally stressed me out for a few weeks, so I lost 4 lbs. and gained them back within 2 weeks. I do also have the tremendous sugar cravings. I think after I finish the small (ha ha) basket of russell stover sugar free candies (or maybe before, Im working it out in my mind as we speak), Im going to stop buying them and just have something like cream cheese with a little splenda, or some ricotta, something other than candy. I think they definitely make a difference in the cravings.