Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 13:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/170/160
BF:?
Progress: 44%
Default Question for the ladies

Hello, I'm on my third week of induction, and I'm supposed to getting my 'moon cycle' this week. However, I don't feel bloated or quite as ravenous as I usually do. I almost feel like it's going to be late or something.

Did you gals experience any major changes in your menstrual cycle when you started Atkins?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 13:26

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%
Default Cosmic...

Hheheheheh... I love the term "moon cycle."

Okay, I can't answer personally because I'm on regulatory medication (code: birth control) but I have heard talk that TOM (time of the month) can be delayed by any number of changes, and any change in diet can affect it.

Or maybe your PMS symptoms are going away!

Either way, it's probably not anything to worry about.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 13:42

Stats: 145/128.5/125
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default It depends

Since I have only been on this WOE for a month, I can't really speak with authority, but my last "moon cycle" was much longer than usual, and I feel it may be because of the WOE.
Plus, many women have reported changes in their cycle due to this WOE (more crampy, less crampy, longer, shorter, less symptoms, etc).
The way you eat can definitely affect your body's cycles, so it is quick likely that any changes you experience are due to LCing. Unless they are very bad changes (bad cramps, etc.) it shouldn't be a problem. Just go with the flow (sorry bad joke heh).
-Angie
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 14:03

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I've had two cycles since starting this WOE. The first one was a few days late but otherwise normal. This past one, I had very light spotting for three days...then one heavy day...then back to spotting...then it was over. Very weird. I'm not concerned about it at all but I'd definately say it's because of the changes in my diet since I'm usually as regular as clockwork.

Tricia
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 14:04

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

I think the consensus aboutthis seems to be that when you first start LCIng your cycle will change, and take a few months to settle into a pattern.

Some (I think the majority) find they have less PMS, less bloating and less cramp.

Others find changes such as late/early or longer/shorter heavier/lighter.

I guess all you can be sure of is that for a few months things may get a bit crazy.

Lesley
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 18:23
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Here's the big thread all about it.

Ladies Please Read

Beth
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 19:02

Plan: Atkins/Heller's Diabetes
Stats: 202/185/160
BF:
Progress: 40%

I found with mine...It seemed to get heavier as I have prgressed. I am not too worried about it...at least the cramps went away
But anyways I don't think it should be too much to worry about...but if it is a constant thing then maybe you sahould get it checked out in the future

Short_stuff
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 19:12

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

Mine was dramatically different, I've been on the pill for 12 years and the last few years or so when I've finished my last hormone pill it took up to 5 days for my actual period to kick in...... it was getting a little concerning that I was having TOM for 1 day before going back on the pill, this time I got it (FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 6 YEARS!!!!!) 2 days after the pill, and there was no PMT/PMS no severe bloating, no headaches ... I put on a little weight around the tummy but no bloated ankles and wrists which is where I usually got it....

This was only my first TOM on this WOL so I hope this is indicitive of what the rest of them will be like

Fiona