Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/Protein Power
Stats: 142/136.2/120?
BF:27%/26%/14%
Progress: 17%
Default A Note for WOMEN doing TKD

Ladies,

I just wanted to mention that I've been doing a TKD for a couple weeks now, combined with BFL. The general recommendations on this board, and by Lyle McDonald are for 25-50g of carbs pre-workout, but I encourage you, especially if you are relatively small, to experiment with this. I find that I only need around 15g of carbs for a BFL-style workout. I do run out of steam towards the end, but I get back into Ketosis practically by the time I get home from the gym. When I tried 25g of carbs I didn't get into Ketosis all day. (I also drink a Protein shake with 20g protein, 4g carbs after my workout). I know Lisa's doing well with 25g. The point is, make sure you experiment with what works for you, don't automatically assume what the boys do will work for you. Just my 2cents!

Sabrina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 06:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

thank!im thinkin of tryin to start TKD next week after i read the book. just wanna ask: what are approximately foods that have 15gm of carbs on them??? are soyfoods(liek soybean curd) qualified on this?????
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 16:02
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/Protein Power
Stats: 142/136.2/120?
BF:27%/26%/14%
Progress: 17%

No- soybeans have protein and fat in them, and for the purpose of a pre-workout carb up you want just straight, hyglycemic carbs. Protein and fat both slow the absorbtion of carbs, which is bad if you want to burn them all right away. I eat a "fun pack" (halloween size) of sweet tarts. It's kind of disgusting first thing in the morning, but the good thing about it is they sit on the counter all day and I have NO desire to eat them when I'm not supposed to. If I ate bagels or some other kind of candy it might be tempting. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 14:21
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Ok , so if the TKD cu 'snack' must be low fat, does that mean no coffee w/ cream? I was kind of combining my bit of carbs with my morning coffee but since I have mine with cream perhaps I should reconsider....?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 20:27
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/BFL
Stats: 133/117/115
BF:30/17/14
Progress: 89%

I asked Lyle about the CU before cardio since I have been doing a CU before spinning class. He recommended a small CU before high intensity cardio.

IMO you could assume that how fast you get back into ketosis would tell you how much of a CU you need.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 02:10

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%
Default Breakfast before cardio/WO! And... licorice!

I have made some interesting discoveries..

The thing about not eating prior to cardio doesn't work if you do the cardio not right after getting dressed and out of bed.. and certainly not if your cardio is then too long.. Both applied to me as I often was up and about 1 hr before leaving for the gym by bicycle. That journey mostly takes between 35 and 45 mins.. more like 45 when I don't eat..
I would then take breakfast (a whey drink with maltodextrin) over there but it would take hrs before I'd feel better again.

Considering that, I have resumed taking a decent breakfast again.. the effect was miraculous. EVEN when I didn't do any carb up, I could ride MUCH faster.

Because of this, I thought to not add extra carbs to the whey drink, but to eat the sugary stuff separately..
I am not much of a candy lover anymore, but I still like licorice..and then the more salty kind..
Licorice has the added benefit of containing salts that you lose during a strenuous workout and the even more strenuous spinning lessons..

As I have a problem regarding portion control with licorice.. I will make mini-bags of them... about 20 grams in each bag I think..

What do you think?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 20:04

Plan: Ketovore
Stats: 203/173/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Lisa... what is a spinning class? Just wondering.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 23:47

Spinning which I do 3x /week now as well is an intensive cardio workout of 45 mins each (at least here it is) with about 35-40 mins of effective cycling.
A group of people sit on stationary bicycles with a heavy flywheel that provides no resistance at all till a huge amt of resistance depending on the type of exercise..
An instructor sits in front of the class and tells people what to do and shows them how...
E.g. you sit down and turn pedals as fast as possible with no resistance. Or you stand up and pedal with very high resistance, or which is a killer for the hamstrings you alternatively sit down and stand up, alternating this every 1 second or so...
Mostly resistance is very high when standing up.. but at times resistance is low and you are told to try to spin as fast as possible while standing up..

Most beginners are completely exhausted by the end of the lesson, but if you're an experienced cyclist, you'll be recovered soon.. I just went from 2x/week to 3x this week (Mon-Wed-Sat).. am slightly addicted ;-). Will join the spinning marathon again , just like last year (4 lessons in a row: 3 hrs total).

Part of the lesson is very loud blearing music... it used to be awful, but now it's a bit better..
Other part is pre- & post-ride stretching which takes about 5-8 mins of the total lesson of 45 mins..
Some people don't break a sweat, others create small swimming pools below their bikes.. you're supposed to cover the bars with a towel . And I drink, drink, and drink.. mostly about 1,5 L in each lesson..
Caveat: when I don't add extra mineral salts, like eg Mg/Ca I get cramps later... which I tend to forget taking along a couple of times.. hence my plans to carb up on (nearly always quite salty) licorice.

It all started in the USA, but is now also (finally) quite popular in the Netherlands where I live...
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 23:52

Plan: Ketovore
Stats: 203/173/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 44%

WOW!!!! Thanks for explaining that... NOW I understand what you are talking about... WOW... LOL
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 09:29
empress of fashion

BF:

I've read a couple of your posts where you refer to salty licorice. Is this different from the licorice in the US? I'm not a big licorice eater but I don't recall it ever being salty.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 10:38

Quote:
Originally posted by Iowagirl
I've read a couple of your posts where you refer to salty licorice. Is this different from the licorice in the US? I'm not a big licorice eater but I don't recall it ever being salty.

Well, licorice in the USA is sickly sweet. There is some natural licorice that tastes just like some of our best ones..still sweet though.
The Dutch are probably on the face of earth the people who are most addicted to licorice.. I can buy about 50-75 different varieties of them and actually when I look at them in the candy shop I know almost exactly how each and every different variety tastes like.. . [edit: make that 100 varieties ]
You can keep your chocolate, licorice is my trigger food!
The beauty is, that some licorice has 6 g of protein per 100 g of product, but is quite good as a carb up food (nearly 80 g of carbs/100 g) especially when you're losing salts during workouts.. but I'd rather not eat more than 50 g in 1 sitting or it'd be too salty.. even the very sweet types have a bit of salt..

I think only the Danish are known for their fondness of licorice and we imported a few of their varieties..
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 10:50
empress of fashion

BF:

Interesting! Does it look the same as our's?
You're right, the licorice here is very sweet, maybe that's why I don't really care for it. Especially the black stuff!

My trigger food is sitting right in front of me...cashews. Well, they were there a minute ago, apparently I've eaten them all.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 10:56

Quote:
Originally posted by Iowagirl
Interesting! Does it look the same as our's?
You're right, the licorice here is very sweet, maybe that's why I don't really care for it. Especially the black stuff!

My trigger food is sitting right in front of me...cashews. Well, they were there a minute ago, apparently I've eaten them all.

Well there are about as many shapes as varieties.. sometimes that's the only difference, but I can tell them apart quite well.
A bit like how Eskimo's (Inuit) have 50 names for snow..

I remember 2 kinds of licorice in the USA..one natural organic which was really very good tasting stuff and candy what is supposedly licorice.. at least that's what they say.. but I have some doubts.. perhaps 1% is and the rest is just plain sugar?
The most expensive licorice has most of the real licorice root inside..
At least cashews are fairly low-carb, licorice isn't!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 11:04
empress of fashion

BF:

This is true.
I'm not sure our licorice has any bit of licorice root in it, I think it IS just straight sugar. I have never heard of the natural organic stuff but I will be sure and pick some up if I ever come across it. Now I am curious to know what the stuff is supposed to taste like! All these years - consuming fake licorice and I didn't even know it.

I suppose they sell 10 foot high Snickers bars with double the chocolate over there, too?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 11:17

no.. the Snickers are the same..

Licorice root is a twig actually.. it is a sweet tasting twig. I used to buy it as a kid, but now you hardly see it anymore.. will check it out..
I don't know if you know chew tobacco, but it has some similarities to that.. not the taste of course, but what you do with it.. masticate!

Fietser