Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 00:30

Plan: ketogenics
Stats: 89/84/68
BF:40% 40% 20%
Progress: 24%
Default I've tried Nushape....read on

Hi everyone

As promised I was the guinea pig that tried Nushape. I paid $115 dollars and got food for 5 days of complete eating. Let me firstly say that I don't think they will do too well if people have not educated themselves about low carbing first. Their recommended carb intake is 55 grams. Heaps for us. Maybe some lucky OWL people can have this much but not the rest of us. This carb count is however added up including the piece of fruit every day as well as a glass of milk with your shake. I did a bit of adding up and realised that if you only stuck to the main meals then you could end up with about 15-20 carbs, which is fine. That is if you leave out the veggies that they pack seperatly with every meal.

I noticed a few strange things about this plan. The first was that they started people off on this high number and the only difference between the first two weeks and the remainder of the program is that in the first two weeks you have shakes for breakfast (which are really nice and has added fibre and herbs). Of course I took out the milk and added some cream and mixed with water. I think it would be hard to get good results starting people off still allowing them fruit (oranges, pears, apples etc) and not weaning them off carb cravings by including cookies and muffins. The vegie pack also some corn in it, a big no no.

The second was that it is a low fat program. Which is not what Atkins recommends and if reading this forum tells me anything, those with a high fat intake seem to do better. They don't say that they are Atkins thoough which is something. However I did email the company to get some info like what sweetners they used and the amount of carbs in a day and they told me that 20g was very low and only used in the first 2 weeks of Atkins which is true but at the same time misleading.

They never got back to me about the sweetners and I know why when I tasted their cake. The cake and biscuit was disgusting, I spat both of them out. They were really sweet and fake tasting with that awful asparteme after taste. YUK. The muffin was really nice though. The portions for snacks are a bit of joke. One piece of low carb bread was about the size of a floppy disk, no wonder it was low in carbs. They had really nice Aussie made protein bars though which I am considering ordering on their own which you can do.

I've been rattling on for way too long here, to sum it up. I think that I will buy the meals again by them selves which you can do for around $45 I think It was that's for 14 main meals. I often am too tired to feel like cooking much or think about lunch in the morining. The rest of it was not worth it. So there you have it.

Nadia.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 01:30

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

hehe Nadia,
sounds like you had a lot of fun,, i am an aussie ,thought i would say hi, i have been on atkins for 2 weeks lost 3 kilo so far, i am just getting into all this low carb stuff always been told it was low fat,,, trying to get my head round it all.

well wish you all the best, any tips, ideas, low carb snacks, well please CONTACT me,,lol
all the best
Rachael (jordy05)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 21:26

Hi Jordy,
thank you for reading my post. I love it when people respond. I'm not much of an expert so I can't give you too much advice apart from keep up the good work. Just think if we can stick to this then we will be gorgeous by summer. YE HA

Nadia
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 23:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 68/?/60 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress:

hey nadia,

how does the food taste? I guess it'll be easier for you when you get home tired from work.

the frozen dinners idea sounds good, that way if you can't be bothered cooking you'll have stuff ready rather than have an urge to cheat.

are they available all over OZ? I'll check their website, not that I can afford anything at the moment! I want to find a yummy thick shake mix.

I also read another LC forum, oz based, and they've been wondering about nushape, do you mind if I tell them your findings?

enjoy your weekend lovely,
cathie
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 06:09

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

hi Nadia,
I was actually thinking i am already gorgeous,,, personality anyway,, just waiting for my body to catch up,,lol

keep in touch,,, i got a tip for you,,,, no bread burittos,,,,, fry ya mince like you like it,,,,( adding tomatos,, onions,,chillis,,spices,, whatever)
hand ya family the buritto bread and grab ya self a big lettuce leaf,,,,,,,, place your mince,,,tomato slices,,cheese,, salsa (whatever else you like in burittos) in the lettuce leaf ,,roll it up and enjoy!!!! or use the lettuce as cups and fill them with the mince and salsa and stuff,,,,,YUM...

i also use lettuce as my bread in sandwiches,,, egg and lettuce ,,,, tuna and salad ,,, you name it,,,add it,,, and roll it (the softer leaves on the lettuce are best)

so thats my good dead for the day,,,got anymore for me? tell me how you go with the burittos!!!

best wishes
Rachael
(jordy05)
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 00:50

Hi again

Of course not Cathi, share my findings with anyone you like. The dinners are yummy, they have heaps of variety. the flavourings are quiet subtle. I had a chicken curry which was nice but very mild. I usually like to try and blow my head off. Raife had the sate beef which was also yummy but very mild in flavour and heat.

Nadia
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 02:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 68/?/60 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress:

cheers darlin! tell raife to get his 'own' yummy food