Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 11:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/167/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Smile Introducing myself

Hi,
I am new to this forum, but not new to low carb dieting. I believe in it totally not only because I (usually) lose on it, I never gain weight on it, and it makes perfect sense.
The first time I lost weight on this was in 1965 when I read "Calories Don't Count". My mother thought it was too expense, I was 13, so I did not try it again until I was 26. Lost again but I didn't really have much weight concern then so I dropped it. After menopause I desperately needed to lose. I got up to 193 pounds. I then in 1999 lost 40 pounds quickly and then let the diet slip this summer. I regained 14 pounds. I thought it would be easy to lose it again once I committed myself to the 3 days of getting into ketosis and losing the craving for carbs. I did go into ketosis and the diet was easy, but now for why I am joining your group.... I have not lost a single pound in 7 weeks of being in ketosis!! I do not understand this. I have started on caprylic acid, garlic and acidophilus thinking it may be candidia yeast. What do you think?
Sorry for the long introduction.
Helen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 14:15
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Helen,

Welcome to the forum!

How about posting some of your regular menus here so we can perhaps see if there are any suggestions we can make to help you?

Do you use Fitday? In case you don't, www.fitday.com is a free site where you can find out just how many carbs etc you are getting from your food.

Also, have you measured yourself? Often people find at first that they lose no pounds, but the inches are shrinking.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 14:18
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Welcome Helen. Like Rose said, Fitday is an excellent way to know EXACTLY what you are putting into your body.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 15:15

Plan: LC
Stats: 189/151/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 70%

whoa Helen, sounds like you shouldn't be havin a problem! You seem to know all the stuff you need to know!!

Maybe your body is tired of fighting you and just put itself into a metabolically resistant state? I guess it is possible. I don't have nearly the knowledge that you do, but I know that on occasion when I am not getting anywhere, I have to change my routine. Try changing up the foods you eat or the exercises you do. Give yourself a cheat day now and then, to kick your body into gear. I have had two instances where my cheat day caused my body to flush a few lbs. Dont forget to drink a lot of water as well.

Dont know how much help that will be, but good luck!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 21:03
Registered Member

Stats: 193/167/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for all the responses! I did go to fitday and started it today. I have been wanting a free database of foods like that. I put mine in and noticed they do not subtract fiber out of carb count. I have been doing that. My carbs were 34 or so and I customized to reduce fiber and they are at 25. Even if I am undercalculating carbs the fact is my stick is still purple and has been for weeks. I have not measured. (I will now) but my pants are still very tight! I need to get into my winter pants. I do not want to buy new ones.
Thanks so much for the support and I will keep on the diet cause I know if I don't I will gain. Maybe one of these days it will suddenly start coming off. I'm hoping.
The food entries will help alot and I will see if I'm really keeping the carbs low enough.