Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 197/191/140 Male 5 feet, 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question muscle gain while weight training

I am reading at lot of places that while on Atkins it is very hard to gain muscle while weight training.
Have any of you expereinced this or is this just another one of those myths.
thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I can definately see more muscle definition in my arms and legs. I don't know how much of it was there hiding under the fat that is now gone and how much of it is new...but I certainly *feel* stronger, so I attribute that to new muscle growth.

Tricia
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 11:16

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default ..

I am lifting weights for two and a half years and on Atkins induction for a month (19lb btw), and I noticed a couple of changes: It is a bit harder to dy workout without the shot of carbs (energy drink) in the middle. (I do 45min of lifting and 35 of cardio). and second, my muscles feel not as hard as they were, but they are just as big, and are much more defind (18 lb of fat gone)...

It is hard to say if I gained or lost muscles as I was (ans still is) too fat to see the muscles well enough to make a judgment. One thing is for sure, I am progressing in the weights I am lifting and can lift as before the diet and in some cases (chest, back) I am lifting more. For the first time in my life I can pull my self up for 3-4 reps... again 18 lb lighter..
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 21:22

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

Hi ya!

For Atkins induction on only 20g of carbs it will be hard to keep up an intense weight routine for very long... your body needs the carbs for energy in the gym.. it cant be fueled for weight training on the fat it is burning... Many people in this forum are doing exercise routines such as BFL (Body for Life) on a Low Carb eating plan.. but they are eating anywhere between 40 and up grams of carbs per day.. depending on the person and the intensity of the workout.

To understand more about the effect of carbs, carbing up, ketogenic diets.. etc.. check out this link...CKD 101

the CKD plan explains some of what you are wondering about.. I am not saying this is a plan you should try necessarily, but more just suggesting it as a reading resource for you to understand what muscles actually need for growth and performance in the gym.

hope this helps someone out there!!
j

Last edited by deze : Sun, Jun-01-03 at 21:23.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 22:37
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 197/191/140 Male 5 feet, 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi Deze,
thanks for your response and the link.
CKD is something that I wont be able to do since I am tyep 2 diabetic and can't afford to load up on the carbs over the weekend. But I am looking into TKD that seems very interesting.
thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 06:06

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I haven't had any trouble with it. I've definately got muscle definition...even in my abs...but they are just under a layer of fat...lol. I can *definately* tell the difference in my arms and when I got measured yesterday, my calfs have gone up 1/4 inch...lol...and that is definately muscle.

I hear a lot of people say its hard to work out with 20 or fewer carbs, but I haven't had any trouble. I've been going strong working out 5-6 times a week doing strength training, cardio and swimming for a little over three months now and so far so good.

L
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 06:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The only time I had trouble working out was when I tried the fat fast for two days. I learned my lesson, felt awful. On less then 20 g I get plenty of energy from protien and snacking, and by drinking a ton of water I don't have the leg cramp problem.

I do water arobics, weight lifting, yoga and want to start pilates (yes that sounds like alot, but I don't do them all on same day, and sometimes I forget to exercise for a day or two. Variation keeps things interesting.)
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 09:32

Plan: SBD
Stats: 209/173/150 Female 5'7"
BF:40.9%/33.5%/23%
Progress: 61%
Cool My plan

I've been doing this WOE since March 1st. I weight lift (free weights and circut) 2-3 days a week (breaks inbetween), and walk 2.5 miles a day with Sunday's off. I keep my carbs betweein 20 and 25. I usually do not eat before I work out but stay well hydrated. I've noticed definate muscle definition in my legs, and arms that I never noticed/had before. I'm still losing weight at the recommended 2pds per week on average and losing inches. I work out first thing in the morning then eat. I don't have any health problems so this has been working well for me. I've just increased my weight lifting sets to 3 so I'm going to see how it works out, I may have to have something to eat to get through the session. I'm enjoying this routine, it's the most active I've ever been.

Last edited by Bebet : Mon, Jun-02-03 at 11:10.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:03

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

You are eating protein and...protein helps build protein! I have lost 6.5 pounds and gained one pound of lean muscle. almost five of the pounds I have lost was fat. Another was water (according to my BMI test).

~Shelly
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:06

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

........very much MYTHS........
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:15

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:

I forgot to add...(do you think old age here) :-) that....Im very much full of them (muscles)....but there is a BAD part to it, and that's my skin is hanging empty on them (how shall I say) - not looking full...and I dont like it much?...Oh well.....
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/172/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 48%

I do Curves - and today was weigh and measure day - I've lost 4 lbs this month - but 7 lbs was fat! - so I must have gained 3 lbs of muscle!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:51
Registered Member

Stats: 230/190/115
BF:39%/33%/15%
Progress: 35%

I definitely have gained muscle and lost fat. When I first started this WOL I was at 40.5% on the BMI. I am now down 40 pounds since starting this WOL and my BMI is 33.8%.

I don't experience any dips in energy or anything. Actually, the harder I work out, the more energy I have.

I do have a protein shake before going to the gym. It has 50 grams of protein so I beleive this has a lot to do with it.

BTW, I do cardio and weight training 6 days a week. Sunday is a free for all day, where me and hubby go for walk, play basketball, go swimming -- we just go do soemthing FUN!!!! It is the relax and take it easy day..........
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:04

Stats: 190/173/135
BF:
Progress: 31%
Wink Muscle gain during Atkins

Hey there
I don't believe that is true because to build muscle you have to take in protein. And when you are on Atkins that goes up for a lot of people. Carbs are a good source of energy but if you are finding you aren't gaining muscle go get protein shakes or bars. Just remember it takes the average man one year to put on about 8 to 12 pounds of muscle and a women it is 6 to 9 pounds. If you have good genetics you might put on a little more but naturaly that is about what you can put on in a year. Also remember that if you are a little over weight you will not be able to see the muscle that much for a while, the more you trim down the more you will see. It is like loosing weight don't expect the results over night.

My trainer also competes in body building and 6 weeks before competition he cuts out all carbs and he gains a lot of muscle during the period of time but you can also see it more because his fat percerntage is very low.

Speak to someone in a nutrition house and they will recommend which protein is best for you.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/165/165 Male 72
BF:some

I've been weight training and been on induction for 2 1/2 months now and I can tell a huge difference and so can the g/f