Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 15:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/135/120 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:
Default Severe Pain

hi

im new for about the past week or so i have been having these severe stabbing pains in my upper right side of my abdomen near my shoulder blade. they raidate towards my ribcage, it gets worse after meals and i feel nautious. Does anyone know what this could be?

Maria
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 15:45
Registered Member

Stats: 245/245/235 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 0%

sorry but no i do hope though you your pain will go away
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 15:46
Registered Member

Stats: 245/245/235 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 0%

that your pain will go away
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 15:53

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Maria, please see your doctor for an evaluation. 'Severe, stabbing pain' should not be ignored or diagnosed over the internet. It may be your gallbladder, but it is best to have your doctor check it out so you know for sure what it is and not what several strangers guess it might be.
If the pain is really severe and you are nauseated and/or vomiting, go directly to the nearest emergency department.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 22:03

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I agree with Lisa. Sounds like a medical analysis is needed.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 22:29

Plan: atkins/warrior
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

yes, definitely see your doctor. a friend of mine had some unusual pains that turned out to be related to her diet. unfortunately i do not have any details about where exactly the pain was, but it turns out she couldn't do atkins because of a protein problem. she was having trouble metabolizing it , i think, and the low carb wasn't for her. I do hope everything is ok, and nothing serious, but please get it checked.
becky
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 02:57

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

gallbladder & problem with metabolizing fats? see a doc.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 13:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Yes, gallbladder. I used to have that problem until I had it removed. I feel great now.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 15:34

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:

I'm thinking gallbladder as well. DH had the same thing and apparently it's more unusual to have the pain present itself in the upper back like your so it took 5 trips to the emergency room to figure it out. The surgeon said by the time he got to it, his gallbladder REALLY looked bad. Hopefully it's NOT your gallbladder (not trying to freak you out!) But I agree, any pain that severe should be taken seriously. Please schedule an appointment with you doc or go to the nearest emergency room if it gets really bad.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 07:57

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

You could be having trouble dealing with the fat content of your diet.

I suggest you try backing off and see if it helps.

I'm not telling you not to go to the doctor, but since you just started this diet and the pain just started too, logic dictates you are having a problem with the diet. Some people do.

I don't run to the doctor for every pain. I stay in so much pain all the time, that I just can't do it. Sometimes, you just have to use common sense.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 11:56
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 280/165/165 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 100%

Definitely sounds like your gallbladder but DO NOT have it removed unless it is about to rupture. You need your gallbladder. It serves an extremely important function that just isn't as well accomplished without it.

Your liver produces bile. Your gallbladder stores it. If you remove the gallbladder you are left with a PERMANENT disability. Your liver cannot on its own produce and excrete enough bile to properly digest the fats and proteins when you eat them. If you have your gallbladder removed, and this goes for anyone who has had it removed, then you need to take bile salts every meal for the rest of your life to properly digest and breakdown fats and proteins.

Deficiencies in this area do not happen overnight but they set up a ton of health problems long term. In my office I've noticed a strong correlation between those that hve had their gallbladder removed and Fibromyalgia.

Go to a Naturopath or nutrtionally oriented Chiropractor after ruling out a life-threatening situation for nutritional support to heal and keep that gallbladder.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 12:38

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

KajunDC, I have to disagree with you again.

There are plenty of people, including my Dad, who have had their gallbladder removed and have never had any problems at all with digesting fat and protein and never took anything for it.

It sounds as though you are reading a text book. I know that is what it says, but experience says something different. If you check through the boards here, you will find many people doing just fine without their GB.

Also be aware that any time you change you diet dramatically and suddenly, sometimes your body has to catch up and get used to it. Your body can make most adjustments very quickly, but when you have been eating low fat as a lot here have tried most of their lives, then switch over to the Atkins regimen suddenly, your gonna' have a problem sometimes. Your gallbladder got used to not putting out much bile, because you were eating low fat and lower calories. No reason to. Now it has to digest all this fat and protein suddenly and it is sputtering.

Another thing to make sure of, Maria, is that you are getting enough food. I've found when I first start Atkins and that if my GB is bothering me, and then I eat high fat but a small amount, it gets worse because it's pouring all this bile out to digest foods that aren't there.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 13:38

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KajunDC
If you have your gallbladder removed, and this goes for anyone who has had it removed, then you need to take bile salts every meal for the rest of your life to properly digest and breakdown fats and proteins.

My DH has been without his for nearly 3 years and he's 100% fine. No one said anything to him about bile salts.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 15:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspine17
My DH has been without his for nearly 3 years and he's 100% fine. No one said anything to him about bile salts.

Ditto here. I've been without a gallbladder for 11 years and no problems whatsoever. Incidentally, I had to have mine removed after a prolonged period of very low fat dieting and it was loaded with stones.
The liver manufactures the bile and the gallbladder stores it until needed. When the gallbladder is removed, the bile produced by the liver drains directly into the intestines all the time at a slow trickle. For some, this causes a problem with diarrhea and anal irritation but the majority (90%) don't have any particular problems afterwards and never really notice any difference.
Some people find that certain foods pose a problem digestively after having their gallbladders removed (my problem foods are raw peppers and popcorn which cause me a lot of gas). Easily solved...avoid those foods or be willing to pay the price for eating them (or inflict that price on all those around you ). Before I had my gallbladder removed, I'd heard all the stories about how people who have that procedure can never eat certain foods again. When I asked my surgeon about it, he simply shrugged and said, "If it bothers you, don't eat it. Otherwise, eat whatever you please. There is no 'list' of foods to avoid since if varies widely from person to person and some people don't have any problems at all."
I did have one interesting side effect that my surgeon said he'd never seen before. When I went back 6 weeks after the procedure for my post-surgical checkup, I was pregnant with my oldest daughter...near as we can figure, I got pregnant about 10 days to 2 weeks after surgery.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 18:41
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 280/165/165 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 100%

Folks, folks...

You can have clogging arteries for years and decades before the symptoms of the problems appear.

You NEED your gallbladder... period. If you do not have it, you are not properly digesting fats and proteins. Now you may not be feeling any pain, YET, but you are not digesting them properly and your health is suffering as a result. It is only a matter of when, not if.

I deal with textbooks, sure, but I also deal from many, many years of experience.

Your whole house can be rotting from termite infestation yet you will not know it until the floor falls through.

Boy, I really have to wonder about this message board. I thought people were doing the low-carb lifestyle to BE healthier... not just look better. And I certainly did not expect people to get their panties in a wad because they find out they made a mistake or received the wrong information from someone else.

Just because you FEEL healthy does not mean that you ARE healthy. Just ask my many Fibromyalgia patients.

"I could lift hundreds of lbs., work all day, and never suffered until one day when I got bit by a tick or hit by a car."

If you think your health problems begin on the day a symptom starts then I have some beachfront property in Nevada to sell you.

It is so sad to see such ignorance where the body is concerned. No wonder we are so sick as a society.