Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 16:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Too much water

Hi, all. Is there such a thing as too much water? I read on a different forum that you can take in too much water and it will delay you weight loss. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this. I am concerned because I drink a ton of water and have been stalled for quite a while. But I have lost 65 lbs, but gained 5 lbs back and think I have met my loss limit. Any advise is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 16:44
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Drinking a lot of water will help your weight loss, not slow it. If you don't have enough water you can retain more because your body hangs on to what it has. Other causes of water retention are hormones associated with TOM and high sodium levels.

What do you qualify as quite a while? A true stall is 6 weeks with no weight loss and no loss of inches. A few days isn't anything to worry about. Around TOM, in the third week of this WOE, and at a few other times almost everyone slows down in losing.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 16:48

BF:
Unhappy 16 mos.

I've been doing Atkins for 16 mos. I lost 65 lbs in 8 mos, and in the last 8 mos I've been stalled.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 16:50
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I just looked at your profile. You have been doing amazing and have really stuck to this, congradulations.

Have you had your body fat checked? You might not be able to go down in weight anymore, but through strength training you can tone and sleeken while raising lean weight. If you're male, I appologise for assuming and disregard the TOM (They really need a spot for that in profiles as with some screen names it's hard to tell). Men also experience hormone fluxuations on a yearly cyle, but I'm not sure if it effects water retention. Look at your diet and see if you are having a ton of high sodium foods, such as processed ones. Also see if any extra hidden carbs are creeping in which also can lead to water retention.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 16:54

BF:

I am a female, LOL, and I understand the confusion. And thanks for the great advise!!!